The Great Hunt - 628 AF

The Great Hunt has drawn to a close! As the dust settled and the points were tallied up, we proudly proclaimed the following winners:

Sub-61        Sub-99         Open
            ------           ------             ------
1st:      Myriah        Iakimen      Seragorn
2nd:     Dorren        Kardal         Santar
3rd:     Eddard        Mako          Petrel
4th:     Tiarah         Giulia          Prysala
5th:     Stavros       Alrena        Antonius
6th:     Mourfalis     Talonia       Kayeil
7th:     Zaravalos    Josoul        Melodie
8th:     Lis            Accipiter      Arionna
9th:     Jemba         Bluef         Karuxal
10th:    Mordric       Aalya         Artanis

Just a threat to discuss the greathunt if anyone was interested :D I know I had fun. 

Comments

• A threat to discuss? Oh my.

Iakimen tells you, "Nonetheless!  Have to disappear. I do think  Kardal can't catch up, anyway, so I am satisfied."
    You tell Iakimen, "There's still two days left in the hunt, you  never know!"
    Iakimen tells you, "Nay, it's not  possible to hunt 2000 points in two days."
    You tell Iakimen, "You never know!  :D."
    Iakimen tells you, "Stop it Yae! I was leaving all confident, now  you're making me all worried. Gah."
    You tell Iakimen, "They could drop  a random last boss! O__O."
    Iakimen tells you, "Shuddup."
    You tell Iakimen, "Kardal could get the last hit!"
    Iakimen tells you, "Where are you I'm going to thwap you."
    You tell Iakimen, "Clockwork!"
    Iakimen tells you, "Hmph."
    If you need me, you can find me sporadically on the Achaea Discord as Yae. 
    Do not DM on forums unless you're ok with waiting a couple months!
  • Haha I was paranoid because I went from 200 points, to third in the matter of 7 straight hours of hunting. I had to race like 4 targets, because they all saw me coming... One expired the level cap, so couldn't hunt anymore, and I just out paced the others -flex-.

All I can say, my room looks like it endured a great hunt. A little mound of redbull cans next to my bed, empty glasses that once contained chocolate milk, beef jerky bags that are empty, and a player who took a hasty, and I mean, speedy shower after waking up, before beginning to hunt.

Definitely was a fun greathunt, never done one before.
  • Eddard said:
    Haha I was paranoid because I went from 200 points, to third in the matter of 7 straight hours of hunting. I had to race like 4 targets, because they all saw me coming... One expired the level cap, so couldn't hunt anymore, and I just out paced the others -flex-.

All I can say, my room looks like it endured a great hunt. A little mound of redbull cans next to my bed, empty glasses that once contained chocolate milk, beef jerky bags that are empty, and a player who took a hasty, and I mean, speedy shower after waking up, before beginning to hunt.

You should have taken a picture of the carnage. :)
  • Sarapis said:
    Eddard said:
    Haha I was paranoid because I went from 200 points, to third in the matter of 7 straight hours of hunting. I had to race like 4 targets, because they all saw me coming... One expired the level cap, so couldn't hunt anymore, and I just out paced the others -flex-.

You should have taken a picture of the carnage. :)
    Next time I will for sure! It will happen again don't doubt it!
  • My 30c:

1) I have really taken part in precisely one Great Hunt, and it was one of my fondest memories of IRE. Sadly, it was in MKO, whose active population at the time may well have been in double figures.

2) Achaean Great Hunts seem to always come on a weekend that I can't take part (them's the break) so it's a matter of a few frantic hours in the evenings trying to get the bonus credits for participating

3) Great Hunts seem to guarantee that every hunting ground (that I know of) will be bashed out, making it very difficult to get traction. I'd love to see the respawn rate increased or something such.

As ever, thanks to the Admin for continuing to provide different activities.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Sylvance said:
    My 30c:

1) I have really taken part in precisely one Great Hunt, and it was one of my fondest memories of IRE. Sadly, it was in MKO, whose active population at the time may well have been in double figures.

2) Achaean Great Hunts seem to always come on a weekend that I can't take part (them's the break) so it's a matter of a few frantic hours in the evenings trying to get the bonus credits for participating

3) Great Hunts seem to guarantee that every hunting ground (that I know of) will be bashed out, making it very difficult to get traction. I'd love to see the respawn rate increased or something such.

