Computer Build

Working on a new system build. Ideallt this system will be capable of six monitor display. Mostly used for Maya and Photoshop as well as other video/photo editing software.In addition it will d double duty editing tracks in the studio. In addition I plan to run Achaea and hopefully netflix/videos at the same time and want to be able to play Minecraft, DayZ, LoL, Sins, and more graphically demanding games at high resolution. My questions are two fold:

Is this build powerful enough for that?

Is it too powerful and essentially wasting money when cheaper parts could do just as well?

Finally which video card setup is best?

Processor(Intel® Core™ i7 3930K Processor (6x 3.20GHz/12MB L3 Cache) over clocking possible.
Motherboard(ASUS Rampage IV Extreme)
Memory(16 GB [8 GB x2] DDR3-1866 Memory Module - Corsair
Video Card(NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan - 6GB - x2 or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB x3
Primary Hard Drive(1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Dual 1TB Drives (2TB Capacity) - RAID 0 High Performance)
Data Hard Drive(1TB Hard Drive -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0GB/s)

Comments

• Might want to consider an SSD for your OS disk and a few programs that could benefit from some speed like Photoshop and video editing. The Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD is pretty good.
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Some thoughts:

- You'd probably want to go to 32GB of ram if you're going to be working with high-poly stuff in Maya or dealing with large graphics in Photoshop.

- Might want to consider a SSD as your primary drive for a good boost to general speed, prices are well under $1/GB

- Probably best not to waste your money on a titan, they have a big "status symbol" tax, if you're doing a -lot- of Maya, you might want to consider a workstation card that Maya can work with to offload processing tasks onto for faster renders. Otherwise I'd go for the GTX 780 cards (depending on the model, you may get away with 2 cards to run a 6 screen setup.)

• That might run Achaea if you put all settings on 'low'.

• NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    :drools a puddle:
  • Thanks for the fast replies. Quick question for @Tecton:

If I tweak my build for 3 GTX 780's, that saves a bundle from the huge price of the Titans.

If I were to get say a 128 GB Corsair Force GS SSD, since my processor can't use SRT would it be worth updating the Data drive to the 10000 RPM Raptor?

If I can make do with 780 x2 I could upgrade to 32 or 64 Ram. Which would you recommend?
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Personally, I'd probably go for a 256GB SSD and use that additional 128GB for your scratch disk, then just save my work on the raid array (which can be plain old 7200rpm really).

As for ram: Start with 32GB, but get it in the highest denomination, so 2x16GB. If you find you need more, you can just get a matching 2x16 kit and go up to 64GB
  • I can't read your name no matter how much I try.

I'd drop down to an i5. You won't be using that to it's full potential with that build so why waste the money to upgrade to an i7? Trust me an i5 will work just fine for your setup. will save you a bit of cash too.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • An i5/slower processor would be fine if he/she/it wasn't going to be primarily doing lots of things in PS and Maya. Definitely need all the power you can get to make those programs run faster and more smoothly when you're doing heavy editing.

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    i'm waiting til the next gen before building a new comp, the heat issues i get with this gen just bleh. Water cooling is decent I think, but don't bother with a fan, unless it's really powerful, and then you have to put up with the noise.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Tried a 10000 rpm harddrive once, made me want to thrash the computer because it was so noisy. I'm guessing you want to put that beast of yours far away from your workplace.
  • Thanks for the help guys. Ended up going with dual sli 780's with a 360gb Corsair ssd the primary. Only went with the 7200 RPM for the raid setup. Was able to up the ram to 32 too. I had no idea the titan was so overpriced.
  • I finally got a PS3 recently, and thought the graphics were pretty good...
  • Etch-a-sketch FTW!
    Hiroma tells you, "I just got to listen to someone complain about your deadly axekick being the bane of their existence."
    Archdragon Mizik Corten, Herald of Ruin says, "Man, that was a big axk."
    Hellrazor Cain de Soulis, Sartan's Hammer says, "Your [sic] a beast."