The fix for "Mistells"

Hello everyone!
It is very likely that during your time playing Achaea, you have either received a tell unintended for you, or directed a tell at the wrong adventurer. For those of you who do not know, these are referred to as "mistells". Sometimes these can be very funny, or awkward, but for others they can be very irritating when you are constantly receiving them. I send them quite often, tells go to Garaos meant for Garis, Jarrod gets my tells that were for Jarrus, so I thought that there must be a solution for this.

It is hard to form the habit to type full names for tells, once you have slacked off into shortening. For this, I propose the CONFIG option of FULLNAMETELLS ON or OFF. If you executed CONFIG FULLNAMETELLS ON, then it would make it so tells would not go through if you shortened the name in any way. For example, regularly TELL ZUK would probably send a tell to Zuko, I don't know because I don't send tells to myself. But with CONFIG FULLNAMETELLS ON, Zuk would not work, and you would have to TELL ZUKO. TELL HAL would not work, but TELL HALOS would. 

If you CONFIG FULLNAMETELLS OFF, then tells function as they do normally, and you can shorten names so TELL ZUK would work, TELL NEMU for Nemutaur. 

Do you think this should be implemented into the game? If so, what changes would you make?

Comments

• @Jarrod @Tesh @Garao This is for you guys! Lol
  • Random people sometimes tells me with e.

• SaibelSaibel Chicago
    I like this idea. I've terrorized a few people with broken aliases or half-typed names very recently. :)
    Dragonknight tells you, "SAIBEL SAIBEL BO BAIBEL FE FI FO FABLE."
  • Taraus said:
    But however will I know what the rest of the playerbase is targetting?
    I can't remember who exactly it was, but someone else with a Tar at the start of their name had an autoreply for when people would send him a tell instead of targeting the object. Had a couple of different ones for different targets, all pretty funny.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • Ahh yes, but don't you think this will be a nice fix? Agree/Like the discussion and maybe we can convince them to throw it into the CONFIG options!
  • CarmellCarmell Eastern Washington
    Saibel said:
    I like this idea. I've terrorized a few people with broken aliases or half-typed names very recently. :)
    even better was your odd party invite earlier.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    No. I like mistells. They are fun. If you can't be arsed to be careful, its your loss

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• SaibelSaibel Chicago
    Carmell said:
    Saibel said:
    I blame Carmain.
    Dragonknight tells you, "SAIBEL SAIBEL BO BAIBEL FE FI FO FABLE."
  • CarmellCarmell Eastern Washington
    edited July 2013
    Saibel said:
    Carmell said:
    Saibel said:
    I blame Carmain.
    so do I especially when i'm getting hit by my own citymates.  Although I think I got them trained to target Carmain by full name now.
  • OuraniaOurania The Garden of the Gods
    edited July 2013
    Ah, how I get confused with OUTR or 'OR' as some people trigger it. If I had a quid for every time, I would be very -very- rich.

I also moved it here.

• TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    Berenene said:
    Taraus said:
    But however will I know what the rest of the playerbase is targetting?
    I can't remember who exactly it was, but someone else with a Tar at the start of their name had an autoreply for when people would send him a tell instead of targeting the object. Had a couple of different ones for different targets, all pretty funny.
    I had one of those for awhile, too. 

• Is there any reason you can see as to why it wouldn't work? And @Shirszae thats why people like you and configure it off
  • edited July 2013
    This is already implemented in the form of TELL ZUKO. This idea is already implemented in Achaea.

• Yes but it would make it easier for everyone to do that, instead of shortening
  • LiancaLianca Fire and Spice
    If you have a specific name to tell to, add a period at the end. That will make sure that a tell to Carm. can only go to someone named Carm and not Carmain, Carmell, or any other similar name.
    The sweltering heat of the forge spills out across the land as the rumbling voice of Phaestus booms, "I want you to know, the Garden reaction to that one is: What?"
    The voice of Melantha, Goddess of the Seasons, echoes amid the rustle of leaves, "That's the censored version."
  • NimNim
    edited July 2013

I usually use full names anyway (yay tab complete), so I like this idea. I know it already exists, and I like the fact that it does, but I'd have to write a WHOLE ALIAS OR TWO!!! to force myself to use that functionality (actually manually putting a period at after pressing tab would be a whole extra keypress, and while I might sound sarcastic if I complained about that, good UI design is about minimizing unnecessary keypresses/mouseclicks/otheruseractions).

