City Destruction

While the city destruction mechanic leaves a lot to be desired in general, it's intended to be a conflict generator. At the moment, it's most rewarding if you avoid conflict entirely, raiding when the target city has nobody around to defend so your group can soak up the juicy textp. To rectify this, since you need five soldiers to sanction a raid, could we change it so that there also has to be five soldiers around from the city you choose to raid before a raid can be sanctioned?

Perhaps, to avoid scenarios where cities would encourage their soldiers to quit the military to avoid the chances of them ever being raided, make it so that raids can be sanctioned if there are, say, seven or eight non-soldiers around as well.

Comments

• Yeah, meant that. Edited for clarity.

• I'd say 5 soldiers or 10 total citizens.
  • Tirac said:
    This is a bandaid fix that still results in PvE entrenchment. I'd rather see a PvP system.
    @Tirac - could you please articulate this?
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    basically, if people fight other people, and gain XP,

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    edited July 2013
    So uhh.. you want to go back to the old system?
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
    The system in place is currently fine for the non PvP party. For the PvPers it's not very exciting or intuitive.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
  • It's true that the PvE element of the system will still remain, but I can't see how that's an argument for why this shouldn't be implemented. It seems fairly simple and straightforward -- even if it doesn't solve everything, it's still a step in the right direction, and can only be an improvement.
    your city is dead when the people who are bothered about city raiding are around on our team. Recruit some active australian players and it will be fairer. You can't ask them to change when they log in, these guys have jobs/lives/commitments. 

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • I don't think it's that significant a problem. I see the Australian/Asian raiding party from Mhaldor around during times when Targossas has 5+ people a fair bit, so I don't think timezone issues would be as much of an issue as you think.
    edited July 2013
    Even if it wasn't, it wouldn't make a difference to the current climate at all. Make it 20 people online.

With at least five veils to make it fair.

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    I would not mind decreased gains when raiders attack a city which has little to no defenders. Tirac did cover my concerns about the suggestion in terms of tweaking the city destruction conditions to include a minimum no. of citizens

I would like more to be added to the "war system", because city destruction is a very linear and ultimately unrewarding mechanism (satisfaction-wise). If anything, I think perhaps something like Aetolia's current war system (isn't that what our old war system was?) which revolves around leading divisions to capture land for comms and territory expansion, and city soldiers defending their divisions might produce a more meaningful conflict.

Of course, that is simply wishful thinking for now.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited July 2013
    For Cyrene, you might need to add in people who can flag themselves as "I give a crap about combat" to make much of a difference with our population of I-don't-give-a-damns. :-<

In seriousness, though, while this seems more of a band-aid, that's not a bad thing, as long as its acknowledged as a band-aid, and not a true "fix" by the admins.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Having a population that does not give a damn, is and should be a problem for the city. :)
  • Melodie said:
    For Cyrene, you might need to add in people who can flag themselves as "I give a crap about combat" to make much of a difference with our population of I-don't-give-a-damns. :-<
    This is a problem that should be addressed within your city by its leadership, not the admins, simply because Lake Muurn probably isn't big or deep enough to sink Cyrene into and we already killed Bal'met.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited July 2013
    I guess I didn't make it clear in my 4am typing - the first was utterly a joke and not meant in any real way at all. It should be regarded in the same way the Serupid classlead was.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Sorry that we keep getting sparks despite your spawn killing of Jeramun. :(
  • Arditi said:
    Melodie said:
    This is a problem that should be addressed within your city by its leadership, not the admins, simply because Lake Muurn probably isn't big or deep enough to sink Cyrene into and we already killed Bal'met.
    I just don't see how the leadership is going to address this when Cyrene is known, on both sides of the keyboard, to be one of the two Cities you join if you don't like combat. 

+1 to Bandaid.

Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • edited July 2013
    War system's awful for so many reasons that aren't this.

The population of Australia (and apparently, UK/Europe and wherever Tirac is) have long-since accepted that this war doesn't actually involve any PK - I don't really know what's taking you so long. I could have sworn this was what you wanted :(

But on topic, I agree with Tirac. You all already sit on ship when your whole group isn't online. If this were implemented anyone who joined off loom and needed help would be genuinely fucked.
    Echald you have replaced Terra as my favourite Targossan

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • That all sounds pretty nifty, although the number of offenders would probably have to be updated during the battle, otherwise you'd see people sanction with five before gating in the other fifteen.
  • Well, I figured it would just count all the soldiers logged in for both the attacking and defending org, not just those present at the sanctioning. Granted, folks could try to game that system by just stay logged out until after the sanction, but if that is the case, could just make it so folks logging in after a sanction is put in place do not receive the bonus XP, only the base amount.
  • There should be a gamble system involved, obviously.

SANCTION RAID FOR <1-5>

Pick a higher number, the final XP is better. Only get xp after you destroy the decided number of rooms. With a higher chosen number, the amount per room increases (sanctioning for 5 is worth more than 5x as sanctioning for 1). Forcing the enemy city to withdraw gives the defending city soldiers who are inside the city XP based on the number of unfinished room. Once the number of rooms is destroyed, you can't summon any more sparks until the next sanction (see below).

Combine this with requiring a certain number of citizens present in realms and a cooldown so you can only declare a sanction raid every 2 hours or so. Something to prevent farming a city with no defenders, encourage active conflict defense more, but without allowing a city to simply sanction for 1 over and over again.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• edited July 2013

I don't think some cities will appreciate having to repair the 30 rooms a day a two-hours sanctionned raid reset would bring.

Special under-post edit: Oh, that does sounds good, although that system would still encourage bringing the maximum amount of people for the minimum possible, unless you start getting in some funky ratios.

• You clearly misunderstood. You wouldn't get any more sparks, the sanction raid reset would only prevent the cities who sanction, get pushed out, sanction again, get pushed out, sanction again, etc.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."