Trade Skill - Pyrotechnics

So, this might be fun as a new tradeskill-cum-goldsink:

Similar in execution to firecrackers, these would trigger ASCII displays when set off at night time. The pyrotechnic itself would be designed by players (yep, would need some kind of approval process for obvious reasons), and they come in four sizes, which become available as the pyrotechnician increases his skill level. Fireworks would need to be expensive to construct to encourage folks to use them sparingly. Also the larger ones require the pyrotechnicians to co-ordinate their ignition within a reasonably short window (similar to Chorale, but with failure resulting in an irritated client and somebody having lost face and gold).

The skillset:

Small Pyrotechnic - Design and create a small firework
Preparation             - Set up a room for larger firework displays (requires wood and time)
Medium Pyrotechnic - Design and create a medium firework
Co-ordinate               - Synchronise ignition with other pyrotechnicians
Large Pyrotechnic     - Design and create a large firework
Logosian Pyrotechnic - Design and create the largest class of firework

Small

Construction costs 5k. Up to three colours can be incorporated into the design. Can be set off in any outside room by anybody with a tinderbox, and is visible in-room only.

Medium

Construction costs 50k (creates two identical fireworks which must be used together). Up to five colours. Visible across an area. Requires two pyrotechnicians to co-ordinate ignition from two outdoor locations in the area.

Large

Construction costs 500k (creates three identical fireworks which must be used together). Up to seven colours. Visible across a continent. Requires three pyrotechnicians to co-ordinate ignition. Rooms can only be prepared at ram's horn locations or onboard ships.

Logosian

Construction costs 1m (creates five identical fireworks which must be used together). No limit on colours. Visible across the material plane. Requires five pyrotechnicians to co-ordinate ignition. Requires at least two pyrotechnicians to ignite from Sapience and two from Meropis.

I've been criticised in the past because my opening posts in an idea thread contain the reasons why it shouldn't be implemented. The reason I'm posting the CONS is because I'm asking for help in overcoming them and trying to show that I've thought about them. Here are the potential CONS:

Jarring - Do people feel that this skillset would break immersion? My personal thought is that there are many similar things in game already that don't seem to have broken it too badly. Journal art, cactus weed, firecrackers all already pretty much do what I'm proposing. Equally, pyrotechnics would only be visible if you are outside at night and within the relevant area. Equally (and here's a place that my knowledge isn't great) the construction process could require reagents based on the colours and the size etc, again making them relatively expensive and giving the Achaean economy a shot in the arm.

Offensive - Nobody wants to see titties or worse pop up on their screen. That's why this would require an approval process. This is also part of the reason for making the larger ones really expensive. Ya know... not that I'm suggesting that there's a correlation between in-game wealth and maturity, or anything...

Pointless - Whilst this might not revolutionise your playing experience, I don't think that it's difficult to think of at least five different reasons/occasions for somebody hiring a pyrotechnician.

As ever, constructive criticism is most welcome.

EDIT: terminology fail
Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
I take my hat off to you.

Comments

• Yes.

Except that the costs are kind of insane. Anything continent-wide, in player hands, regardless of cost, will get old fast. And ASCII designs are incredibly difficult to pull off in a way that doesn't look like puke.

I love this idea though. I love fireworks in this game. And sparkledust. ~*~

I'd say drop a zero from the cost of each. Starting at 500 (or 1000) for small ones seems good. Bear in mind that these would still be a fantastic goldsink, as people are removing gold from the economy completely (it's not just being circulated to other players) purely to see a one-time line of text displayed.

100k-200k for the most grand fireworks, that would be used in the context of festivals or other special events, seems more reasonable than 1m. I've paid less than 1m for features that were added to my city on a permanent basis.

Giving people an ASCII fireworks editor as part of design submissions sounds both awesome and terrible. I'm torn between thinking that most people would come up with terrible designs and therefore nobody should be able to do it, and thinking that I shouldn't underestimate the creativity and talent of people who play this game and this would be a really great toy/tool to see what people do with.
  • edited July 2013
    What if there were a tiered license system?

No license - can shoot fireworks in any non-city area, fireworks designs are unregulated.

City license - can shoot fireworks in any city. Designs are unregulated, but the home city's ruling council can revoke the license.

Sapience license - can shoot large displays seen by all of sapience. Designs must be preapproved by admin and shows must be preauthorized by admin.

Eta- no license abilities OP, lemme think moar
  • There should be non-ascii-art versions of pyrotechnics too, for blind people and/or people allergic to ascii art.

Like, an explosion of asterisks and at-symbols could be the artsy version, while the human-readable version might be something like "A colorful explosion of sparks fills the skies." or something like that.

• edited July 2013
    Antonius said:
    (1) ASCII art is obnoxious, (2) firecrackers in particular. (3) I'd prefer people use their words and actually describe it. If that's good enough for clothing, jewellery and food then I don't see why it wouldn't be good enough for this.
    (1) I honestly think that this comment is just too sweeping to be useful. I've seen some excellent ASCII art in Achaea and have been genuinely blown away by the creativity and effectiveness.

(2) Okay, that's a fair enough opinion, if not one I personally share.

(3) Again, a fair observation, but I think you're comparing apples and pears. Fireworks snatch people's attention (also that of their pets, but let's not let that screw us up too bad here). Sure, a system of describing fireworks would work, but what I'm asking for in the OP is something different

@Antonius - Let's split the difference: How about... firework submissions have to also have a written description, and folks can CONFIG FIREWORKS ASCII/TEXT. This also sorts it out for screen readers.
  • I'd prefer not to have any ASCII. I'm sure that there are people who will disagree with me but I just find it jarring and out of place in a world that's otherwise constructed entirely using words. I know there's a precedent set by firecrackers but personally I'd prefer not to see that encouraged further.