Something like,

#ALIAS {t} {tell}
    #ALIAS {^tell {\S*[^.]} %*$} {#send {tell %1. %2}}

However, I think someone else said that the period thing at the end doesn't work on denizens, and that might have included for TELLs. If that's true, then this would not be a good idea, because then I wouldn't be able to go "tell tharos please stop being so awesome, sir, I already have a textboyfriend" with aliases like above, as there is no reasonable way to figure out (client-side) if a tell is meant to go to an adventurer or a denizen.

• Would be funny, but in the middle of combat if you need to tell Earionduil, Sothantos or even me (some spell me as Nematar or whatever) then you'd fail once costing you valuable time and adding confusion then you'd type out the full name just to get it to go through.

I'm all for less mistells, but this is one thing that shouldn't be implemented because it forces other people to change how they play on a very basic level.
  • Nemutaur said:
    Would be funny, but in the middle of combat if you need to tell Earionduil, Sothantos or even me (some spell me as Nematar or whatever) then you'd fail once costing you valuable time and adding confusion then you'd type out the full name just to get it to go through.

I'm all for less mistells, but this is one thing that shouldn't be implemented because it forces other people to change how they play on a very basic level.
    How does it force people to change how they play? As described, if you CONFIG FULLNAMETELLS OFF, nothing would change. It doesn't seem like an especially useful option to me, but it doesn't seem like it would negatively impact anyone who doesn't want to use it.
  • Ourania said:
    Ah, how I get confused with OUTR or 'OR' as some people trigger it. If I had a quid for every time, I would be very -very- rich.

I also moved it here.
    I often have some "Or" too. I want to keep them all for me.
  • Mine tend to be quite random too, as I get all of the screwed up SAYs.

@Shirzae - if people were regularly mis'ing stuff that was interesting/useful etc I'd probably agree with you. Other than the odd, infrequent amusing item, it's just random crap; I'd wager a portion of it is intrusively OOC as well. I don't think we'd be losing anything from the game by cutting down on the mistells.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Learning how to emote again and now tells because people fail at spelling :(
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• that's pretty genius, takes 3 more seconds to type a full name
  • Eld said:
    Nemutaur said:
    Would be funny, but in the middle of combat if you need to tell Earionduil, Sothantos or even me (some spell me as Nematar or whatever) then you'd fail once costing you valuable time and adding confusion then you'd type out the full name just to get it to go through.

How does it force people to change how they play? As described, if you CONFIG FULLNAMETELLS OFF, nothing would change. It doesn't seem like an especially useful option to me, but it doesn't seem like it would negatively impact anyone who doesn't want to use it.
    Yeah didn't have my morning coffee yet, I thought I would set it true so that people could not TELL NEMU instead of the person doing the telling setting it true. Didn't someone point out that you could put a fullstop after the persons name? Like TELL TORR. BLAH would send the tell to Torr but not to Torrent?
  • There's absolutely no reason to implement this. The people who would use it are already not shortening names, and the people who are currently shortening names obviously aren't sufficiently worried about the idea of sending mistells to stop doing so.
  • Agreed, I think this is superfluous. 

Also, this thread reminds me of the time Cinya's now-ex-husband sent the character 'Cin' an adorable little love letter. 
    Mathonwy said:
    dactylic hexameter is
    way more interesting than the inside of anyone's vagina.
  • Cinya said:
    Agreed, I think this is superfluous. 

Also, this thread reminds me of the time Cinya's now-ex-husband sent the character 'Cin' an adorable little love letter. 
    Hardly seems like a divorceable offense...