Good books?

Hey all. So just wanted to start a thread to discuss books, It's been awhile since I have read a good one and could use some directions. I like fantasy, but I am not closed to anything else. Some example of fantasy books I have enjoyed are the Mortal Instruments series, Shannara, etc. Just anything you have read recently, or in the past that you would like to recommend or discuss. Go for it!

Comments

• Steven Erikson 'The Malazan book of the Fallen' would be a good start, all the books in it are well written, and he have completed it already, so don't have to wait for future books (albeit he is writing some spin ofs)
  • I'll....um...just post here since I haven't completely read the other one :P
    I have so many books your brain will bleed, I will just do fantasy.

Belgariad Series by David Eddings - I read these in high school and fell in love with them I still read them even got the newest ones on the characters and things like that. In fact that world is probably one of the reasons I like Achaea so much!

Malloreon Series by David Eddings - Its the second series of the same books started by the Belgariad, I have nothing bad to say about any of them. In fact the Mhaldorians remind me of the Malloreons.

I wanted Zakath's baby, that <bleep> stole my man!

(╯° _°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Best books ever! Your books suck by comparison :P

• DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. Good series.

Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. WAY good series as well, just, there are sex scenes, but nowhere near as bad as 50 shades.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Dorsai. That is all

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • I recently finished Mona Lisa Overdrive, the third book in the Neuromancer trilogy, which is some seminal cyberpunk. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, but I would recommend Neuromancer, and if you like it then Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive are more of the same.

I just started The Fractal Prince, sci-fi sequel to The Quantum Thief. The Quantum Thief was amazing, and The Fractal Prince so far seems to be equally as good, except he's turned the dial for made-up words up to 11 which can be a little confusing.

Others I'd recommend are The Dresden Files series which is pulpy modern-day fantasy goodness about a private detective in Chicago who's also a wizard. American Gods by Neil Gaiman is more modern-day fantasy goodness about American Gods. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, a fantasy set in the 19th century about why there are no more wizards like there used to be, begins tediously slowly but soon becomes completely enthralling. Snow Crash is the juciest cyberpunk steak, or if you're vegan then the crispiest cube of fried cyberpunk tofu. I am also a fan of the His Dark Materials trilogy, which @Antonius recommended - completely ignore the movie, the books are great.
  • edited June 2013
    My main area of private study is WWII in Europe, especially as it concerns government administrations, policy, and figures with an equally focused interest in the Eastern Front, which by itself could take a lifetime to scratch that knowledge itch. I stopped reading fiction books about the time I started studying this, as it simply takes away from quality time spent on some stuff that is a little too non-fiction. To each his though. Used to love me some Terry Goodkind.

I'm reading a very interesting true story, not many people have heard of during the end of the war in Europe. 30APR 1945 Hitler ends his life in the bunker, a lesser known "last battle" of sorts occurred. Long story short, the US Army teamed up with the German Army, and put aside their differences. They were about to storm a mountain stronghold full of French prisoners, all VIP's. The enemy? Die hard and elite members of the Waffen-SS who were going to go down with as many people as they could take with them, with Hitler dead they were on suicide mode. Hell, this could make an awesome movie, especially since it showed not everyone over there was exactly happy with their "appointed" leader, and worked do something good in a continent so badly shattered by war it spanned from London to the river Volga.
    I -am- the Cataclysm Switchblade.
  • The Book of the New Sun tetralogy by Gene Wolfe is a very good read. It's a science fiction series taking place on a dying planet Earth, so far in the future that the sun has cooled off considerably. It reads far more like a fantasy novel, though, due to the first person narration as well as the author eschewing invented terms for speculative devices and creatures in favour of repurposing archaic ones.
  • Achimrst said:
    I'll....um...just post here since I haven't completely read the other one :P
    I have so many books your brain will bleed, I will just do fantasy.

Belgariad Series by David Eddings - I read these in high school and fell in love with them I still read them even got the newest ones on the characters and things like that. In fact that world is probably one of the reasons I like Achaea so much!

Malloreon Series by David Eddings - Its the second series of the same books started by the Belgariad, I have nothing bad to say about any of them. In fact the Mhaldorians remind me of the Malloreons.

I wanted Zakath's baby, that <bleep> stole my man!

(╯° _°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Best books ever! Your books suck by comparison :P

If you are going to read anything by Eddings, read the Elenium, and once you have done that, never ever read another book by him, otherwise you will just end up thinking him a hack, writing the same story over and over.
  • Just started The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins having enjoyed The Selfish Gene very much. Absolutely breathtaking so far.

Will add a few more when I get to a PC.