Starburst and Balance

Starburst should have a 1 second balance / equilibrium cost post-death, to prevent things like this ::

(p) 2671h(50%), 5196m(95%), 22940e, 13259w | XP: 33.4% | cdbk|ex | 19  |(12:32:12.727)-
You slowly raise your head and feel your body pulse with the power of Deliverance.
Iakimen viciously jabs an ornate steel rapier into your torso.
You turn to face Iakimen, feeling the power of Kai building within you. Two radiant arcs of white lightning dart forth 
from your eyes, striking out at your foe who begins to recoil in horror. Resistance is futile, however, and the deadly 
energy flows relentlessly forth from the glowing orbs of your eyes to engulf him entirely. Blood and skin boiling, 
Iakimen gives one final shriek of terrified agony before dropping, lifeless, to the floor.
You have slain Iakimen.
A starburst tattoo flares and bathes Iakimen in red light.
A stunning gold and brown falcon falls from Iakimen's person.
A group of 5 goldenseal roots falls from Iakimen's person.
A group of 2 bloodroot leaves falls from Iakimen's person.
A group of 5 pieces of kelp falls from Iakimen's person.
A group of 5 ginseng roots falls from Iakimen's person.
A bloodroot leaf falls from Iakimen's person.
A red ink falls from Iakimen's person.
A blue ink falls from Iakimen's person.
Some irid moss falls from Iakimen's person.
(p) 2671h(50%), 5155m(94%), 22940e, 13269w | XP: 34.3% | cdbk|ex | 23  |(12:32:15.013)-
You watch, in horror, as your left arm shrivels up and becomes useless.
Lightning-quick, Iakimen jabs your torso with an ornate steel rapier.
You turn to face Iakimen, feeling the power of Kai building within you. Two radiant arcs of white lightning dart forth 
from your eyes, striking out at your foe who begins to recoil in horror. Resistance is futile, however, and the deadly 
energy flows relentlessly forth from the glowing orbs of your eyes to engulf him entirely. Blood and skin boiling, 
Iakimen gives one final shriek of terrified agony before dropping, lifeless, to the floor.
You have slain Iakimen.
(p) 2671h(50%), 5155m(94%), 22940e, 13269w | XP: 35.9% | cdbk|ex | 29  |(12:32:15.024)-
You watch, in horror, as your right arm shrivels up and becomes useless.
(p) 2671h(50%), 5155m(94%), 22940e, 13269w | XP: 35.9% | cdbk|ex | 29  |(12:32:15.027)-

Thoughts?

EDIT:: Added the last 3 lines, showing the timestamps after the death.

Comments

• If those timestamps are accurate, a 1s balance wouldn't have made a difference. Personally, I'd prefer not to make it harder to run away after a burst.
  • Eld said:
    If those timestamps are accurate, a 1s balance wouldn't have made a difference. Personally, I'd prefer not to make it harder to run away after a burst.
    Fixed the Original Post to show post-death timestamps for the 2nd death. 
  • edited July 2013
    Any perceived problem here would be a deliverance problem, not a starburst problem. 

Starburst as a whole doesn't need to be changed because of deliverance. Just change deliverance to where it's less easy to double kill yourself on it. 

• Make a deliverance cancel the second slash of doubleslash? Seems like less of a way to cock up starburst if that's doable. 
  • Oh, I must have just misinterpreted the timestamps before, as it looked like two consecutive doubleslashes. Certainly, deliverance shouldn't kill you twice on one dsl (or multislash, or tekura combo), but as Santar says, that's an issue with deliverance more than with starburst.
  • I think it was more of an issue with him leaning on the command than anything. 1 DSL = 1 Deliverance kill.

It doesn't kill you per slash.
  • Denex said:
    I think it was more of an issue with him leaning on the command than anything. 1 DSL = 1 Deliverance kill.

It doesn't kill you per slash.
    Then what's the issue?
  • No because v-bombs are already unfeasible enough.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    Xith said:
    No because v-bombs are already unfeasible enough.
    This was my first thought -- huge nerf for necromancers and v-bombs. It also negates some evil zealot RP with v-bombs and martyrdom.
  • Daeir said:
    Deliverance is already hard enough to get off on smart people. If you ink multiple bursts and then use a multi-attack on a person with deliverance up, enjoy giving them experience.

No change required.
    Pretty sure the problem is the fact starburst returns your balance, so if you're leaning on an attack, you can die,burst,die almost instantly. Not using a "multi-attack"
  • @Dartega: Whether that's actually a problem is debatable.
  • Yeah, just seemed like some people were thinking you died for each slash of the dsl or something. 
    But what do I know, I just work here
  • Dartega said:
    Yeah, just seemed like some people were thinking you died for each slash of the dsl or something. 
    But what do I know, I just work here
    Yeah, for a bit, it seemed as though that was what was being claimed in the OP, which would be pretty lame if it were true. Still think that if you wanted to change the behaviour displayed in the OP, it would be better to add a very short cooldown to deliverance than to add a balance cost to bursting.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    It's all fine, learn to not die is all you have to do.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • edited July 2013
    Eld said:

Still think that if you wanted to change the behaviour displayed in the OP, it would be better to add a very short cooldown to deliverance than to add a balance cost to bursting.

I would make it so if you hit deliverance multiple times within a few seconds, the second activation just leaves you near death instead of killing you outright.
  • Sena said:
    Still think that if you wanted to change the behaviour displayed in the OP, it would be better to add a very short cooldown to deliverance than to add a balance cost to bursting.
    I would make it so if you hit deliverance multiple times within a few seconds, the second activation just leaves you near death instead of killing you outright.
    And make it hit with aeon through speed..... wait....this sounds familiar
  • I die vs Deliverance an awful lot. I'm cool with that, and slowly improving, because learning to fight a monk is partially about second-guessing when he'll crack open deliverance and then making him wish he hadn't. I don't want to sound overly negative about this thread, because I know how this feels, but there are just so many things that should be done before asking about a mechanical change to a combat skill...
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.