Ramping up conflict

I have two ideas that I think would be awesome to ramp up conflict in the game.

#1 - The red fog. I think it would be totally awesome if Grove users would be given the ability to "smudge out" the red fog like Necromancers exterminate the forests. The purpose of this effect should have some kind of mark on gameplay, like forests losing plant life or Grove users unable to utilize that once-part of the forest. (grove, flow, any forest ability). Perhaps introduce a small varied chance for fail of Necromantic abilities or loss of necro power regen or the cap lowered on how much they have while the fog is away. It could be their power source. Alternatively, we would obviously take damage standing in the red fog, but not any greater than forest defenses.. We could be enemied to it much like Oakstone's purpose. We could call this ability "renew" since the red fog is sort of desecration of the land.

#2 - It would be nice if being a member of Oakstone gave you the ability to rejuvenate forests, as the amount of Druid and Sylvan combatants is low and/or often snuffed out when Mhaldor is exterminating. This would give us more people to rejuvenate forests that are around. It would also give being a member of Oakstone a bit more usefulness than enemy tracking and calling out exterms.

Comments

• Two-page countdown to Godwin's Law.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Because nobody has suggested this idea before.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    98th time lucky.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Needs more sprinkles, @Kinilan.

• Hitler liked ramps. (you know, probably)
  • Hasar said:
    Needs more sprinkles, @Kinilan.
    You go to hell!
  • Tvistor said:

Hitler liked ramps. (you know, probably)

Ramps? You mean those things they install to make life easier for disabled people?

For some reason I can't see Hitler being a fan of those.
  • Tvistor said:
    Hitler liked ramps. (you know, probably)

Wow... Seems I underestimated...
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • You mean easier for disabled people in TANKS.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    I sincerely laughed

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• This derail was both formidable and probably incredibly insensitive.
  • You are the Azn Larry David.  You may be an asshole, but at least you're not a bald asshole.  That's what I tell myself every day.
    ~
    You close your eyes momentarily and extend the range of your vision, seeking out the presence of Drugs. 
    Though too far away to accurately perceive details, you see that Drugs is in Mhaldor.
  • edited September 2013
    #1 seems like a valid question though.  Does the forest convey benefits to grove users that are so much more powerful than other factional abilities, that they should have to "pay a higher price", or are they roughly equal, and those other factions (and maybe not just Mhaldor) should also have vulnerable territory that must be defended and repaired in order to maintain full functionality?  
    The consensus is that forest conflict is broken and will be looked into. Well, at least the first part is. The second part, I think I read it somewhere. Not completely sure.

• When has forest conflict not been broken? How long did it take them to nerf Inferno? Forest conflict being looked into feels just like 'Ships are coming soon!'.
    ~
    You close your eyes momentarily and extend the range of your vision, seeking out the presence of Drugs. 
    Though too far away to accurately perceive details, you see that Drugs is in Mhaldor.
    *shrugs* It is what it is

• edited September 2013
    Kinilan said:
    Jonners said:
    How long did it take them to nerf Inferno?
    About as long as it took for @Sabiru to set all of Meropis on fire. Oh god that was glorious. Every possible room on fire.
    Man, I remember Anarchaea.. EVERYWHERE was on fire!
    ~
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • What's sad is that your post is the first that linked that thread. The rest were more akin to the image I posted, at least to someone making their first forum post.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Alright, I thought about this and here is what I came up with.

The Red Fog smudging....No.

Before Alchemists, Oakstone used to just threaten to ban you from getting potions and things and enemy if you gave it to them. Necromancers are supposed to be evil so gaining life essence from the forest makes sense and is definitely fun for conflict. Forestbinding is basically useless now and I am actually very unsure what powers the Oakstone has other than Tracking and Exterm...seeing that was mentioned here. Alright so some ideas that are interesting is, since necromancers exterm the forest and we definitely want conflict is to maybe have forestals go to Mhaldor isle and get some kind of "regent" from the fog that can be used to protect an area of the forest for X amount of time. So it gives Eleusis a reason to go there and initiate combat while protecting the forest and Mhaldor a reason to go into the forest and suck the life out of the plants.

(╯° _°)╯︵ ┻━┻ You are now free to complain about what I write!

• TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    No idea what this thread is about (but hi Geraint!), I just know that whatever the hell icon Blujixapug posted up there made the whole thing worthwhile. 

• Achimrst said:
    (╯° _°)╯︵ ┻━┻ You are now free to complain about what I write!

┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ) no
  • Achimrst said:
    Before Alchemists, Oakstone used to just threaten to ban you from getting potions and things and enemy if you gave it to them. Necromancers are supposed to be evil so gaining life essence from the forest makes sense and is definitely fun for conflict. Forestbinding is basically useless now and I am actually very unsure what powers the Oakstone has other than Tracking and Exterm...seeing that was mentioned here. Alright so some ideas that are interesting is, since necromancers exterm the forest and we definitely want conflict is to maybe have forestals go to Mhaldor isle and get some kind of "regent" from the fog that can be used to protect an area of the forest for X amount of time. So it gives Eleusis a reason to go there and initiate combat while protecting the forest and Mhaldor a reason to go into the forest and suck the life out of the plants.

The herb ban only happened pre-autoclass so saying they threw that around is a bit of an overstatement. Forestbinding is not 'Oakstone's' skill, it is a Groves skill that Oakstone regulates even though it's not in the Charter (as I recall).

Your idea is actually pretty neat. My worry with it is how to make it balanced and engaging for both sides.
    ~
  • I see the balance in that you have only so many rooms to 'harvest' or whatever you will do with what I will now call Reagent X and what it would be in the first place. Maybe it's something you get from Lycopods? Just something that is worth the trip for Forestals and something that Exterminators definitely don't want you to have. That is the balance to me. If you get it you can protect a room for X amount of time from extermination. If you don't have it than the rooms are all Extermable and your stuck fighting how we are now.