As ever, thanks to the Admin for continuing to provide different activities.
    Completely agree with number 2! I was like yeahhh! I'll get work off and win for once, but then they do it the same weekend as Sierra Nevada World Music Festival, and everyone wants work off! So I had to work most the weekend leaving little time for hunting
  • But of course, Not the admins fault I dont blame them at all! Thanks for the Greathunt though!
  • I was here for part of it, got up to 1000 points. Next time I'll try for 2500.

Sylvance, there's always something that isn't bashed out or respawns fast enough that you can grab a mob or two while the other Dragon who's working the area is still finishing their round. What you need to do is get out of your usual areas, maybe go below your weight class.

I loved the caves, by the way. Didn't go in the Black Forest one because of what I heard about what was in there, but I found out about six other ones and checked them out.

Does anyone know how many caves there were in total ? I got seven.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    There were indeed seven. The Black Forest one wasn't so bad besides the bitchy nymph. Died to her a few times. Aeon plus web plus fast damage is annoying. :P
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    Korben said:
    I was here for part of it, got up to 1000 points. Next time I'll try for 2500.

Sylvance, there's always something that isn't bashed out or respawns fast enough that you can grab a mob or two while the other Dragon who's working the area is still finishing their round. What you need to do is get out of your usual areas, maybe go below your weight class.

I loved the caves, by the way. Didn't go in the Black Forest one because of what I heard about what was in there, but I found out about six other ones and checked them out.

Does anyone know how many caves there were in total ? I got seven.
    Going to disagree with you on one thing here...

"maybe go below your weight class." No, eff that. There's enough dragons playing the IMTAKINGEVERYTHINGBECAUSELOLYOUCANTSTOPMEIMDRAGON! Eff that in the a. Seriously, that attitude is another issue as to why people can't get proper points/levels/whatever. I hate when dragons just run around, clearing qurnok because lolgold/loldragon. I've even seen dragons underhunt so hard they clear Manara. That crap is ridiculous. Next greathunt at least, make a couple caves for the GH on Dragonspire or some crap. Or at least make them dragon only.
  • Eddard said:
    The Great Hunt has drawn to a close! As the dust settled and the points were tallied up, we proudly proclaimed the following winners:

Sub-61        Sub-99         Open
                ------           ------             ------
    1st:      Myriah        Iakimen      Seragorn
    2nd:     Dorren        Kardal         Santar
    3rd:     Eddard        Mako          Petrel
    4th:     Tiarah         Giulia          Prysala
    5th:     Stavros       Alrena        Antonius
    6th:     Mourfalis     Talonia       Kayeil
    7th:     Zaravalos    Josoul        Melodie
    8th:     Lis            Accipiter      Arionna
    9th:     Jemba         Bluef         Karuxal
    10th:    Mordric       Aalya         Artanis

Just a threat to discuss the greathunt if anyone was interested :D I know I had fun. 

I actually didn't participate in the newbie tier of this one. I'm so proud of myself :')

However, this whole new attitude towards stopping cheating is dumb. Dorren died 15 times in ONE deathsight history (about a 3 hours span). Tiarah did the same in the last few hours and even went up 2 ranks because of it. You guys cheated those other newbies out of a decent ranking because you don't enforce your own rules 

• I think my favourite part of the Great Hunt was realising at about midday GMT on Sunday that I own 30,000+ credits worth of artefacts (not including customisations) and that killing myself for the rest of the day trying to get third (for an extra 100 credits) just wasn't worth it at all. Watching Batman Begins and The Dark Knight instead was much more enjoyable.

@Jovolo: It's possible that Dorren just isn't very good at bashing, or at the very least was killing things that were a bit outside of his comfort zone. He's only level 56 now, I'm not convinced there was any cheating going on since he'd have to be losing a quarter of a level (at least) per death in order for those 15 to have been a contributing factor to him not moving into the next level bracket. I don't recall experience loss being anywhere near that severe at low levels, but perhaps I'm wrong.
  • edited June 2013
    I guarantee that considering the amount of points he got in that amount of time without going into the next bracket, he is not new to bashing. Only conclusion I can draw is that he was absolutely cheating. I'm pretty sure he was dying once every 5 minutes or so, and it didn't start happening until he was nearing level 60. My point is it allows him to continue gaining a significant amount of greathunt points. I didn't lose out on anything, so it's not like I feel cheated, but I've encountered so many of these guys when I've won the lower tier myself that I know how frustrating it is to see them get away with it and get past other newbies who were participating honestly.
  • Did a pretty ridiculous amount of bashing (by my standards) to clear the 1000-point mark, made Logosian and then some, and then did what I could to help @Alrena clear the finish line in 5th place, because what else are text-little brothers good for?  Managed to finish at #72 overall, which I considered wasn't too bad.

