Rapier Pricing. Requesting market data.

2»

Comments

• Tesha said:
    What is this 'go poof' silliness? I really hope there is some kind of better plan, or that this never actually happens. Perfectly fine with paying a hundred credits for a good rapier every few rl years.
    I assume she meant just let them decay as normal.
  • ^Yes :) Posting a lot on mobile the past few days
  • edited August 2013
    Eld said:
    Tesha said:
    What is this 'go poof' silliness? I really hope there is some kind of better plan, or that this never actually happens. Perfectly fine with paying a hundred credits for a good rapier every few rl years.
    I assume she meant just let them decay as normal.
    Rapiers in stockrooms, though... Hrm.

Guess you could just put a maximum decay rate on all forged rapiers in existence but that seems odd
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Wouldn't that effectively rip off a lot of people?
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Jovolo said:
    Forging/Weaponry overhaul can't come too soon. Rapier pricing is dumb in the way that you want it to be and the way that it is currently for both purchaser and forger. 

Two years ago, I could get a pair of 70/150/235 for 30k, 15k each. A year or so ago, I had to pay 35 credits for an 82/158/231. Nowadays, I'd have to pay an extortionate amount of credits for something resembling those rapiers. Neither situation is reasonable for both parties.
    A lot of the pricing is related to supply and demand. With the disappearance of Salik and the unwillingness of a majority of players to invest in forging(a risk-based business) or let their forging triggers run for long periods of time, good rapiers are getting kinda rare lately.

I use a pair of un-runed 72/158/239 and 86/154/231 rapiers and I'm pretty tempted to chuck them in a non-decay room because I think I might have paid close to 100-150 credits for the both of them.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • I bought a 90-146-227 for 60 credits.
  • Just started smelting a batch of 3,000 rapiers, and the highest speed I got so far was 231. I got a few useable rapiers, sold them for 15,000-25,000 gold each or so. It just feels like forging is worse now than it were when I started playing. In those days, you'd get a 230+ speed rapier every few hundred rapiers forged, and 235-239 wasn't all that uncommon. I certainly got a few of them every thousand rapiers I forged. So either I'm exceptionally unlucky now, or forging just produce worse weapons.
  • WessuxWessux Chattanooga
    Katzchen said:
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with a pair of say 70/150/223 rapiers. They're not amazing, but they'll do fine in combat. They are effective. Anything higher just leaves more room for error, and starts making pure damage kills an option.
    Thats not fast enough to two leg disembowel, which is a huge disadvantage in knight combat. And I'm pretty sure even runed those aren't fast enough. So yeah, there is something wrong with them and I wouldn't pay more than 15k for those.
    Invest in a 9mm retirement plan.
  • There is a damn good chance that you will lose money if you try to career-forge rapiers. You might break even. 
  • ValdusValdus Australia
    edited August 2013
    If you  can't pull off a kill with runed 223 Rapiers you're doing it wrong.

Viva la Bluef.
    Valdus said:
    If you  can't pull off a kill with runed 223 Rapiers you're doing it wrong.
    Read the full sentence. I didn't say you won't get a kill I said you would have a disadvantage. And yes runed those aren't bad, but if a knight has to three limb disembowel me, he more than likely isn't going to be able to. It's pretty easy to tumble off that.
    Naisar said:
    I bought a 90-146-227 for 60 credits.
    I want that rapier with my body.
  • HhaosHhaos Cortland, Ohio
    I still have dreams of forging unendingly for days thank the gods for insane clans
  • Wessux said:
    Katzchen said:
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with a pair of say 70/150/223 rapiers. They're not amazing, but they'll do fine in combat. They are effective. Anything higher just leaves more room for error, and starts making pure damage kills an option.
    Thats not fast enough to two leg disembowel, which is a huge disadvantage in knight combat. And I'm pretty sure even runed those aren't fast enough. So yeah, there is something wrong with them and I wouldn't pay more than 15k for those.
    If you can't two-limb disembowel someone with a two-leg setup at 223 speed (or 233 runed), you aren't being particularly inspired.

• More speed doesn't just give you more room for error. There are certain things that simply aren't possible if you're below a certain speed, and other things that become a lot more difficult or take a lot longer.

Can you kill people with a pair of them? Certainly. I don't see any reason to pay 50k for the privilege of doing so though.
  • Antonius said:
    More speed doesn't just give you more room for error. There are certain things that simply aren't possible if you're below a certain speed, and other things that become a lot more difficult or take a lot longer.

Can you kill people with a pair of them? Certainly. I don't see any reason to pay 50k for the privilege of doing so though.
    Oh, I'm not trying to overstate the worth of the rapiers, I'm just saying that his statement of 'not fast enough' at 223 is false. Much further below that and I'd start agreeing, though. 211's are where I start running into walls, but Batista did pretty well for himself with similar speeds, so it's not entirely impossible.

• edited August 2013
    I'd like to see someone attempt a disembowel using only two breaks with 211 rapiers nowadays.
  • I remember @Carmain used to shortsword vivi for fun on people with decent curing, rather consistently.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    i still cba to get decent rapiers. Surviving is a lot harder these days though, it's like they want me to watch the screen while I fight or something, but x3 is too fun.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae