As long as we're discussing mounts and loyals...

2»

Comments

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    edited July 2013
    Eld said:
    Again, the proposal isn't for a "fix" to a part of the game that's "faulty". It's for an addition of a convenient way to get certain information.
    Yes, I get that, and I'm of the opinion that it's an unnecessary addition. And I didn't mean anything that was wrong with the game, but rather whatever setup they're using (i.e. if it boils down to something that can be adjusted externally, why wouldn't that be the first attempted step?).

Also: "Too much stuff to read, not going to bother, but I like the initial topic because I'm sick of killing my pegasus or random peoples' mounts when I am using gmcp targetting."

Certainly gives the indication that someone thinks something is broken, or not working properly. >.>

• Kresslack said:
    Eld said:
    Again, the proposal isn't for a "fix" to a part of the game that's "faulty". It's for an addition of a convenient way to get certain information.
    Yes, I get that, and I'm of the opinion that it's an unnecessary addition. And I didn't mean anything that was wrong with the game, but rather whatever setup they're using (i.e. if it boils down to something that can be adjusted externally, why wouldn't that be the first attempted step?).

Also: "Too much stuff to read, not going to bother, but I like the initial topic because I'm sick of killing my pegasus or random peoples' mounts when I am using gmcp targetting."

Certainly gives the indication that someone thinks something is broken, or not working properly. >.>
    Someone clearly does, yes, but that wasn't the thrust of the OP.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • edited July 2013

Sylvance said:
    Kresslack said:
    Eld said:

Someone clearly does, yes, but that wasn't the thrust of the OP.
    Precisely. The thrust of my OP was that this could make the game better. Granted, yes - you could make a nice keybinding that does 'probe target' instead of 'kill target', and just probe after every time you kill something. But be honest; how many people probe every single time? Rather than just go through the entire mhojave doing 'kill snake' to get all the rattlesnakes and sidewinders? I certainly have never tried to probe a snake in the Mhojave before killing it. Except for that one time when it got me with loki... sorry, whoever's that was.

ETA: Also, considering how easy it is (or should be) to add a gmcp tag for things, especially considering the 'loyalty' bit already exists... Might not make gameplay nicer for you, @Kresslack, but will for some others, so why begrudge them that, just because you won't use this feature?
    (The Midnight Crew): Cain says, "You on your period lynara?"

(The Midnight Crew): Micaelis says, "Lynara coded periods out of his DNA."
    edited July 2013
    You didn't exactly pick a relevant example for loyals, using snakes. Serpents can resummon snakes in a second, and there was never a time when I was killed a raid or such which my snake wasn't immediately killed as well. I just resummoned one as soon as I revived, so that's a bit of a poor example.

My point has nothing to do with what I consider nicer gameplay for me vs everyone else. I specifically mentioned multiple times that the reason I do not think this would be a good addition to the game is because it's a lazy mechanism that, like you said, someone can easily implement client side. 

You don't have to probe a good number of loyals to see that they belong to someone, because 9/10 they have unique appearances. In the case of snakes, any experienced player knows what a loyal snake(adder, cobra, viper, etc) looks like/is called compared to a rattlesnake or sidewinder found in the desert. 

It's been common practice to probe something when in doubt. I'm not sure how ignorance or being too lazy to do that simple thing in the off chance you come across something you don't recognize is an issue.

• Kresslack said:
    My point has nothing to do with what I consider nicer gameplay for me vs everyone else. I specifically mentioned multiple times that the reason I do not think this would be a good addition to the game is because it's a lazy mechanism that, like you said, someone can easily implement client side. 

I both agree and disagree with this.

I agree that if you're going to do any sort of automated bashing that this addition would benefit, you could very easily just maintain a list of valid targets for your targeting system to use. Also, it feels like this idea was suggested just for automated bashing. (hopefully people want it for semi-automated bashing rather than legit botting!)

I disagree because, though, with the idea of "you can implement it client-side, so the game doesn't need it." There's already a ridiculous amount of that. I also disagree because it might be useful for other client-side stuff, like, letting people know (at a glance, without typing PROBE <creature>) if something is loyal to anything or not. That might be a cool thing for newbies to have access to, and so it might be cool if that got added to the HTML5 client - and certainly other clients could have that functionality too!

@Nim, as it's been stressed many times by the creator of the thread, this suggestion was not aimed at making anything easier for Novices, just for experienced players, who...in all honesty, should know well enough to not attack something you don't recognize without probing it, not just because it might be loyal to a person, but because it might be loyal to an organization/village and be of considerable might. On the matter of any type of automated bashing, I understand that such things aren't approved of.

• @Kresslack: There's no reason it couldn't be added to the HTML5 client too, though, and newbies are probably more likely to use that client than a more general client (while more experienced players seem to be the other way around). I know the main purpose behind the idea is for tech savvy players to make use of it - I'm just pointing out that it could have other uses too.

Well, design/coding resources, I guess, are a reason, but that's a matter of resource management, and not really something us players should worry about. :3 We should focus on whether the idea has merit or not from a player's perspective, and why. :3

I was certain we already had.