Potential Newbie

Thinking about trying out Achaea and I was hoping you all could help me out.  I am not interested in Mhaldor as I am really burnt out on the whole "evil" thing from years of RP'ing that role.  So with that being said, what would you all recommend for a good leveling class and a good environment for RP and social involvement?  I will most likely get involved with PVP once I get accustomed to the game's mechanics.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Monk. Ashtan. Ashura.

Brevity is wit.
  • EiredhelEiredhel California
    Hmm, are there any potential alignments you like or want to experience?

Meow, meow, etc. 
    Eiredhel's Family Tree

• VayneVayne Rhode Island
    edited July 2013
    If you are sick of Evil and you want a good PVP class with an active organization I might suggest being a Monk the Black Lotus House in Hashan, but I am a bit bias.  Monk is an all around powerful class with good leveling and PVP ability. The Lotus house is growing a lot right now and has an active conflict against the evil faction.

The Good faction also has a newly emerging, in a way, and strong group that would be good to get involved in as well.
  • A big selling point on where I go will be Divine.  I would really like to be part of an active Order.  After looking at the classes, how is Runewarden or Sentinel at leveling / pvp?
  • Orders with great active Gods are Ourania, Babel, Duecalion, Aurora.

Runie is amazing for bashing, not too sure how Sentinel is.
  • Which organizations are those Gods aligned with?
  • edited July 2013
    Here's the tl;dr explanation of each city:

Mhaldor: super uptight evil RP. extremely quiet. must conform to cliques. constant PK in this city.
    Ashtan: basically an OOC city. expect a WoW-like experience if you go here. Optional but readily available PK
    Hashan: Join Hashan if you got picked on in school and have a corny sense of humor. You'll fit right in. Peaceful city.
    Cyrene: Go here if you don't want to do anything, ever. Social city. Basically an AOL chatroom. Peaceful city.
    Eleusis: Tree-huggers. Go here if you like to snuggle and defend forests. required defensive-PK in defense of forests.
    Targossas: Good aligned city. Mix between hardcore aggressive combat attitude but light and casual social atmosphere. Heavily PK oriented but not required

• Ourania is aligned with Hastan, Babel with Ashtan.
    Duecalion and Aurora are Targossian.

Have heard rumblings that Sartan of Mhaldor is back, too. 
  • Sentinel has pretty rough bashing. They're decently tanky but very slow and run out of endurance easy.

Runewarden is pretty much perfectly rounded bashing wise. Good class all around.

• CarmellCarmell Eastern Washington
    edited July 2013

Aurora and Deucalion both patron Targossas the city of Good, Light and Righteouness.  Both Divine are active.  Their orders are still growing because they are still fairly new Divine but they are getting there.

Babel patrons Ashtan  the city of freedom and chaos.

Ourania patrons Hashan the city that seems to be trying to make a name for itself.  Used to be patroned by Twilight so it's considered the city of Darkness.

• Well, Santar doesn't really make any place sound worth joining except for Targossas.
  • EiredhelEiredhel California
    edited July 2013
    @Santar is biased and needs to go have his afternoon snack. 

All the cities are worth joining, and you will get out of your experience there what you put in. Some cities are easier to get things out of without having to invest, others... not so much. But the great thing about Achaea is that you have the option to try.

Meow, meow, etc. 
    Eiredhel's Family Tree

• @Varak - By choosing NotEvil, you've made your first wise choice in Achaea. You'll go far, buddy.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • CarmellCarmell Eastern Washington
    @Varak  Really it depends on how you want to RP your character.  My Character would never be able to be anything but good.  I know she tried to go evil once.  Didn't even last a rl day.  All cities do have RP opportunities it just depends on the city how you get involved.  Targossas is actually doing very well on the RP thing but we're also a new city so to speak and people are still working on getting the city built up. 
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    When it comes to finding a good atmosphere to play in, there are good elements and bad elements in each city. Once you pick the class, faction, order you want to pursue, you need to make sure you hook up with that good element if you want to succeed. That is the trick in of itself.
  • I recommend Targossas for good PvP and RP.

