Config Colour <org>_enemies #

A server-side way to highlight faction enemy names would be infinitely useful for everyone and would alleviate the need for thousands of client-side highlight triggers. Thoughts?
~
You close your eyes momentarily and extend the range of your vision, seeking out the presence of Drugs. 
Though too far away to accurately perceive details, you see that Drugs is in Mhaldor.

Comments

• Jonners said:
    A server-side way to highlight faction enemy names would be infinitely useful for everyone and would alleviate the need for thousands of client-side highlight triggers. Thoughts?
    Honestly, I would love to see this implemented.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Well, I see no reason -not- to implement this. I just don't think its very high priority.

• Antidas said:
    Your idea isn't good enough to be implemented anytime soon.
    I think highlighting various things should be more readily available serverside, and I doubt the code to implement it is all tha complicated. However, I think before we get more highlighting options, we need to get more color options, which probably -would- require some extensive coding. So, yes please, but moar colors!!!
  • Antidas said:
    Well, I see no reason -not- to implement this. I just don't think its very high priority.
    Reducing latency isn't a high priority?
    ~
    You close your eyes momentarily and extend the range of your vision, seeking out the presence of Drugs. 
    Though too far away to accurately perceive details, you see that Drugs is in Mhaldor.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Why would it reduce latency? You're telling the server to colour things for you, among everything else that it does regarding enemies instead of doing it client-side like we do now.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Because I didn't think it through? Nothing to see here.  :-\"
    ~
  • I'd like this if it was more customizable or generic or something than "faction enemies."

Maybe personal allies and personal enemies? Maybe people could maintain a list of X VIPs that get highlighted? Maybe there could be an artefact thing that expands that list?

• Nim said:

I'd like this if it was more customizable or generic or something than "faction enemies."

Maybe personal allies and personal enemies? Maybe people could maintain a list of X VIPs that get highlighted? Maybe there could be an artefact thing that expands that list?

Wow, totally misread OP... I thought this was about personal enemies.

-1 to highlighting faction enemies. If you want to know who they are then check the scrolls. If you RP with faction enemies by accident... then well done. You RPd.
  • edited July 2013
    @Sylvance: Highlighting enemy names very rarely has anything to do with avoiding interactions with them... There are all kinds of benefits for combat, especially in groups, from having names highlighted.

Also let's not pretend this isn't something most people already have.
  • Antonius said:
    @Sylvance: Highlighting enemy names very rarely has anything to do with avoiding interactions with them... There are all kinds of benefits for combat, especially in groups, from having names highlighted. Also let's not pretend this isn't something most people already have.
    Yeah, fair enough.
  • edited July 2013
    As I think about this it should be expanded to include your character's House, City, and Order mates too. Maybe clans, personal allies and enemies like @Nim said? Not sure how you'd prioritize it for people that fit into multiple categories though, hopefully that would be configable as well?

So much for this being a, hopefully, simple idea.
    ~
  • Yeah if it's server-effective this doesn't sound bad at all.
    Rather than basing on enemies though I'd say just pull their citizenship. In other words CONFIG COLOUR CZMHALDOR # [#]
    And also CONFIG COLOUR ALLY/ENEMY # [#]

let enemy highlighting take priority so that when enemy list is called on PT you can see Mhaldorian names in 9 (red) and your personal enemies in 1 (dark red)

of course if this adds any significant lag I'd probably oppose it, but a citizenship check sounds faster than a cityenemies check.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • I do like @Xith's idea (found that quite difficult to type). I'd also love to see something similar for enemy soldiers (i.e. soldiers of a city that your city is at war with). Saves the hassle of ganking an enemy soldier only to realise that they already ragequit the military due to chronic rectal pain. 

PS - inb4 'u shud honors evry1 each time ur gonna attak dem'
  • Not going to happen. Much more efficient to do this client-side. 
  • For a newb? My thoughts were for them as much as for the rest of us.
    ~
  • Sarapis meant processor efficiency.  It's better program design to implement custom highlighting on the client because of how the task scales with users and its purely cosmetic nature.  The issue is muddied somewhat because IRE doesn't have complete control over the clients used to connect to their server, but it doesn't change the fundamentals.  The marginal benefit of this highlighting (lessened even more by the fact that some users can do this already) doesn't outweigh the cost.  
  • Jonners said:

For a newb? My thoughts were for them as much as for the rest of us.

We just tell the newbs what we always do: get Svo.
  • I wouldn't say it's purely cosmetic, but I understand your reasoning.
    ~
  • Xith said:
    For a newb? My thoughts were for them as much as for the rest of us.
    We just tell the newbs what we always do: get Svo.
    There are plenty of highlighters out there that are free. Vadi ran a modified one that he picked up for a while, and several other people picked that one up and modified it for themselves. I supported a modified version of it for a while, before I discontinued its use in favour of something better.
  • You folks take @Xith's comments entirely too seriously. So do I.
  • Yeah guise. Why so serious?