Yet another mount thread

Why not just make newbies incapable of attacking mounts period? Until they're level 35 or something. Would solve a number of problems imo.
~
You close your eyes momentarily and extend the range of your vision, seeking out the presence of Drugs. 
Though too far away to accurately perceive details, you see that Drugs is in Mhaldor.

Comments

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Why are mounts different to any other denizen? Horses, goats, rams, turtles etc etc.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• edited July 2013
    Mounts don't fight back, for one. Mounts cost money, for two. I could go on.
    ~
    You close your eyes momentarily and extend the range of your vision, seeking out the presence of Drugs. 
    Though too far away to accurately perceive details, you see that Drugs is in Mhaldor.
  • I would love to see this purely top put the brakes on trollalts. I would hate to see this because it would stop truenoobs from accidentally-or-otherwise killing mounts.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • I am curious though, seriously, as to why this has gone into a separate thread, especially one with this title :(
  • The other thread is about a different idea.

We've had a lot of stuff, the learning of which was "a part of the game", that got removed or made easier because newbies already had too much to learn.

I'm in favor of something along the lines of the OP. It doesn't have to be a hardcoded restriction, it could be a warning to probe stuff the first time a character attacks something outside the newbie areas.

We could also have a task that involves seeking out one mob that is loyal to a denizen, probing it and saying the name of the denizen it is loyal to in order to complete the task.
  • edited July 2013
    Korben said:
    The other thread is about a different idea.

We've had a lot of stuff, the learning of which was "a part of the game", that got removed or made easier because newbies already had too much to learn.

I'm in favor of something along the lines of the OP. It doesn't have to be a hardcoded restriction, it could be a warning to probe stuff the first time a character attacks something outside the newbie areas.

We could also have a task that involves seeking out one mob that is loyal to a denizen, probing it and saying the name of the denizen it is loyal to in order to complete the task.

Real newbies get enough warnings about this already, and I seem to remember that they already get hardcoded PK warnings. And please no to an extra Task for this...

The issue of mount killing is not an issue that relates to true noobs. Mounts are killed by trollalts, pissed off rivals (rightly or wrongly), and folks in combat.
  • Sylvance said:
    And please no to an extra Task for this...
    Why not ?

1) I'm a big fan of tasks. You don't need anyone else to be online to check your progress (a real issue in small cities/Houses) and you get the feeling of having achieved stuff all by yourself, which motivates further learning.

2) Mounts aside, the subject of loyalty, different kinds of loyals and village feelings is important enough that there should be a task for it.
  • Korben said:
    Sylvance said:
    And please no to an extra Task for this...
    Why not ?

1) I'm a big fan of tasks. You don't need anyone else to be online to check your progress (a real issue in small cities/Houses) and you get the feeling of having achieved stuff all by yourself, which motivates further learning.

2) Mounts aside, the subject of loyalty, different kinds of loyals and village feelings is important enough that there should be a task for it.
    Agreed on both counts. But I ask you this: What impact do you think it will have on the number of mounts killed by newbies? As a stand-alone Task I'm not much bothered either way. As a solution to this problem I don't think it would be effective.
  • I can tell you that back in the day before stables, accidental mount killing was so common that we didn't give the novices a hard time over it (though we made them pay the owner for the dead mount). Then again, a fair percentage of the people online back then were true newbies. Nowadays you don't have as many of those and people don't leave their mounts all over the place so maybe it doesn't happen as often.
  • edited July 2013
    This thread came about because of a true newbie who got in shit for killing mounts. They thought that loyalty wasn't as big a deal as it actually is so went on a killing spree, has since been chastised, and knows better now. Wouldn't have been a problem if the OP were true.

Answer me this why does a newbie need to be able to kill mounts? There's not enough other targets out there? You can't get to 35 or embrace or whatever fast enough? This would only really stop accidental kills and grief alts. 
    ~
  • edited July 2013
    Jonners said:
    This thread came about because of a true newbie who got in shit for killing mounts. They thought that loyalty wasn't as big a deal as it actually is so went on a killing spree, has since been chastised, and knows better now. Wouldn't have been a problem if the OP were true.

Answer me this why does a newbie need to be able to kill mounts? There's not enough other targets out there? You can't get to 35 or embrace or whatever fast enough? This would only really stop accidental kills and grief alts. 
    Right, there's the problem in bolded. Not that he didn't know about loyalty. Not that he was able to kill mounts. Not that he didn't know how to probe. But that he didn't think loyalty was a big deal. I don't know the situation any, but I'm willing to bet that he was given a warning at some point that it was a big deal and didn't heed it. If he wasn't told to check for loyals, then why wasn't he told to check for loyals? If he's a truenoob, then (again, going on a limb) I'm willing to bet that he has a House or a City.

Let's deal with that problem rather than reaching for the sledgehammer to open our walnut.

ETA: To restate my position, I don't dislike the idea, because it would slow down griefalts. But as for true newbies all its going to do is take away from the great awe of Achaea as a living, breathing world with real consequences.
  • edited July 2013
    It was sort of a combination of the reasons you mentioned actually. He was warned by the auto-system but the new player wasn't stressed at enough obviously. He didn't realise that mounts don't come back, like everything else does! That should have been 'for three' up at my first reply post there.
    My point is, a single message that can be missed in a spammy environment like Achaea for a newbie. It's not foolproof and it needs to be.
    ~
  • Jonners said:
    Some sensible stuff.
    Well said. Respect.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Obligatory "buy a collar" post.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.