Is everyone that plays a coding genius?

I don't know, maybe I'm an idiot, but I can't get anything that I want done in Mudlet to work. Is everyone that plays this game a coding wizard? I'm new to scripting, I'm used to playing on nexus with minor aliases and keybindings. Mudlet is getting me so frustrated that I'm ready to trash it again. I'm trying to rework Akaya's runewarden GUI to fit my needs. I've tried looking up how to do this and I always get stuck not understanding any of it. The coding just comes out as gibberish to me. If anyone is willing to take the time to ACTUALLY HELP me, I would greatly appreciate it. I've asked for help on the mudlet clan channel several times to no avail. Someone please help me out.

Comments

• edited July 2013
    I'm not a coding genius, just a regular genius.

In all seriousness, I was the same. I don't use mudlet, but when I made the change from the old nexus to zmud, it was all confusing and much of it still is today.  What helped me was reading and rereading through the documentation, doing practice scripts for small things like a critical hit counter and most of all, going over the public scripts that the experts have posted so you get to see what things should look like and how they perform.  I can't give you any specific advice to mudlet, because, as I said, I don't use it myself.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • Definitely not. I was awful to start with, I didn't understand ANYTHING. I've slowly gotten used to it, and can code most things myself, mostly by hacking together pieces of older scripts I have. If it's really tricky/complicated, I'll ask for help. I'd help if I could, but I really don't understand it myself well enough to explain it.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• I miss the old Nexus, love the HTML one though, there are videos on You Tube for a lot of the stuff. The rest is in the Manual it can be confusing at first but you will get it after a bit of playing around. Or at least I did!

• I have not looked too dep into Akaya's guis myself yet, but I'm currently working on my own one as well, so I think I can help you out with that gui. Shoot me a PM so we can discuss which changes are needed and what you'd like to get done.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Man, it took me years to figure out zmud. Even having scripted in that, it took me months to figure out the most basic stuff in Mudlet and years to get where I am now. Don't get so discouraged, it'll come.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • A good thing to do is to make sure you save at least one type of script/trigger/alias format, and just work from there. All I did for mine was to ask a friend to send over a line, and when I needed a new alias/trigger, I just stared at the old line till I understand it and be able to make it work.
  • can always ask on the mudlet clan or the mudlet forums for help.
  • Probably on these forums too, in the technical section thingy.

I actually am a coding genius :3 except I use tintin++ sorry :(

also I don't play anymore until probably next month T_T

• With all the help I've gotten, I've actually been able to figure some of this out. I am fairly happy with myself. So far I have gotten everything I needed as far as basics figured out. Thanks to everyone that's been giving me a hand.
  • Glad to see you're doing well in figuring out Mudlet. It does take some dedication, but remember that sense of accomplishment when you get something right? You're going to experience that many more times as you discover more of how to get Mudlet to do what you need it to do.

• Wow, you know, I never would've noticed that if you hadn't pointed it out. I had to lean back a little.
  • I can totally see Freddy from afar with the stylish tilt to the hat.

I have little to no clue in Mudlet and lack the patience to intricately learn it outside of figuring out how to make basic aliases and triggers. I usually just steal from the existing code people have posted and hope things work.

• ZiiZii
    edited July 2013
    I pay someone to do it, or help me do it.  Some times they don't take the credits!   Achaea scripters are pretty chill, doesn't afraid of anything.
    *Animated Signature*

• Most of the time, it only takes to read the documentation.
  • Orzaansyn said:
    Most of the time, it only takes to read the documentation.
    Understanding the documentation is not always easy. And transferring that unto code of another person is even harder. It's not always possible to take the time/have the patience to work through any issue.
    So it's no shame to ask for help or let others do it. You can even look at the changes in the end and possibly understand what is necessary the next time.
  • I'm a big fan of the 'start small and work up' approach. Today for example, I wanted to make a script that did some math and gave me some numbers, triggering off a line with other numbers.

The script was done quickly enough, but then I had to learn how to display a number rounded to X decimal places, so that's one more function I know how to use now.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    edited July 2013
    Synbios said:
    Glad to see you're doing well in figuring out Mudlet. It does take some dedication, but remember that sense of accomplishment when you get something right? You're going to experience that many more times as you discover more of how to get Mudlet to do what you need it to do.
    Right up until you make a capitalization error in a script about 500 lines long and have to search for it line by line while bashing your head into a wall.

Eta: That may not seem like a lot to some, but most of my scripts are 100 lines long at most.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Jonathin said:
    Right up until you make a capitalization error in a script about 500 lines long and have to search for it line by line while bashing your head into a wall.

Eta: That may not seem like a lot to some, but most of my scripts are 100 lines long at most.

Coder's Hell. I remember debugging days.

• Anything at all? Follow the videos at: mudlet.org/media - do they not work?
  • I learned a bit by taking apart other people's scripts and then trying something similar but different on my own- it helped me know it enough to help my husband code mudlet for Midkemia and now we still go back and forth in "how would I do this?" It takes a while and honestly, start with simple things before you work on something big. It's a pain, but it's worth it :)
    meh

• A question with regards to potential newcomers that get frustrated with the scripting and rage-quit.

Is being good at coding scripts a necessity to succeed in Achaea? I know the definition of succeed is different, and it depends on what the goals of each person are.

Without a separate chat from game text it is very difficult to RP or become member of a House/City.
    Without some scripting bashing can get too tedious, and stuck in lower level areas. At least a script that is just healing and reattacking at balance recovery, is needed.
    And combat, well, without it somebody is doomed.
  • I don't think those things are needed. I still don't use separate chats and I bashed to level 95 without attacking on balance recovery, though I've always had an auto sipper. That being said, getting those things for any client aren't very difficult and don't require being at all good at coding. There are plenty of openly available tabbed chats/auto sippers/primitive curing systems that can be used. 

Also pretty sure if you use the achaea.com html5 client to connect you get tabbed chat, a mapper, and auto sipping built in.

Party right, party hard,

Sing and dance, perfect bard.

Prefarar loop, accentato whore,

Buy a new rapier, get nerfed some more.

• edited July 2013
    I didn't knew the html5 client had an auto sipper. That is really cool.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against scripting. I'm just thinking about potential barriers to people new to Achaea, and specially Muding.
    The html5 client is a great solution to this, but it should be to par with a moderate system. Which by the sounds of it, it is more than I thought.
  • If you're having trouble with a Mudlet GUI, I'm more than willing to lend a hand. Just post on the Mudlet forum or send me some kind of PM.
  • I am a normal genius, but I'm a coding Caveman. Barely making my way out of the cave now that I know how tables work and stuff.

You get used to it. I didn't know a lick of coding before starting Achaea 4 years ago. Unless HTML counts, which it doesn't. Now I've made some pretty neat things and it's nice to have a fun and practical application way to learn coding. Really unique about MUDs. Really awesome and customizable.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • @Kron: I'm the same as Zeon, I don't (and never have) used a separate window or tabs for communications. They're definitely not required for roleplaying, bashing, etc. The only time I'd say they really approach being necessary is for large group fights when there's a lot of text coming quickly.