Talismans

I don't recall doing this before (though we may have and I forgot or wasn't aware), but I thought I'd post a help file for an upcoming system here before the system is released, as I'm curious if there is something obvious from your point of view that I/we are missing here. 

The system is somewhat like Lusternia's curio system, if you're familiar with it at all (I realize most of you aren't), except that our Talismans can require Pieces of multiple levels, and our Talismans drop from mob bashing vs. getting them in the equivalent of giftbags.

Anyway, here's the help file for it. It's what Tecton has been referring to when he mentioned adding new types of rewards for bashing. Effectively, these will make up the first proper 'loot tables' attached to denizens in Achaea. (Loot tables are lists of things and probabilities, adding up to 100%....when you call a loot table, it spits out one of the items in that loot table, with the chance of that item showing up being in whatever proportion the loot table defines compared to the rest of the things in the loot table.)

At first, we're only releasing one set of Talismans, which is aimed squarely at Dragons. There are six Talismans in the Dragon set, and completing each individual Talisman gives someone level 99 or higher the ability to change into a Dragon of that colour. Once you complete all six Talismans in the set, you gain the power to Dragonform much more quickly, you get a new room look message, and get to choose from one of five new leave/enter message pairs. The first five people to complete the set will define what those five message pairs are for everybody who comes after. 

So, read away and feel free to comment! (And to reiterate, note that of this posting, this system is NOT live.)

Talismans are special kinds of items whose pieces must be first gathered in order to create them. The completed Talisman then grants permanent or temporary power to the owner. For instance, if a Dragon completes the Black Dragon Talisman, that adventurer will now be able to choose to change into that type of Dragon as well as whatever colour of Dragon she had chosen previously.

The basic command for dealing with Talismans is TALISMAN. Typing that on its own will show you the syntax for the various Talisman commands.

Pieces
------
Each Talisman is composed of two or more Pieces of a particular level. Each Piece you acquire has a level to it, from 1 to 20. Two Pieces of the same level may be combined into a Piece of one level higher. For instance, two level 3 pieces will create a level 4 piece, and similarly, you can break a level 4 piece apart into two level 3 pieces.

Pieces, like most Talismans, are not normal items - you can't give them, wield them, put them in your backpack, drop them, or so on. All interaction with them is done through the base Talisman command.

You can acquire Pieces in two ways: buying from/trading with other players, or by killing denizens that have a chance of dropping Pieces. However, there is no way to know which denizens have a chance to drop which kinds of pieces by just looking at them. Only experience and the wisdom of your fellow adventurers can help you there. 

TALISMAN PIECES - Shows you what Pieces you have.

TALISMAN COMBINE <piece_keyword> <piece_level> - Lets you combine two identical pieces into one of a higher level.

TALISMAN SPLIT <piece_keyword> <piece_level> - Splits a piece into two pieces a level lower than it.

TALIMAN TRADE PIECE <piece_keyword> <piece_level> TO <adventurer> FOR <piece_keyword|amount|nothing> [piece_level] <GOLD>

That last one deserves a bit of explanation. The beginning should be clear enough, but the end of the command may be a little confusing. You can trade FOR BLACKDRAGONCLAW 3 to trade for a level 3 Black Dragon Claw, or you could trade FOR 1000 GOLD or you could trade FOR NOTHING to just give it away.

Talismans
---------
TALISMAN LIST will show you a list of Completed Talismans, Incomplete Talismans, Talisman Sets (more on that later), and any completed Talismans that are physically in your inventory. 

TALISMAN INFO <talisman keyword> will show you information about a particular Talisman, including the Piece requirements to complete it.

TALISMAN COMPLETE <talisman> will let you complete a Talisman if you have the correct Pieces and, in many cases, if you are in the correct room. It's up to you to decipher where you must be to complete a Talisman if a particular room for completion is required.

Completing a Talisman will do one of two things: It will either create an item in your inventory (a physical Talisman item) or it will simply grant you a permanent power.

