Targeting Specifiers

I literally just commented that I wanted something like this in another thread, but it'd be cool if there was some basic (but entirely optional) targeting syntax to specify whether you want to target a denizen or an adventurer, and possibly to more easily specify which denizen without having to use the full number.

My specific suggestion is something akin to: ((number)? denizen-signifier | adventurer-signifier)? target-word (word-end)?

As an alternative to the current system of: target-word (denizen-number)?

Where denizen-signifier defaults to "@ and is the same as per the emote system, adventurer-signifier defaults to $" and is also the same as per emote system (and thus, configurable in the same manner for consistency's sake), word-end defaults to "." and if included will make sure the target doesn't try to expand, and number is the nth denizen/item in the room/your inventory you want to target.

For example, if you're hunting rats with an adventurer named Rathel,  "kill rat" might hit your buddy, while "kill rat." or "kill @rat" will definitely hit a rat, and "kill 3@rat" will hit the third rat. Likewise, "kick $rat" will let you kick said buddy if he happens to insult your fashion sense or your choice of bloodlines.

Possible additional suggestion is the ability to mark whether you want to target an object/denizen in your inventory versus in the room (maybe something as simple as, if it finds an "h" or "r" near the number, it targets one in the room, while if it finds "i" it targets one in your inventory). If your specifier can't find anything (eg there are three rats but you try "kill 4@rat") I think it should just fail.

Also, while I use the word "target" and I use particularly violent examples, I'd personally like to see this functionality cover other commands as well, such as item-handling, looking/probing, and maybe even say to commands.

Comments

• If only I had this back in the day. I used to check for Orcarus on QW before going out to bash orcs.
  • Not a bad idea.
    But personally I always type a person's full name the first time anyway. 'aim ydachikachishiroul'
    It's a slight pain but I don't drink so it's not a huge problem for me.

If I have to retarget them after, I type 'aim yda then hit the UP-arrow to find the last instance of that that was sent in mudlet, and hit enter. Same as typing it.

This is one of those laziness issues. Even though names like Earionduil and Orklanishkal etc. suck to type... I don't know.
    It's more something to deal with if you decide to name your Siren alt "Buckawnixa".
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Xith said:
    Not a bad idea.
    But personally I always type a person's full name the first time anyway. 'aim ydachikachishiroul'
    It's a slight pain but I don't drink so it's not a huge problem for me.

If I have to retarget them after, I type 'aim yda then hit the UP-arrow to find the last instance of that that was sent in mudlet, and hit enter. Same as typing it.

This is one of those laziness issues. Even though names like Earionduil and Orklanishkal etc. suck to type... I don't know.
    It's more something to deal with if you decide to name your Siren alt "Buckawnixa".
    I'm starting to get a tad pissed off with people talking about 'laziness' everytime somebody asks for something to be simplified/shortcutted/made easier in Achaea.

+1 OP. This is something I tried to do in-game a few weeks back whilst bashing SLC, and was actually very surprised that it wasn't already possible.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • While you're free to consider this a laziness issue, I personally consider this a UI elegance issue. (If you don't believe this is important, go find out how many people can't even get past Dwarf Fortress's clunky UI, for example!)

As such, if you can think of a more intuitive and elegant implementation than the one I suggested, please do bring it up! I am aware that I have somewhat odd ideas as to what constitutes as an intuitive interface.

Ideally, whatever system gets used should feel natural. That's why I was hoping to make it loosely similar to the system emotes now use.

• Not sure how much I'd use the denizen/adventurer distinction as such, but definitely +1 to specifying the nth denizen or item in a room without having to IH and find the right number. Would be easier in many cases, and I suspect more intuitive for newbies (certainly would have made my life easier, though that may just be because I already had experience with Diku-based MUDs, which have a 1.rat, 2.rat, etc syntax).
  • Eld said:
    Not sure how much I'd use the denizen/adventurer distinction as such, but definitely +1 to specifying the nth denizen or item in a room without having to IH and find the right number. Would be easier in many cases, and I suspect more intuitive for newbies (certainly would have made my life easier, though that may just be because I already had experience with Diku-based MUDs, which have a 1.rat, 2.rat, etc syntax).
    Do this for items too please!
    ~
    You close your eyes momentarily and extend the range of your vision, seeking out the presence of Drugs. 
    Though too far away to accurately perceive details, you see that Drugs is in Mhaldor.
  • agree, doing this for both the denizen/adventurer idea (though I personally have never had a problem with it) but most especially as is stated above, for items.  Not having to find trousers100171501571 every time I want to dress up for an event would be fantastic
  • And as I look over the list point five got my attention:

5. Additions to the item specification syntax to make referencing items more user-friendly.
    ~
    You close your eyes momentarily and extend the range of your vision, seeking out the presence of Drugs. 
    Though too far away to accurately perceive details, you see that Drugs is in Mhaldor.
  • edited July 2013
    I believe that . is currently a word-end specifier for things in general - I know it's usable with tells and targets both, a la 'kill rat.', or 'tell lyn. hi', so that you don't kill rathel instead of rat, and you don't send Lynara a tell instead of Lyn.

Considering that you can't really find an adventurer with the same exact name as a denizen or type of Denizen (or should not be able to, anyhow), I don't see a need for a specifier for denizen vs adventurer. And, considering the 'word end' already exists, overall I think this idea is just superfluous.

ETA: Actually, the 'which' identifier sounds kinda nice. 'kill 3rat' to kill the third rat in the room... But, I think the ID is a smarter way to do this personally, simply because 'id' changes less often than 'number in room' changes. You hit rat 1234, it'll be rat 1234 even if rat 456 left the room just beforehand. Kill 3rat, it may not exist if 2rat ran away just before your hit went through, or you may hit the big-ass black rat that was 4rat, since 2rat ran away....

Now, I would like a config as to whether you hit the first or last in a room by default - I'd much rather hit the last one in the room by default, since if something runs away and comes back, it will be the last one in the room. In fact, being not quite on-topic here, I'm half-tempted to make a thread about it.
    (The Midnight Crew): Cain says, "You on your period lynara?"

(The Midnight Crew): Micaelis says, "Lynara coded periods out of his DNA."
  • Lynara said:
    I believe that . is currently a word-end specifier for things in general - I know it's usable with tells and targets both, a la 'kill rat.', or 'tell lyn. hi', so that you don't kill rathel instead of rat, and you don't send Lynara a tell instead of Lyn.
    It currently only works for adventurer names, "kill rat." won't find anything. It would be nice if it was extended to work with denizens.
  • Huh, I had no idea that was a thing. Good to know!
  • edited July 2013
    who knew there was a was not to get myself killed while hunting! Woohoo!
  • Sena said:
    Lynara said:
    It currently only works for adventurer names, "kill rat." won't find anything. It would be nice if it was extended to work with denizens.
    Huh. I could've sworn I used it for targets as well... Ok, in that case, that definitely needs to be expanded to denizens/room items as well, because yes - no need to hit 'Rathel', just because the rat left the room.
    (The Midnight Crew): Cain says, "You on your period lynara?"

(The Midnight Crew): Micaelis says, "Lynara coded periods out of his DNA."
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Lynara said:

Sena said:

Lynara said:

Huh. I could've sworn I used it for targets as well... Ok, in that case, that definitely needs to be expanded to denizens/room items as well, because yes - no need to hit 'Rathel', just because the rat left the room.

He didn't kill it fast enough and it got away. That's plenty reason to hit someone!
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."