Name Monitoring System

So I was going to IDEA this, but it got detailed enough that I thought I'd let other players bounce it around too.

A name reporting system to log names that players catch, to be reviewed by guides or immortals.

This is inspired by the weird ones I've seen lately. Everything from Ahri, to Souplet, to Ttdjeremy. 

Might even use a player-voting system:

- Show the number of times the player's name was flagged by the playerbase. (NAMEBAN SHOW <#> to list reasons?)

- Possibly allow a table of all recently created characters so that none can slip through and become permanent.

(On the subject of Ahri, might just ban all obvious League of Legends references). 

- Perhaps allow the submission system to suggest names that ought to be made unavailable, with the reason included

I've been persnickety about bad names forever, and recently when I went to Romeo, he said Guides don't handle names, so I issued and was told to go to the Guides, and then issued again and was told to IDEA it.

So, name reporting system?

I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.

Comments

• I'm not sure what could be done about it, but some of the names I've been seeing lately have been absolutely horrible. I know that we've slacked some with names, but it's getting pretty bad. It might be time to tighten back up.

• Sounds like it would be more likely to devolve into a way for people to whine about perfectly acceptable names (like Ahri), rather than anything actually useful. Obvious violations of the rules will generally be caught by the guides or gods; you might notice them a bit more often, since under the new system, they're not pushed hard on changing them until level 20 or so, so unacceptable names might stick around a bit longer than previously. 
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    I find it amusing how you stick a name like Ahri, which I think is perfectly fine, with Souplet, or  Ttdjeremy. 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• OuraniaOurania The Garden of the Gods
    The news post is Announce 3821. It also deems what is allowable in the newer HELP NAMES.

If you find any name offensive, then you can use ISSUE ME. Due to the recent change, names that are not suitable will remain longer as they continue through newbie hood. It is preferred that a newbie learns and loves the game before they are barraged with demands to change their name.

Names like Ahri, and Souplet, are perfectly fine. There could be an argument for 'Souplet', but it is a real name, and also when spoken out loud it sounds fine.

The idea is to retain more players, than remove.

Ourania said:
    The news post is Announce 3821. It also deems what is allowable in the newer HELP NAMES.

If you find any name offensive, then you can use ISSUE ME. Due to the recent change, names that are not suitable will remain longer as they continue through newbie hood. It is preferred that a newbie learns and loves the game before they are barraged with demands to change their name.

Names like Ahri, and Souplet, are perfectly fine. There could be an argument for 'Souplet', but it is a real name, and also when spoken out loud it sounds fine.

The idea is to retain more players, than remove.
    I pity whoever is called Souplet irl x.x

• edited August 2013
    So then is there a point to this rule:
    - Very famous names from other fantasy worlds (Gandalf, Goku, Lestat, Zelda)

While the name Ahri would be fine if that rule didn't exist, it happens to point solely to a character from the most-played game in the world.
    We can sidestep Blaze and Zac and Vayne(edit) (which are so non-specific to any world that the existing Achaeans are over 350 years old), but when we have to see a (Khazix/Malzahar/Aatrox/Sona/Teemo/etc.) was born in the flame every few months, it's going to get old. Ahri does count as a very famous name, given that there's even an entire thread on these forums devoted to League of Legends.

I had one of the previous Juliets inform me that Skrillex was a perfectly acceptable name.

As I typed this post, Ooshtargar has been Reborn in the Flame!
    - Overly silly names (Omelette, Bunnyknickers).
    Does everyone agree that it's an inappropriate name? Probably not, but maybe the reviewing system could help determine that with up/down votes.

In the past, Guides haven't been bothered to so much as Google a name like Skrillex. So yes I'd like to ask for a player-aided whistleblowing system.
    The recent change in naming rules seems to have opened the floodgates to compound names and everything left and right. While some are fine, I think there are limits. Bunnyknickers being a great example in the HELP.

My first character name, which I can't state, happened to violate the old "no backward spellings" rule. That was my first introduction to Achaea, and it got caught and I had to change. It made the serious level of the roleplay apparent. And I don't think Achaea needs to completely sacrifice that for "a larger playerbase".
  • I only recognized two of your examples, and only one of them would I ever have an issue with interacting with. 

The admins relaxed the naming conventions so this is what we have to live with.

and Skrillex doesn't exist. Maybe a suicide, maybe a namechange.
  • Mannimar said:
    I only recognized two of your examples, and only one of them would I ever have an issue with interacting with. 

The admins relaxed the naming conventions so this is what we have to live with.

and Skrillex doesn't exist. Maybe a suicide, maybe a namechange.
    He stuck around til 23 or so. Obviously gone now. I'm talking about the lopsidedness. We assume there are Name rules for a reason. Some people get by them. Some don't.
  • Why should other people have to change their still fantasy name because you associate it with something outside of Achaea?

The premise is a terrible one to begin with. Silly names is one thing, names from other fantasy setting is a completely different one.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• Sena said:
    Very few LoL names originated in LoL, a lot are real names (including Ahri).
    There's a difference. If you google Ahri, you get purely League results. If you google Vladimir, notsomuch.
    Jarrod said:
    Why should other people have to change their still fantasy name because you associate it with something outside of Achaea?

The premise is a terrible one to begin with. Silly names is one thing, names from other fantasy setting is a completely different one.
    It doesn't matter if it's still fantasy. Gandalf, etc. are still fantasy names, but from other fantasy genres. When I see a violation of what I know to be the rules, I'd like to know where to go. In case I didn't mention, the admins pointed me to idea'ing this. And these 3 examples including "Ahri" are not the point.

