New Forums

Comments

• It seems we lost the like-lol-wtf etc buttons on the mobile skin. Can they be brought back please?

Also, can we move the star you tap to favourite/subscribe a thread either to the far left or far right because you always en up hitting it on a touch screen when your try to select the last page.

Thanks!

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Silas said:
    Pssh. Where are Your stars?
    There's going to be a mark of the twin badge for forums soon.
  • EldEld
    edited October 2012
    Regarding how the stars work, it seems likely (as @Cooper suggested in the Ranting Menace thread - his numbers seem consistent with the people I've checked it for) that the number of stars is based on your points. Points are in turn based on badges and reactions. Badges earn you different numbers of points, which you can view on your profile page. Looks like Likes and LOLs are +1 point each, WTFs and abuse flags are -1 point each, and Disagrees are point-neutral. Based on a little googling, there may also be special moderator reactions that are good for +/- 5 points each.

ETA: if 53 more people like Iocun's above post, we can see whether @Cooper's right about the 500 point threshold for 4 stars.
    Edit 2: Except that @Jurixe has 293 points and only one star, so there must be something else going into it.
  • Also, individual WTFs are worth -1 point, but the 5 WTFs badge is worth +5 points. And says "You received 5 WTFs. We like that." There seem to be some mixed messages going on here.
  • Eld said:
    Also, individual WTFs are worth -1 point, but the 5 WTFs badge is worth +5 points. And says "You received 5 WTFs. We like that." There seem to be some mixed messages going on here.
    That's pretty WTF.
    Mathonwy said:
    dactylic hexameter is
    way more interesting than the inside of anyone's vagina.
  • @eld Jurixe has 3 stars for me.

• Cooper said:
    @eld Jurixe has 3 stars for me.
    Ah, for me too, now. In that case, I stand by the rest of what I said in that post.

• To add to the above, the moderator-only thumbs-up is promote, which apparently gives +5 points to the post and +3 points to the user. And the icon for it looks like Sarapis is giving you the finger.
  • Feels like learning to use the forums all over again! I miss the old emoticons, though the new LOL/like/WTF/dislike is cute.

• A lot of this is only minimally under our control unfortunately. We don't have an option of changing the values of the different reactions (like, wtf, etc), just enable them or disable them. This forum software is pretty slick but (or maybe because of) it lacks the ability to configure it to the same deep level that more established forum software does.
  • I would have had 6 stars if this system was in place on the old forums, definitely.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Is it possible to make the forum or sub-forum with the most recently updated thread appear on the main page like it did with the old forums? I find it rather irritating to have to go into the tech support forum and then into each individual sub-forum to see if any of the threads have been updated. 

I'd like to be able to see just by looking at the forum main page if something was updated in one of the sub-forums.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Is it just my phone, or have the lol/wtf/dislike options stopped showing on the mobile version?
  • @Rajan The only one I have on my phone is flag.

Has the font changed for everyone or is it just me? (Not the font of peoples' comments, but things like the "You can use Simple Html in your post" message or the "Draft saved at <time>" popup.)
  • All I have is Quote. All the fonts look the same.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Would be sweet if houses could have private invite-only house forums here to share combat logs, scripts etc.  
  • Jonathin said:
    Is it possible to make the forum or sub-forum with the most recently updated thread appear on the main page like it did with the old forums? I find it rather irritating to have to go into the tech support forum and then into each individual sub-forum to see if any of the threads have been updated. 

I'd like to be able to see just by looking at the forum main page if something was updated in one of the sub-forums.
    I've been using the Recent Discussions page. It doesn't distinguish between subfora, sadly, just lists all discussions from most to least recently updated. Not ideal, but I find it better than checking the subfora individually. You can also watch individual threads so that you get notifications when someone posts something new. That seems to send you emails, too, though, which would get spammy for my tastes; not sure if that's configurable. Also, on the main Categories page, you can hide subfora, which prevents the threads there from showing up on Recent Discussions.
  • I use Recent Discussions almost exclusively. I rarely have any reason to visit the main page, and I only go to a specific section when I'm looking for a specific thread that hasn't been posted in recently.

The downside to this is that I usually don't notice what section a thread is in (though it's often obvious enough from the thread's content).
  • The forum has just turned into a new look...I like it!
  • Thanks! I decided it needed a more exciting background.

• It IS more exciting!
  • edited October 2012
    Achilles said:
    Would be sweet if houses could have private invite-only house forums here to share combat logs, scripts etc.  
    I fear that this would promote mixing up IC and OOC even more than currently, as it encourages only to share your OOC knowledge/scripts with those who have characters in the same org as your character. Yes, I know that there are certain very specific circumstances where this might be warrented, but I feel that it shouldn't be encouraged more than necessary.

I did sometimes feel though that it would be nice to have house forums simply for discussing OOC reasonings behind making certain IC decisions. E.g. you think your house should take Twilight as patron, but can't find a good enough IC argument to support it, so you could discuss the issue on an OOC level and if enough people agree you can find some IC argument for it together. But the point still remains that if such forums existed, they would be used for all sorts of things that would not need to happen on such forums, leading to a weaker IC/OOC boundary.
  • edited October 2012
    @Sarapis You said before that with these forums, there's no way to allow multiple choices of themes. If that's still the case, I think the theme should be plain enough that it's suitable for anyone.
  • Oceana said:
    Sarapis said:
    Thanks! I decided it needed a more exciting background.

It looks nice, but there is no way I can pass this off as something suitable for a work environment. Will there be optional "boring" looking skins in the future?
    Actually I agree with this.  I liked the "boring" version because it blends in with the rest of my work life. :P
  • Can we at least do something about the Chaos lady resembling a Siren wearing pasties? It's not exactly work-friendly. 
  • Hadn't really considered the work thing!

So, since we can't have multiple skins, is there any level of graphics in the background that would be acceptable or is it more about having something that looks distinctly fantasy up on the screen at all that's the problem? 
  • Something like the vines/background on the Achaea emblem, perhaps.
  • edited October 2012
    How' about a darker theme that's not so eye-grabbing 'HEY YOU'RE NOT WORKING!' style. (Such as the huge Achaea banner up top currently is.