TALISMAN POWERS will show you the Talisman-derived powers you have.

In the case of a Talisman that produces a physical item in your inventory, you'll find that you either have a passive power available to you as long as it's in your inventory, or that you'll have to USE <Talisman item in your inventory>. 

Talisman Sets
-------------
Most, but not all, Talismans are part of Sets. A Set of Talismans is a thematically-related group of them, and completing all the Talismans in that set will yield you yet another Talisman. 

Once you've completed at least one of each Talisman in a Set, you can TALISMAN ACTIVATE <set>, which will grant you whatever reward there is for completing that Set.

For instance, completing the Dragon set of Talismans (the first set to be released) will allow someone who is already level 99 to Dragonform much much more quickly than previously, will change their room look description, and will allow them to select from five new enter/exit messages for their Dragonformed character.

Comments

• Sarapis said:
    I don't recall doing this before (though we may have and I forgot or wasn't aware), but I thought I'd post a help file for an upcoming system here before the system is released, as I'm curious if there is something obvious from your point of view that I/we are missing here. 

The system is somewhat like Lusternia's curio system, if you're familiar with it at all (I realize most of you aren't), except that our Talismans can require Pieces of multiple levels, and our Talismans drop from mob bashing vs. getting them in the equivalent of giftbags.

Anyway, here's the help file for it. It's what Tecton has been referring to when he mentioned adding new types of rewards for bashing. Effectively, these will make up the first proper 'loot tables' attached to denizens in Achaea. (Loot tables are lists of things and probabilities, adding up to 100%....when you call a loot table, it spits out one of the items in that loot table, with the chance of that item showing up being in whatever proportion the loot table defines compared to the rest of the things in the loot table.)

At first, we're only releasing one set of Talismans, which is aimed squarely at Dragons. There are six Talismans in the Dragon set, and completing each individual Talisman gives someone level 99 or higher the ability to change into a Dragon of that colour. Once you complete all six Talismans in the set, you gain the power to Dragonform much more quickly, you get a new room look message, and get to choose from one of five new leave/enter message pairs. The first five people to complete the set will define what those five message pairs are for everybody who comes after. 

So, read away and feel free to comment! (And to reiterate, note that of this posting, this system is NOT live.)

Talismans are special kinds of items whose pieces must be first gathered in order to create them. The completed Talisman then grants permanent or temporary power to the owner. For instance, if a Dragon completes the Black Dragon Talisman, that adventurer will now be able to choose to change into that type of Dragon as well as whatever colour of Dragon she had chosen previously.

The basic command for dealing with Talismans is TALISMAN. Typing that on its own will show you the syntax for the various Talisman commands.

Pieces
    ------
    Each Talisman is composed of two or more Pieces of a particular level. Each Piece you acquire has a level to it, from 1 to 20. Two Pieces of the same level may be combined into a Piece of one level higher. For instance, two level 3 pieces will create a level 4 piece, and similarly, you can break a level 4 piece apart into two level 3 pieces.

Pieces, like most Talismans, are not normal items - you can't give them, wield them, put them in your backpack, drop them, or so on. All interaction with them is done through the base Talisman command.

You can acquire Pieces in two ways: buying from/trading with other players, or by killing denizens that have a chance of dropping Pieces. However, there is no way to know which denizens have a chance to drop which kinds of pieces by just looking at them. Only experience and the wisdom of your fellow adventurers can help you there. 

TALISMAN PIECES - Shows you what Pieces you have.

TALISMAN COMBINE <piece_keyword> <piece_level> - Lets you combine two identical pieces into one of a higher level.

TALISMAN SPLIT <piece_keyword> <piece_level> - Splits a piece into two pieces a level lower than it.

TALIMAN TRADE PIECE <piece_keyword> <piece_level> TO <adventurer> FOR <piece_keyword|amount|nothing> [piece_level] <GOLD>

That last one deserves a bit of explanation. The beginning should be clear enough, but the end of the command may be a little confusing. You can trade FOR BLACKDRAGONCLAW 3 to trade for a level 3 Black Dragon Claw, or you could trade FOR 1000 GOLD or you could trade FOR NOTHING to just give it away.