There are also a whole host of potential implementation problems such as people having non-fixed-width fonts, wrapping lines at different points, et cetera. Just because it looks good for the person designing it that doesn't mean it won't look like a mangled mess of random characters to a lot of other people.
  • CONFIG FIREWORKS ART/DESC/ALL
  • I might just like this idea after all.

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    edited July 2013
    No ASCII. Only a handful of people I've ever met can make ASCII art look good on a basic level and even fewer can do complex art. Everything else looks like, as Blujixapug would say, puke.

ETA: without stealing the art from a website, which is actually pretty easy to find.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Ask Lorielan.

• Does Lorielan like dinosaurs and plumbers?
  • Santar said:
    I will submit this. Do you think it will be approved?

Unlikely. It's 90 characters wide. Standard wrap width on Achaea is 80 characters. It's also very tall at 27 lines, which would be broken up into 2-3 sections by 'more' if displayed normally.
  • Gods no. We don't need ASCII art in the hands of players. The few places it is currently are more than enough.
    ~
    You close your eyes momentarily and extend the range of your vision, seeking out the presence of Drugs. 
    Though too far away to accurately perceive details, you see that Drugs is in Mhaldor.
  • This would make me cringe... think of Tanris, man. 
  • edited July 2013
    Mannimar said:
    This would make me cringe... think of Tanris, man. 
    I used to send Tanris tells filled with nothing but left brackets and right brackets.

It was also fun to send him tells with incorrectly typed words/phrases but would sound about the same if you said them aloud, and see if he notices.

• Mannimar said:
    This would make me cringe... think of Tanris, man. 

This is an excellent point, but one that was addressed some time ago. The config options have been suggested for both those who hate ASCII and our VIPs.
  • I think an ascii option would be good, but the plain text description should definitely be the default setting.
  • I'm sorry but I just feel for that poor Divine (prob Phaestus) who would have to actually look through and approve these. The time/reward doesn't seem worth it to me so that you can make unique fireworks. If you're a descent ASCII artist then by all means talk with your Patron about getting some special ones done, but a whole system so everyone can fail at it? No thanks.
    ~
    You close your eyes momentarily and extend the range of your vision, seeking out the presence of Drugs. 
    Though too far away to accurately perceive details, you see that Drugs is in Mhaldor.
  • Just add a custom firecracker ability "pyrotechnics" to jesters, and put it near trans so you don't have alts learning a few hundred Pranks lessons and manufacturing ascii titty bombs to drop in crowds.

Cause titty bombs are for mains.

Q: "But wahhh, I want a tradeskill."
    A: "Jesters do firecrackers. You can wait til multiclass or switch."
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • I agree most with Xith so far, of stuff said in this thread. And his sig is funny.

Miin-aan baash kimini-sij-i-gan bitooyin sij-i-gan-i bukwayszhiigan = blueberry π
  • I wasn't very specific but I don't think 'admin approval' system is necessary. We can already do crazy things with hocuspocus.
    Just needs to be an AB scroll with guidelines like:
    - 'don't attempt to impersonate combat lines'
    - 'use common sense and try to be mature'

Don't really think the second part is necessary. Just reflects on your character and could result in zaps or shrubbings.

As for mechanics, should be something like CONSTRUCT FIRECRACKER <design>
    \n may be used for up to 7 linebreaks, each with a mana cost of 50, in addition to a mana cost for the length of the design (same way hocuspocus costs).
    <#> tag can be used to alter ANSI colour or something (e.g. <9>* ~ <15>+ <9>~ *\n<2>   *....)
    Default firecrackers = 3 per 1 iron
    Custom firecrackers = 1 per 1 iron OR 1 per 2 iron

As for area-wide, create a Pandoran Slingshot artefact that allows LAUNCH FIRECRACKER into the sky.
  • Xith said:
    I don't think 'admin approval' system is necessary.
    3200h, 3850m, ex-
    )____
     ____|)~
    )
    3200h, 3850m, ex-
  • Xith said:
    I don't think 'admin approval' system is necessary.
    3200h, 3850m, ex-
    )____
     ____|)~
    )
    3200h, 3850m, ex-
    Being a small shrubbery, you are able to do naught but perhaps rustle a bit.
  • So tailoring designs need to be checked for Achaean appropriateness but not this? No. Just no.
    ~
  • I'd rather the skill itself have some general skills in it, rather than just design skills. Players like me that arent much into designing but still want the aesthetics would generally be more attracted to it then.

p.s: Please make large firecracker that is dropped in a forestral room cause an inferno >>. Might make some use for douse again
  • Just some concept work; I don't particularly like these, but here we go:

Asmodron said:
    I'd rather the skill itself have some general skills in it, rather than just design skills. Players like me that arent much into designing but still want the aesthetics would generally be more attracted to it then.

Powdersmith - Mix the basic powders necessary for firework creation
    Small Pyrotechnic - Design and create a small firework
    Preparation             - Set up a room for larger firework displays (requires wood and time)
    Flashbang - Make a firework that causes blindness and deafness
    Medium Pyrotechnic  - Design and create a medium firework
    Screamer - Make a firework that panics mounts
    Co-ordinate                - Synchronise ignition with other pyrotechnicians
    Powdermaster - Mix the esoteric powders necessary for exquisite fireworks
    Eyeopener - Make a firework that removes blindness and deafness
    Large Pyrotechnic      - Design and create a large firework
    Logosian Pyrotechnic  - Design and create the largest class of firework
  • Seems neat. I'd have the flashbang cause blackout instead though. What I think would be really neat that could sort of incorporate the original idea. If you're good enough to make ascii look nice you could potentially design some special fireworks for the year 650 celebrations that Merentesh or the Bazaar could sell. Maybe even some special delos denizen.
    ~
This discussion has been closed.