clients for ipad.

i've looked around and around .. and around .. and, so far, i haven't been able to find anyone who uses an ipad to play achaea [or any mud, for that matter]. because i myself use an ipad actively, i thought i'd post a discussion for reference, for those of you who are/have been curious about the mechanisms of using a tablet device to play the game we all love :) first of all .. client apps are awful. second of all .. playing mobile is awful. third of all .. google chrome is my love affair. fourth of all .. iron realms, i love you. to play on the ipad, just download the chrome app to your device and log onto the iron realms website. click 'play now' and voila! instant connection :] it has a map available, but nothing like mudlet. playing on the ipad, fyi, is nothing like playing on mudlet. but it's still nice, though. nevertheless, i recommend you look into buying an external keyboard. maybe a bluetooth one? personally, i have a logitech folio keyboard, and it's my baby. sigh. the battery life is ah-mazing. i got it for my birthday in april [2013] and i haven't had to charge it at all since then. except once. and it takes like, five to ten minutes to charge. like i said, it's amazing. i paid almost a hundred bucks for it, but it's worth every peeennnny ..

Comments

• edited May 2013
    I play with a tablet! Well i have been for the past 2 months ish. It is ok.
    Blowtorch was awesome but it kept crashing. I use andromud now. The end.
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • I'm pretty sure they developed an Iron Realms app to allow you to play on mobile phones and tablets. I'm not sure if it was developed for crApple products or if the development finished on the android version but here's what details there are on it. http://www.ironrealms.com/mud-android-app-iron-realms-games
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • edited May 2013
    the Iron Realms app - as the title of the page you linked to suggests - is for Android

on iPad/Iphone, the only nice clients are MUDRammer, MUDMaster, and Bedlam - all of which cost money (somewhere between $0.99 - $3.99)

I think MUD Rammer is the nicest of those clients, though I haven't really tested Bedlam much; I know it's intended for Bedlam players. Supposedly there is a lite edition, link here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bedlam-lt/id349010692?mt=8 but when I did a search for it on my iPhone I couldn't find it

the best solution would be to switch to an Android tablet and phone :D

edit: forgot Pocket Mud also looks decent but I think MUD Rammer is still probably best bang for buck
    "Under all that we think, lives all that we believe, like the ultimate veil of our spirits." --Antonio Machado
    "The belief that becomes truth for me is that which allows me the best use of my strength, the best means of putting my virtues into action." --Andre Gide
    "It is not enough to have a good mind; the main thing is to use it well."  --Rene Descartes
  • I am well aware of that. As I said, I'm not sure if they ended up developing anything for apple, or if they finished the development of the android version. I provided the link so that if someone wanted to look further into it, they had a starting point.  From there they could look around the iron realms page to see if there was any info on an apple version etc.  I don't have any apple products, so I don't need to look for details on it, but gave a starting point for those who do.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • The ire app lags terribly after you have beenusing it for a while. The font is small and i cannot figure out how to make basic triggers or aliases on it. Overall i don't like it much. I am not sure what the point of this thread is but wooo tablets!
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • the HTML5 client with a bluetooth keyboard is actually quite viable on an iPad/Android tablet so +10 to Tecton

Pocket MUD is a fantastic client for iPads, with a great number of features including scripting support with Lua

again, add a bluetooth keyboard and a nice wifi connection and you have something that could be truly usable

I don't mention Pocket MUD to suggest that the Achaea's own HTML5 client isn't a good choice - however, the client(s) I linked can be used to play other MUDs too, I don't know if you're into that

good luck, have fun!

"Under all that we think, lives all that we believe, like the ultimate veil of our spirits." --Antonio Machado
    "The belief that becomes truth for me is that which allows me the best use of my strength, the best means of putting my virtues into action." --Andre Gide
    "It is not enough to have a good mind; the main thing is to use it well."  --Rene Descartes
  • Hiya, I wrote MUDRammer. Thanks for the kind words in this thread, and feedback is welcome - use the in-app email link or send me a PM.
  • Reccin = Alcaro. = I played Reccin, lol. Never revisited this thread after I made it. So .. Omg, Mudrammer. I love that app so much. I only wish it supports scripting. As for Pocket MUD .. a waste of money. Unlike Mudrammer, you can't change the font or size of the text, which is tiny and hurts my eyes. Mudrammer is the way to go for mobile playing via tablet or iPhone. I usually use it on the go. The HTML5 client .. we broke up. I loved it for a while for its buffers and scripting and mapper, but the lag during combat eventually came between us. So now I'm searching for a way to access the low-resolution client. It crashes for me like every time I try to use it.
    (XXXX): Peak says, "You worry me."
  • Tecton said:
    Just a quick note that the HTML5 client will automatically rescale and resize for phones and tablets - check it out @ http://client.achaea.com
    I never been able to connect from my iPhone.

Mudrammer seems more fancy than mudrammer, but no scripts. I need scripts.
  • Pocket MUD does the job, but I only use it to do very brief tasks if I can't be at my computer.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Dunn said:

Pocket MUD does the job, but I only use it to do very brief tasks if I can't be at my computer.

Pocket MUD works great. It's what I use when I log in (from work) on my phone.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• VeldrinVeldrin Denmark
    splashtop + Mudlet is what I use normally

• JamethielJamethiel Adelaide
    I've used PocketMUD as well both on iPad and iPhone.