Talismans
    ---------
    TALISMAN LIST will show you a list of Completed Talismans, Incomplete Talismans, Talisman Sets (more on that later), and any completed Talismans that are physically in your inventory. 

TALISMAN INFO <talisman keyword> will show you information about a particular Talisman, including the Piece requirements to complete it.

TALISMAN COMPLETE <talisman> will let you complete a Talisman if you have the correct Pieces and, in many cases, if you are in the correct room. It's up to you to decipher where you must be to complete a Talisman if a particular room for completion is required.

Completing a Talisman will do one of two things: It will either create an item in your inventory (a physical Talisman item) or it will simply grant you a permanent power.

TALISMAN POWERS will show you the Talisman-derived powers you have.

In the case of a Talisman that produces a physical item in your inventory, you'll find that you either have a passive power available to you as long as it's in your inventory, or that you'll have to USE <Talisman item in your inventory>. 

Talisman Sets
    -------------
    Most, but not all, Talismans are part of Sets. A Set of Talismans is a thematically-related group of them, and completing all the Talismans in that set will yield you yet another Talisman. 

Once you've completed at least one of each Talisman in a Set, you can TALISMAN ACTIVATE <set>, which will grant you whatever reward there is for completing that Set.

For instance, completing the Dragon set of Talismans (the first set to be released) will allow someone who is already level 99 to Dragonform much much more quickly than previously, will change their room look description, and will allow them to select from five new enter/exit messages for their Dragonformed character.

My only question is... did you steal this from my partytells/etc about my battlemage class at any point? :P
    It's like dead on... which is vaguely disappointing, depending on what these powers are. Although judging by the sound of it, I guess different effects.
    I'll just have to rename Talismans and press on.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • OceanaOceana North Sea
    The text seems pretty clear, but does leave me with questions:
    - Can you activate multiple talismans at once? If so, do the bonuses stack?
    - How many different bonuses are there? Or is it only dragonform faster and change colour?
    - How many talismans make up a set?
    - First five decide on messages? Hmm, how about a referendum within the Gare clan? I'd like to have a say without a greathunt rush.
    - Can physical talismans be lent out/given to others with that power, if so, will it only work for other dragons?
    - Do physical talismans decay?
    - Can physical talismans be pickpocketed?
  • edited August 2013
    Oceana said:
    The text seems pretty clear, but does leave me with questions:
    - Can you activate multiple talismans at once? If so, do the bonuses stack?
    - How many different bonuses are there? Or is it only dragonform faster and change colour?
    - How many talismans make up a set?
    - First five decide on messages? Hmm, how about a referendum within the Gare clan? I'd like to have a say without a greathunt rush.
    - Can physical talismans be lent out/given to others with that power, if so, will it only work for other dragons?
    - Do physical talismans decay?
    - Can physical talismans be pickpocketed?
    - Once you have a Talisman power, you have it forever. They stack.
    - Yes and yes.
    - For the first set of Talismans, it's only change color (for the Talisman powers) and dragonform faster/change room look/change enter/exit message.
    - Six Talismans in the Dragon set but completing those requires the equivalent of thousands of level 1 Pieces. You'll sometimes get drops of level 2 or even level 3 Pieces though. In any case, that number is arbitrary and will differ based on the Set we're talking about.
    - Nope, it will be the first five to achieve it, with admin approval, of course.
    - Physical Talismans will only work for the owner.
    - Physical Talismans do not decay (there are also none of them in the first set, ie the Dragon set)
    - No, and it wouldn't matter if they could. They'll be resetters and will only work for the owner.
  • Oh, I should also mention: The initial areas where you'll get Talisman drops will be:
    Underworld
    Annwyn
    Prin
    Istarion
    Lupine Hunting Grounds
    Vertani area

There are some other powerful denizens outside of those that'll drop Dragon Talismans too, like Yudishthira, Chenubis, Yuthka, big Z, etc.

