Longer time to get a Mentor

This is all my opinion, I simply hope some people will agree with me and help to make the change happen.

Basically, everything I'm going to cover in this discussion will be as the title says. Making the time limit you have to get a mentor... longer.

Obviously I have reasons to back this up. When I first joined Achaea, I had no idea what a mentor was, much less that I had a time limit to get one. I was informed by my House shortly after joining and running through some 'help scrolls'... but not everyone will have a house to tell them this.  Not only that, but mentors are apparently permanent. They cannot be changed, or so I was told by one of the help scrolls. Perhaps that is a house rule, or maybe it's actually true throughout the game... I do not know. What I do know is that one can't choose who they want as their mentor in 50 hours when there are 10 mentors to choose from and they have that long to get to know them.... while leveling up, reading help scrolls, exploring, completing your tasks, and learning the game in general. Not only that, but the mentors might not be online at the same time as you, so those hours are being spent away from the time limit without making any progress toward picking a mentor. See what I'm saying? 50 hours isn't enough time to check out all of your options and make a choice that will be irreversible. It took me 3 days and 10 hours before I could finally pick a mentor that I knew I would be able to follow, only to find out that I had a 50 hour limit and can't have her as my mentor at all. 

More reasonable options (in my opinion) :
  • 1 ~ 2 weeks, total. Not hours online, but a timer that ticks down from the day you log in. 
  • 95 Hours of online game-time. 
  • No time limit at all.
  • Level 50 and 300 hours of play time (the requirements to be a mentor yourself). - Sena
I hope some people can agree with me on the matter. I would really love to get a second chance for a proper mentor, but that 50 hour limit doesn't allow for that. I think it's a bit ridiculous that I can't have a mentor simply because I actually worked toward picking one that I would be compatible with, as well as one that teaches what I am interested in learning.

Comments

• I agree that the time in which you can gain a mentor should be extended.
  • Bump~
    9 people already! Thanks for the support guys! If you can, get others to come in and comment, hopefully bring this to attention. =)
  • NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    I vote for @Sena's suggestion.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    I never even knew what mentors were when I first started, and then I was past being able to choose one at all.

I would definitely encourage increasing the time limits for choosing.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Eld said:
    Amunet said:
    A newcomer actually -can- change mentors, provided they have played under fifty hours. They must first RENOUNCE MENTOR, and then, if they have played less than fifty hours, go find a different one. Mentors can also RENOUNCE PROTEGE. You are never stuck with a mentor (or a student) that you dislike.

If the bolded is true, HELP MENTORS should be changed to reflect it. It's always been my understanding that you cannot choose a new official mentor, even if you renounce your first and still meet the requirements to choose one. Hence, from HELP MENTORS:

"AGREE with care, since you may never have another mentor, even if you end up getting rid of this one."

QFT.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • edited May 2013
    Final Bump~!
    If anyone of you can get somebody who hasn't seen this topic to see it, please do! I'll leave you all alone now and let this topic grow on its own. Thanks for the support, everyone! <3<3
  • edited May 2013
    Heh, I don't think any bumping or further support is needed. Just give Cardan some time to come by! I doubt one or two people more or less saying "I like it" will have a profound effect on his decision.
  • edited May 2013
    Amunet said:
    That having been said, I think the level requirement for mentoring ought to be boosted to seventy or so, and the play time requirement for mentoring should be at least a hundred hours longer. I also think that the revocation of one's mentoring privileges ought to be a more common punishment. People who haven't the sense to behave themselves probably haven't the sense to be conscientiously or competently helping a newbie.

I don't agree with making the requirements to be a mentor higher. With level 50 and 300 hours, it's perfectly reasonable. Especially for people who actually want to be mentors, like the mentor I wish to be my mentor. She is not level 70 yet, I don't believe, but she has probably played more than 300 hours, if not close to that. She just recently became a proper mentor, as well. I don't think it would be fair to knock out those who actually worked for the mentor status based on level. The hours, on the other hand, are not altogether a bad idea... but why add more? What is your reasoning behind that? The only way I see it as a bonus is that the mentors get more experience in the game that they can then more effectively pass on to their pupils... but 300 hours is enough for that, isn't it? I would think it is.