I saw a handful of others recently. I'd just like to be able to flag them at a minimum so the admins know which to review and why.
    If they judge it to be fine, then okay, but it should be timely. It started with this:
    (svo): Have new names (Raesh, Kadol, Greybushmill, Skehatlatla, Souplet, Hyera, Bill, Aethas, Destula) - going to check them.

Didn't know Souplet was a name. Was on the fence about it. It's not too silly either way. But the others are still there. Some would argue that the Aztec-sounding one is still fine. Some would probably agree that it's stupid and possibly an alt intending to make targetting difficult.
    edited August 2013
    @Xith, sorry to break it to you, but Ahri and Gandalf are not on the same league  by far. 

• Shirszae said:
    @Xith, sorry to break it to you, but Ahri and Gandalf are not on the same league  by far. 
    Xith said:
    And these 3 examples including "Ahri" are not the point.

• It's actually been out a few years. I only played recently, but I already recognize the champion names, and it actually is that famous in gaming circles. A small percentage of every playerbase also plays it. Coincidence that we now have Akali (22 years old), Ryze (80), Tryndamere (18), Ahri (19), Aatrox (22), Alistar (91), Janna (70) (Initiate of Air, no less)?

Not that Achaea's mythos is the most solid thing ever to begin with but I'd like to think it has passed the fanfic phase now.
    The numbers for your "fame".

Guess I just needed to know who to approach when concerned with a name. But that's where the queue might also help. Admins having to answer the same issue to four different people who submit the complaint, while a simple list showing
    | Player    |  # of Complaints |
    | Ahri      | 1                |
    | Ttdjeremy | 4                |

might be useful to them. Wouldn't even require replies that way. Cause they're out there already.
  • Every one of those LoL names are perfectly fine in a fantasy setting. and three of them are pre-LoL. In fact some of those names aren't solely League names, so banning them on account of that would be asinine. 
  • They're excusable. Okay. But they didn't pick them because they're pre-LoL. They're too obvious now. Especially when they're obvious clones. Alistar is a Satyr (obviously Achaea doesn't have minotaurs). Janna happens to be focused around Air. Yep. Okay. Akali is a mhun serpent in my house, serpents being assassins, and who had obvious prior combat knowledge.

I'm not just recognizing names. Here's the kicker:

Viridi Tryndamere (male Human).
    He is 18 years old, having been born on the 14th of Chronos, 613 years after the 
    fall of the Seleucarian Empire.
    He is unranked in Achaea.
    He is an extremely credible character.
    He is not known for acts of infamy.
    He is considered to be approximately 0% of your might.
    His motto: 'My right arm is a lot stronger than my left arm!'

That is an in-game catch phrase of the character. 
  • Shirszae said:

The problem with player-submitted flagging is that people will just use it to troll whichever names they happen to dislike for whatever reason (hint, hint), or just to directly troll the newbie, regardless of whether they should be allowed or not. And if the numbers of complaints is displayed, they will just ask their friends for help as well. Such is the nature of people when they want to get away with something.

Cause the point is to troll newbies, right?
    Not to prevent "newbies" from trolling the playerbase? And I don't think I said the newbie needed to be alerted. That's still the guide/admin's job. # of complaints also isn't going to change the admin's decision. One complaint or many, they should be judging based on the criteria they've more or less set in HELP NAMES.
  • Is recognizing these names interfering with your playing experience? I can understand Pinkfrillypanties being a bad name, but even Ooshtargar isn't that bad. I might do a double take, but then whatever. I mean, if people could get over Rocktamer...
  • Mael said:
    Is recognizing these names interfering with your playing experience? I can understand Pinkfrillypanties being a bad name, but even Ooshtargar isn't that bad. I might do a double take, but then whatever. I mean, if people could get over Rocktamer...
    Nah, I just like to throw down 20 paragraphs on a whim.
  • Xith said:
    Mael said:
    Is recognizing these names interfering with your playing experience? I can understand Pinkfrillypanties being a bad name, but even Ooshtargar isn't that bad. I might do a double take, but then whatever. I mean, if people could get over Rocktamer...
    Nah, I just like to throw down 20 paragraphs on a whim.
    Hey, we all need our hobbies. But no, I guess I just can't see it from your perspective. Why exactly do names that are used in other fantasy realms bother you? If we didn't allow them, we'd run out of names pretty quickly as the game gets more players. I stole mine from an Anne Rice novel. Those are/were pretty popular, should I have had to change my name? I don't play LoL, so I don't recognize any of the names you've mentioned. - and I think that's the important thing here. Yeah, it might be annoying when somebody makes a character with a popular name and tries to rp being like them, but does it really cause any harm? Maybe I just haven't encountered enough people in that sort of situation.

Anyways, whatever. 
  • Xith said:
     Janna happens to be focused around Air.

"Initiate of Air" is a rank/title for a House, and while it's entirely possible the name was inspired from LoL, I doubt they invested the time necessary to reach that rank just to have a LoL equivalent character.
  • Sarapis said:
    The rule is not, "Have some people heard of this name." It's "Has pretty much everyone heard of this name." That is distinctly not the case in League of Legends. If you don't play it, you probably haven't heard of the characters.

Ack my bad, I remember that I did try to get Nefarian's name changed and was told by guides it was ok and that you yourself said the name was fine. Was a horrible move on my part cause I really loved WoW back in the day. I think if I had gotten the name change I would have spoilt the experience for a (true) novice who has turned out to be a very productive and valuable member of my house.

This discussion has been closed.