As other sets get put in, they'll get attached to loot tables we'll create for other mobs in other areas and of other level ranges. Dragon Talismans are for use by people level 99 and up though, so only the powerful mobs will drop them. 

We're going to be putting in Talismans that are, for instance, one-time use artefacts, so don't require a lot of Pieces, but will let people collect little short-term bonuses for themselves while they bash.
  • What 'level' of pieces completes the talisman?  Do you have to get to level 20 for that talisman to be complete?
  • I assume by 'drop' it means you'll get them given to you when the denizen dies?

It would be annoying to deal with people who simply walk in and take talisman pieces when you kill things, since by the nature of bashing you'll always be off balance immediately after killing a mob.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• Jarrod said:
    I assume by 'drop' it means you'll get them given to you when the denizen dies?

It would be annoying to deal with people who simply walk in and take talisman pieces when you kill things, since by the nature of bashing you'll always be off balance immediately after killing a mob.
    Sarapis said:

Maybe that means they are like crowns and get added to your stats instead of being an item you pickup?  Dunno.
  • OceanaOceana North Sea
    More questions:
    - Nothing on Meropis?
    - When will more areas be added?
    - Are the drops only from humanoid denizens?

I am slightly less interested now I see those initial areas, depending on which denizens actually drop these talismans. I only hunt in one of those areas, and even then not all denizens.
  • Oceana said:
    More questions:
    - Nothing on Meropis?

I am slightly less interested now I see those initial areas, depending on which denizens actually drop these talismans. I only hunt in one of those areas, and even then not all denizens.

Yeah, I was bubbling over with excitement until the areas were listed. Now, not at all interested really, heh.

• edited August 2013
    I get the distinct feeling this will not be a 'call in sick' thing, it's going to be something you achieve over eternity.

To get a single level 20 Talisman requires 1,048,576 pieces. Based on the initial post, the most you can get from any one kill is '8' if you get a level 3 one.

Denizen Kills     
    Slain    : 59778
    Levels   : 6079222
    Avg Level: 101

I'm level 103. Unless there's a massive overhaul to the numbers, I don't think this is going to be happening this side of oh...say, 2018? And that assumes one person is going for them, now imagine the 300 active dragons going for pieces. I'm not sure I like this new system at all, it basically turns those specific zones in cluster f-s that won't end for RL years.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Okay, few questions!

First and most importantly, do these pieces drop to the ground like gold/shards/etc, or are they automatically picked up like corpses?

Secondly, is it at all possible for non-Dragons to obtain these Talismans (even if they can't use them)?

Some comments:

The current list of areas is very small (and we have a large dragon population). Moreover, two of those areas are open PK, one is very painful without a group (though possible), and the other three are considerably questionable for people who follow Good. Mind you, the innocence re-definition loosens things up, but that still doesn't mean "kill whatever sentience you want". I've personally never hunted Prin, Istarion, or Vertani, partly out of respect for (stick factions/reasons in here), and the latter two because they were deemed protected for so long. So it's iffy to suddenly have justification to hunt things I avoided in the past, but that leaves very little options.

Lastly, I personally think it would be much more interesting and unique to, instead of detracting from the current colours of dragons by opening up all of them to be able to be picked (and thus colour becomes that much less special), and instead include some Talismans-only new colour options. I know this presents much more thought and work, but it's perhaps something that can be changed in the future, to make this overall set better in the longrun.

Still very excited about the new shiny toys!
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Triak said:
    What 'level' of pieces completes the talisman?  Do you have to get to level 20 for that talisman to be complete?
    In the case of the Dragon Talismans, it's mainly level 7, with some level 3 thrown in. With other Talismans, just depends on what we decide.
  • 128 is much more reasonable, 768 for the entire set. Even at level 1 only, 25% drop chance that wouldn't be too terrible, but it will still be a week long process for the most die-hard bashers, I'd think.

• Oceana said:
    More questions:
    - Nothing on Meropis?