Sorry >.<  I am not experienced with this forum.
  • HELP MENTORS is wrong. I changed mentors.

It should be allowed. They should adjust the scroll and allow people to change mentors. It's a difficult, long-term choice with far-reaching implications. 

For example, I chose Antidas as my mentor because he represented everything I was told a Naga should be - he was an exemplary Mhaldorian warrior and Naga assassin. Two days later he joined new-Shallam...

this actually worked out, because I was interested in defecting my self, but if I hadn't been, I would have been SOL where mentor is concerned. Kind of hard to get the hunting bonus with a mentor who is the #1 enemy of your House and City. :D 
  • Amunet said:
    That having been said, I think the level requirement for mentoring ought to be boosted to seventy or so, and the play time requirement for mentoring should be at least a hundred hours longer.
    Rather than just raising the level and time requirements (which still don't guarantee that someone is ready to be a mentor, or even has any clue what they're doing), I'd like to see some sort of test or challenge that you have to pass before you're able to take on proteges.
  • Sena said:
    Amunet said:
    That having been said, I think the level requirement for mentoring ought to be boosted to seventy or so, and the play time requirement for mentoring should be at least a hundred hours longer.
    Rather than just raising the level and time requirements (which still don't guarantee that someone is ready to be a mentor, or even has any clue what they're doing), I'd like to see some sort of test or challenge that you have to pass before you're able to take on proteges.
    The problem I see with that is that it either has to be administered by a real person, which leads to questions on the suitability and availability of testers for potential mentors, or it has to be automated, which means the responses could be scripted, thereby making it even easier for non-suitable people to become mentors...
    Hiroma tells you, "I just got to listen to someone complain about your deadly axekick being the bane of their existence."
    Archdragon Mizik Corten, Herald of Ruin says, "Man, that was a big axk."
    Hellrazor Cain de Soulis, Sartan's Hammer says, "Your [sic] a beast."
  • TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    +1 to this idea.

• I like Sena's idea. Extend the time that you may take a mentor up to the time you actually become a mentor.

• Approval. :)

• What about the walkto, the 20 lessons per set and the hunting bonus? Would they still exist for a switched mentor? (Are we to interpret practical impact = credits? )
  • Correct on the practical impact.
  • Oceana said:
    What about the walkto, the 20 lessons per set and the hunting bonus? Would they still exist for a switched mentor? (Are we to interpret practical impact = credits? )
    What hunting bonus?
  • KatzchenKatzchen Mhaldor
    edited September 2013
    Oooh... I could finally cross off that darn task!

ETA: Maybe make it so you can only change it once a year? Otherwise you're going to get people just switching it to whoever they're currently hunting with.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• Sylvance said:
    Oceana said:
    What about the walkto, the 20 lessons per set and the hunting bonus? Would they still exist for a switched mentor? (Are we to interpret practical impact = credits? )
    What hunting bonus?
    There's an experience boost for hunting with your mentor (for both of you).

• Eld said:
    Sylvance said:
    Oceana said:
    What hunting bonus?
    Enough of a boost to make it worthwhile (mechanically), or just better than current group bashing?
  • Best dead thread revival ever.
    ~
    You close your eyes momentarily and extend the range of your vision, seeking out the presence of Drugs. 
    Though too far away to accurately perceive details, you see that Drugs is in Mhaldor.
  • Sylvance said:

Eld said:
    Sylvance said:
    Oceana said:
    What hunting bonus?
    Enough of a boost to make it worthwhile (mechanically), or just better than current group bashing?
    Enough that I found hunting with my mentor when we were both in the 80s seemed worthwhile. Not sure on the exact magnitude.