Airships

2»

Comments

• Eld said:
    If deathsights from a while back (during the Bal'met event, iirc) are to be believed, the atavians already have airships. Can't find anything official from the admin on the idea, but my google-fu is not strong.
    yeah, I remember that message being thrown around. I'm mostly just curious as to whether they exist or not. Even if they were never a player-usable thing, it would kind of be a change to my perception of the world

• Nakari said:
    Eld said:
    If deathsights from a while back (during the Bal'met event, iirc) are to be believed, the atavians already have airships. Can't find anything official from the admin on the idea, but my google-fu is not strong.
    yeah, I remember that message being thrown around. I'm mostly just curious as to whether they exist or not. Even if they were never a player-usable thing, it would kind of be a change to my perception of the world
    Someone asked in one of the "Ask your producer" threads after that deathsight, and never got an answer, iirc.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Consider Vastar has bunked off who knows where, and that the Atavians have been the least of anyone's worries or thoughts in centuries, I don't see this happening from that RP perspective. Would kind of be the equivalent at this point of people getting access to Battle/War Citadels, in my opinion. 

• Sylvance said:
    Katzchen said:
    Berenene said:
    Katzchen said:
    I'd like to see airships brought in as ferries to far off destinations. We already have ships for player transport.
    Actually, I wouldn't mind this.  It would cost a little more, but get you there somewhat quicker.
    Yes, one to Meropis would be nice. More expensive, but faster. Or to undiscovered continents.
    That really is a great idea. Make it so that it leaves on a schedule though, rather than at the whim of adventurers. This could also be just the mechanism for an inter-continental postal service, which I remember some folks asking for a little while back.
    About 90% sure that Sarapis would shoot down the idea of denizen airships even more than player airships, because that reduces player interaction. No more "seeking passage to Meropis", which has already been partially crushed by the shipwreck bridge you can use to get there on foot.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Steampunk Achaea.

I approve of this idea.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Xith said:
    Sylvance said:
    Katzchen said:
    Berenene said:
    Katzchen said:
    I'd like to see airships brought in as ferries to far off destinations. We already have ships for player transport.
    Actually, I wouldn't mind this.  It would cost a little more, but get you there somewhat quicker.
    Yes, one to Meropis would be nice. More expensive, but faster. Or to undiscovered continents.
    That really is a great idea. Make it so that it leaves on a schedule though, rather than at the whim of adventurers. This could also be just the mechanism for an inter-continental postal service, which I remember some folks asking for a little while back.
    About 90% sure that Sarapis would shoot down the idea of denizen airships even more than player airships, because that reduces player interaction. No more "seeking passage to Meropis", which has already been partially crushed by the shipwreck bridge you can use to get there on foot.
    Partially crushed? More likely completely. It takes -way- too long to sail to Meropis. Much faster on foot, so I don't see how that point even stands.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Sailing to Meropis takes like 5 minutes.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Let's go the Secret of Mana way and have a travel network made of giant cannons that shoots you at places, or maybe magic catapults.
  • Ourania said:
    I keep all the airships locked up in a huge vault in the moon. No airships for you.
    Planning for Operation Moonjack has begun.
  • Jonathin said:
    Sailing to Meropis takes like 5 minutes.
    Maybe if you were docked at one of the southern mainland harbours, and a highly experienced sailor, but most people don't do that. Walking takes 10 mins, and no risk of pirates/only costs 500g? For the ferry.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    There's a wormhole between the ferry and Ragetooth Beach
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Eh. The mythology is there, according to what I recall of Vastar's hints. After all, multiple islands, can't fly all the way. You'd get tired, you'd need to stop to rest, some winds are just too strong to go through on sheer manpower. How would one move cargo between the cities? Surely you can't do that by hand, unless you used a -lot- of slave labour. But that's mythology, and I recall it being suggested that it was something that happened an extremely long time ago, with most of the knowledge lost to time itself. So sure, Arcadia -might- still have an airship or two, but it'd probably be something slowly in decline as the knowledge of proper maintenance was lost long ago, if they ever existed in the first place.

Mechanically, you'd need to make sailing itself actually interesting. Any problems that Sailing has is probably going to be shared with any theoretical airships, possibly even multiplied if you were to have multiple levels you could sail at.
  • now I just wish I knew how canon deathsights are. I didn't see it myself, but there were definitely a number of reports of iron the forums

• HyperlithHyperlith San Fierro area, San Andreas
    Ourania said:
    I keep all the airships locked up in a huge vault in the moon. No airships for you.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    So I happen to keep track of interesting deathsights, and just for fun since no one seems to have them, here's the air ship one I could find:

The atavian airship "Kuckoocoocoo" has been harpooned and pulled into the sea by the Third Legion of Scyos.

These next two aren't airships, but are similar enough to be rather curious:

A floating colony of atavians on the great western tradewinds has been caught by a freak updraft, carried into high sky and devoured one and all by an ethereal, fragile leviathan of the upper air.

In a feat worthy of one of the melancholy atavian epics, a lone survivor has slain a fragile sky leviathan, puncturing its parchment-thin membranes and sending gouts of gas spewing into the painfully thin atmosphere.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Cant we ride the leviathan instead of steampunk airships?
  • All this 'leviathan and 'floating colony' stuff sounds like someone read The Wind Whales of Ishmael.
  • Ourania said:
    Well, that's no moon, then! Why, some might say it's a... a station of some sort!

• Argys said:
    Ourania said:
    Well, that's no moon, then! Why, some might say it's a... a station of some sort!
    Just make sure all the small 1 metre holes are covered to guard against a group of ungrateful teenagers.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • OuraniaOurania The Garden of the Gods
    No
    Thank you for visiting. Please come again.

• BabelBabel Oblivion
    As amusing as all this is, I believe this thread has been played out.

This discussion has been closed.