Yeah, this list could stand to have a couple of areas added or tweaked, to take into account the self-imposed restrictions of about a third of the game (Shallam Targossas + Cyrene) regarding not hunting "innocent" sentient NPCs.
  • Sarapis said:
    Triak said:
    What 'level' of pieces completes the talisman?  Do you have to get to level 20 for that talisman to be complete?
    In the case of the Dragon Talismans, it's mainly level 7, with some level 3 thrown in. With other Talismans, just depends on what we decide.
    Can you disclose the drop rates?
  • Jarrod said:
    I get the distinct feeling this will not be a 'call in sick' thing, it's going to be something you achieve over eternity.

To get a single level 20 Talisman requires 1,048,576 pieces. Based on the initial post, the most you can get from any one kill is '8' if you get a level 3 one.

Denizen Kills     
    Slain    : 59778
    Levels   : 6079222
    Avg Level: 101

I'm level 103. Unless there's a massive overhaul to the numbers, I don't think this is going to be happening this side of oh...say, 2018? And that assumes one person is going for them, now imagine the 300 active dragons going for pieces. I'm not sure I like this new system at all, it basically turns those specific zones in cluster f-s that won't end for RL years.
    Lots of incorrect assumptions here, including that you need level 20 Pieces for most Talismans and that you can ever get only one drop from a denizen. We don't really know what the correct drop rates will be yet. My guess is that my initial stab at loot table assignment will be either overly generous or overly stingy by a fair degree, but I'm just not going to know until I see numbers once the system is released into the wild. Initially though, you'll only occasionally get Piece drops from something like the vampires or scorpions in the UW, while Kemnast and the Ur'Vamps will almost always give you a drop, and sometimes give you multiples, and then someone like Ugrach would always give you multiples.

The other thing to consider is that this is just the first set of Talismans. Eventually, the plan is for Talisman Piece drops to be extended throughout most non-newbie areas. The more Talismans / Talisman Sets we introduce, the more prevalent they'll become drop-wise. It's a really big job though, and is only going to happen over time.
  • Melodie said:
    Okay, few questions! First and most importantly, do these pieces drop to the ground like gold/shards/etc, or are they automatically picked up like corpses? Secondly, is it at all possible for non-Dragons to obtain these Talismans (even if they can't use them)? Some comments: The current list of areas is very small (and we have a large dragon population). Moreover, two of those areas are open PK, one is very painful without a group (though possible), and the other three are considerably questionable for people who follow Good. Mind you, the innocence re-definition loosens things up, but that still doesn't mean "kill whatever sentience you want". I've personally never hunted Prin, Istarion, or Vertani, partly out of respect for (stick factions/reasons in here), and the latter two because they were deemed protected for so long. So it's iffy to suddenly have justification to hunt things I avoided in the past, but that leaves very little options. Lastly, I personally think it would be much more interesting and unique to, instead of detracting from the current colours of dragons by opening up all of them to be able to be picked (and thus colour becomes that much less special), and instead include some Talismans-only new colour options. I know this presents much more thought and work, but it's perhaps something that can be changed in the future, to make this overall set better in the longrun. Still very excited about the new shiny toys!
    The Pieces are not normal items. They can't be picked up, can't be on the ground, etc. Think of them like plants when they're in your Rift, except there is no out-rifting.

Non-Dragons can obtain these, yep, but won't be able to do anything with them unless they're level 99+.

Yes, the whole idea is that becoming an Elder Dragon (the term for people who have completed the Dragon Set) is not going to be easy. The fact that two of the areas are open PK is quite intentional. There are only a few areas in the game deemed hard enough for Dragon Talismans. Other Talismans in the future will be a different story, but as Dragon Talismans are aimed at the highest level players, only the highest level areas will drop their Pieces.

• Sarapis said:
    The system is somewhat like Lusternia's curio system, if you're familiar with it at all (I realize most of you aren't),

Uuuugh, I hate the Curio system, and I never got around to be involved with that crap(damn those things are only available to those who buy credits, or shell out a bazillion frigging gold for a piece), so I don't see what the deal is with these Talismans...

