Name Monitoring System

2»

Comments

• At best, this idea would add a layer of elitism and encourage folks to self-appoint themselves as Naming Police. If another players name is really spoiling your experience and it doesn't contain profanity or abunchofwordstogether which utterly shatter the fourth wall then you're probably taking your game a little too seriously.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • JiraishinJiraishin skulking
    edited August 2013
    The only reason I know any LoL related names at all is people bringing up their IG use on the forums.
    Actually, the only LoL name I can remember without doing a forums search is Vayne, because it's been brought up repeatedly.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • edited August 2013
    Sarapis said:
    Zero chance of this happening, and, Ahri, for instance, is perfectly acceptable. There is no name in League of Legends that even comes close to the rule about famous names - the game isn't widely enough played or widely enough known for its names to even come close to violating the rule. There's almost zero knowledge of League of Legend names outside of the people who play League of Legends, unlike Lord of the Rings, or Mario, for instance, whose chief character names are known and recognized worldwide. I've never heard of a single name you mentioned for instance, Xith. 

The rule is not, "Have some people heard of this name." It's "Has pretty much everyone heard of this name." That is distinctly not the case in League of Legends. If you don't play it, you probably haven't heard of the characters.

So that clears it up. It's fine to fanfic yourself into Achaea as long as like 51% of the playerbase doesn't know where you come from. Excellent.

Meanwhile, someone take a stab at explaining why I've now been asked to change the title Dork Lord.
    Was @Bonko ever asked to remove Dreadclown?
    Lot of really fuzzy lines being drawn here. 
    Inuad said:
    Xith said:
     Janna happens to be focused around Air.

"Initiate of Air" is a rank/title for a House, and while it's entirely possible the name was inspired from LoL, I doubt they invested the time necessary to reach that rank just to have a LoL equivalent character.
    A-yup. Couldn't possibly have seen other Initiates of Air before creating Janna in 570 AF. Have to think about what you're saying.

Sylvance said:
    At best, this idea would add a layer of elitism and encourage folks to self-appoint themselves as Naming Police. If another players name is really spoiling your experience and it doesn't contain profanity or abunchofwordstogether which utterly shatter the fourth wall then you're probably taking your game a little too seriously.
    A roleplayer on the highest quality MUD taking his game seriously? No way.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Jacen said:
    You are entirely too worked up about some pretty petty things. Try qq'ing for awhile.
    Thanks, man. I feel better. :) Must have just needed exactly those words. Thanks for getting to the heart of the issue.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • For people who like clear rules the Achaean approach could be incredibly frustrating if you somehow let it get under your skin.  Alternately strict and lax, with inconsistent enforcement of a standard that is, itself a moving target.  Partly just difficult to avoid with such a subjective topic.  The Ahri name does seem to be a valid example of a gripe.  I have never played LoL, but as you mention, the name *only* seems to exist in the context of that game.  Then again, is that so different from pulling a name from obscure mythology?  It's all so annoyingly gray.  Ah well, I have a mother-in-law named Ecidnac (who is appropriately ashamed of her name whenever she pops back into Achaea).  
  • This is all fine and dandy, but what are we going to do about @Dragonknight?

• Direct him to read HELP NAMECHANGE.

• TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    edited August 2013
    nvm not worth it

• Griefer, now there's a name I can get behind.  
  • You people are mean. They removed me from HELP NAMECHANGE already.   :((
  • edited August 2013
    Xith said; Meanwhile, someone take a stab at explaining why I've now been asked to change the title Dork Lord.

Maybe someone linked it with Star Wars, Dork Lord of the @Xith?

To the original topic, there's not much to say that hasn't been. Rules are more relaxed now, people who don't play LoL don't care about LoL and largely unregulatable player input toward new names creates more problems than it is likely to be able to solve.
    ----------
    I play  -Enrai-  -Luhar-
  • Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

• What is this nonsense, there are no Star Wars references here.
  • edited August 2013
    Thanks for making my day, @Xith. A+ thread, well played. Bonus points for the abuse flag on @Amunet's post, that one got me good.

Also, shout-out to @Jacen for some delicious irony.

• Enrai said:
    Xith said; Meanwhile, someone take a stab at explaining why I've now been asked to change the title Dork Lord. Maybe someone linked it with Star Wars, Dork Lord of the @Xith? To the original topic, there's not much to say that hasn't been. Rules are more relaxed now, people who don't play LoL don't care about LoL and largely unregulatable player input toward new names creates more problems than it is likely to be able to solve.
    Or the Dark Lord ie Voldemort... or maybe it's just that you're not actually a Lord, and someone decided to correct the issue. Perhaps someone just had the stand up idea to hold Xith to his own overreaching standards. :)

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• OuraniaOurania The Garden of the Gods
    Sarapis answered.

This discussion has been closed.