Ashtan has some good RP if you get involved with the Babel faction and will probably have a lot of PK again once Targossas starts fighting them.

Mhaldor, Eleusis, and Hashan are all involved in PK conflicts currently, as well, but I find their PK to be more boring. I think the fights tend to be larger and with more less-experienced fighters, while Ashtan tends to fight with small groups of experienced fighters and Targossas does a little bit of both.

Cyrene isn't very involved in PvP at all.

• The interesting part of joining Targossas is that it is a city that is in the middle of construction. One thing you will notice is that we do not have Houses yet. While this may sound like a Bad Thing©, I personally see it otherwise, as novices will experience the culture of the city first, before being able to transition to one aspect of Good ideology by means of Houses. You could even think of Targossas at present as a City-House amalgamation. 

• AmunetAmunet Spokane, Washington, USA
    edited July 2013
    I can assure you that everything @Santar has said about Ashtan is utter crap. It is not that I think your character would fit in well with Ashtan - the Chaotic faction is still kind of the "bad guy", albeit in a more ambiguous sense - but I would rather not allow any new player to get the impression that the players in Ashtan are a bunch of screw-abouts. Santar left Ashtan something like six real-life years ago, and the most contact he has had with the city since then has been on the battlefield. A lot can, and has, changed in that amount of time. I've done my best to make sure of it.

If you are tired of playing "evil" characters, then I would suggest giving Targossas a chance as long as you are not put off by the idea of adhering to a strict ideology. If you would rather play a more neutral character, Hashan or Cyrene might be more to your tastes. Take your time with the decision, and perhaps seek out some members of these locations in the game to get an in-character idea of what each city and its Houses are about. Good luck!
    My avatar is an image created by this very talented gentleman, of whose work I am extremely jealous. It was not originally a picture of Amunet, but it certainly looks a great deal like how I envision her!
  • edited July 2013
    Sorry, I may have been misleading @Amunet.

75% of Ashtan treats the game like a WoW-like MMO. The other 25% never moves from the Ashtan bar.

Yes, I'm generalizing the city. Obviously there are a lot of facets regarding each city. But in general, the point is that Ashtan is the "be whoever by doing whatever" city.

• AmunetAmunet Spokane, Washington, USA
    2/10. You can troll better than that.
    My avatar is an image created by this very talented gentleman, of whose work I am extremely jealous. It was not originally a picture of Amunet, but it certainly looks a great deal like how I envision her!
  • @Santar's one-line descriptions naturally wouldn't give each city justice, given that cities are player organizations, and thus are basically living entities of their own, full of imperfections, exceptions, change, and even subcultures. Plus, they're just his perceptions rather than hard rules or anything like that.

My own limited experience with Ashtan suggests it's more accurate to say that they do what they please, whether that's roleplaying, treating the game like a WoW clone, or spending all their time hanging out in other cities.

• Which classes are allowed in Targossas?
  • @Varak: Probably better to list what are not allowed:
    -Necromancy classes(Infernal, Apostate)
    -Occultist
    -Forestal classes(Druid, Sentinel, Sylvan)
    -Shamans

• CaoimhaenCaoimhaen Targossas
    Monk. Sect of the Black Lotus. Hashan. The Lotus is all about discipline, respect and unity! Hashan is pretty awesome with its freedom of speech. Some relaxed and friendly people. We do love a good time.:)

• Pretty much all the cities are fun to play in except Cyrene.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Cyrene was fun when it was a good place to be. I think my first 2-3 years of playing were fantastic there, and probably my first two months back after dormancy. Most of the people are great and I think you tend to see a lot more random RP there too, especially with awesome denizen interaction at CC. I imagine Cyrene is still very fun for the citizens still there too.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Sidonia
    said:
    Pretty much all the cities are fun to play in except Cyrene.

Why except Cyrene?
  • Ranagaen said:

Sidonia
    said:
    Pretty much all the cities are fun to play in except Cyrene.

Why except Cyrene?
    In soviet Cyrene.  You no play in Cyrene, Cyrene play in you.
  • Cyrene is a good place if you like mountains.