Sarapis said:
    except that our Talismans can require Pieces of multiple levels, and our Talismans drop from mob bashing vs. getting them in the equivalent of giftbags.

...Okay, you have my attention now.

• Jarrod said:
    128 is much more reasonable, 768 for the entire set. Even at level 1 only, 25% drop chance that wouldn't be too terrible, but it will still be a week long process for the most die-hard bashers, I'd think.
    Ahh, no, you're misunderstanding. A single level 7 piece is 128 level 1 pieces, but a single Talisman might require, say, six level 7 pieces and one level 3 piece.
  • It might just be me, but this whole thing seems to just be too much effort for very little payoff. Bashing grounds will be camped, etc. It will be a nightmare for insignificant goodies. Imagine a perpetual, open pk Great Hunt that never ends. 

• Wynedere said:
    It might just be me, but this whole thing seems to just be too much effort for very little payoff. Bashing grounds will be camped, etc. It will be a nightmare for insignificant goodies. Imagine a perpetual, open pk Great Hunt that never ends. 
    I'm imagining this, but I don't see what it has to do with the system at hand.
  • Wynedere said:
    It might just be me, but this whole thing seems to just be too much effort for very little payoff. Bashing grounds will be camped, etc. It will be a nightmare for insignificant goodies. Imagine a perpetual, open pk Great Hunt that never ends. 
    Well, if that's the case, it'll only be because people are actually interested in the rewards. If they're not, the areas won't be crowded.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited August 2013
    Sarapis said:

Melodie said:

Okay, few questions!

First and most importantly, do these pieces drop to the ground like gold/shards/etc, or are they automatically picked up like corpses?

Secondly, is it at all possible for non-Dragons to obtain these Talismans (even if they can't use them)?

Some comments:

The current list of areas is very small (and we have a large dragon population). Moreover, two of those areas are open PK, one is very painful without a group (though possible), and the other three are considerably questionable for people who follow Good. Mind you, the innocence re-definition loosens things up, but that still doesn't mean "kill whatever sentience you want". I've personally never hunted Prin, Istarion, or Vertani, partly out of respect for (stick factions/reasons in here), and the latter two because they were deemed protected for so long. So it's iffy to suddenly have justification to hunt things I avoided in the past, but that leaves very little options.

Lastly, I personally think it would be much more interesting and unique to, instead of detracting from the current colours of dragons by opening up all of them to be able to be picked (and thus colour becomes that much less special), and instead include some Talismans-only new colour options. I know this presents much more thought and work, but it's perhaps something that can be changed in the future, to make this overall set better in the longrun.

Still very excited about the new shiny toys!

The Pieces are not normal items. They can't be picked up, can't be on the ground, etc. Think of them like plants when they're in your Rift, except there is no out-rifting.

Non-Dragons can obtain these, yep, but won't be able to do anything with them unless they're level 99+.

Yes, the whole idea is that becoming an Elder Dragon (the term for people who have completed the Dragon Set) is not going to be easy. The fact that two of the areas are open PK is quite intentional. There are only a few areas in the game deemed hard enough for Dragon Talismans. Other Talismans in the future will be a different story, but as Dragon Talismans are aimed at the highest level players, only the highest level areas will drop their Pieces.

----------------------------------------------------

I completely understand and agree these should drop from hard, Dragony denizens.

Doesn't mitigate the fact that this is more difficult for the factions who practices morals while hunting (mostly Targo and a good chunk of Cyrene). :-/ Maybe open up a place or two in Meropis? Perhaps look into some additional bashing grounds to add? I dunno.

It just seems a bit unbalanced when the dragon population is huge already, and then it gets limited down more from the very few areas available.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    edited August 2013
    Come to the darkevil side, we have cookiesmore bashing sites!  >:)

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Thank god for wings >.>
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• wait, so I can finally change my dragon color after like eight years of waiting!?!!!!!