All in all, A+, would hunt again.  The aforementioned increased spawn rate would have been nice, but generally I had less trouble than I thought I would finding things to hunt.
  • Jovolo said:
    I guarantee that considering the amount of points he got in that amount of time without going into the next bracket, he is not new to bashing. Only conclusion I can draw is that he was absolutely cheating. I'm pretty sure he was dying once every 5 minutes or so, and it didn't start happening until he was nearing level 60. My point is it allows him to continue gaining a significant amount of greathunt points. I didn't lose out on anything, so it's not like I feel cheated, but I've encountered so many of these guys when I've won the lower tier myself that I know how frustrating it is to see them get away with it and get past other newbies who were participating honestly.
    If you think he was dying on purpose, report him. Everyone knows dying on purpose to reduce xp is cheating.

• So @Aaric is part of the reason @Alrena somehow snuck past me when I had to leave with a pretty sizable lead towards the end? Duly noted...

Great Hunts are too long and generally not particularly pleasant for that reason. I understand the desire to partly make it a contest of endurance, but I'd prefer it to be more of a game of skill. When denizens are rare, it takes more game-world knowledge to find areas with denizens, let alone ones with good points:effort ratios. With higher respawn rates, having people race past you because they are higher level, have many more artefacts, and can loop Vertani/Moghedu/Arcadia/UW/Annwyn would be deeply unsatisfying.

At the very least you should hold some Great Hunts that only run for 6, 12, or 24 hours (with reduced or non-credit prizes, perhaps).
  • edited June 2013
    @Daslin, I'm in agreement with your viewpoint outside events. Inside events, what can we do ? There's always someone faster or who has the respawn time down to one milisecond less. Fact is, there's too many of us and too few areas in our bracket.

And when I say 'go below your weight class', I mean Tir Murann instead of UW, or Dun instead of Tir Murann. Not straight down from UW to Manara.

As a side note, Manara wasn't giving us any points. I killed 2-3 gnolls in there to check. Any Dragons bashing it during the great hunt were just wasting their time.
  • DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    @Korben oh, I know what you meant. I was just making mention of what actually happens. It gets absolutely bonkers, even outside of events. But, what can we do?
  • Cooper said:

Jovolo said:

If you think he was dying on purpose, report him. Everyone knows dying on purpose to reduce xp is cheating.

Did, man. Nothing was said about it.
  • HaldonHaldon I forgot...
    Jovolo said:

Sounds as though you have proof. You do have proof don't you? That would be silly to make this claim and have no proof.
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead.
  • I'll fire off an email to Phoenix Wright and see what he thinks of this case.

• edited June 2013
    Haldon said:

Jovolo said:

Sounds as though you have proof. You do have proof don't you? That would be silly to make this claim and have no proof.

Only an idiot would not jump to this easily eached conclusion if they saw the deathsights and knew anything about the lower tier greathunt.

Oh right.
  • Dorren is actually just really bad at bashing. I know for a fact that he had been up for like 28 hours straight, and he was pretty zoned out during the last parts of that. It probably doesn't help that he kept asking me for advice on what he should hunt, and I gave him several things that I thought he could handle...but were a bit too big.

• Jovolo said:
    Jovolo said:
    It's almost as though the admins have access to considerably more information than you, and are in a much better position to decide if there was actually any cheating taking place.
  • I started the hunt on level 45 and I didn't consider that levelling up beyond my bracket would put me into the next one. I was winning the first bracket for about half an hour, then I realised I was nowhere close to competing with the real hunters. Still, double XP and bonus credits are nice.

Well done to those of you with the stamina to stay up bashing all night!
  • I didn't even know I had placed in the bottom tier bracket until someone told me. I had given up getting to 1000 points and at that point was just trying to make the best of the double xp. 
    Made it to 57 
    *nod me*

• Talonia said:
    So @Aaric is part of the reason @Alrena somehow snuck past me when I had to leave with a pretty sizable lead towards the end? Duly noted...

@Talonia - I helped her speed a bit, perhaps, but the rate she was going, she would likely have made it without my help. I was just bored of hunting on my own at that point and casting some reflections in exchange for some XP leeching didn't seem like too bad of a deal.

Incidentally, I apologize for whatever that incident was in Dun Swamp.
  • Antonius said:
    Jovolo said:
    Jovolo said:
    It's almost as though the admins have access to considerably more information than you, and are in a much better position to decide if there was actually any cheating taking place.
    Unlikely.
  • @Aaric - no need to apologize. I was merely RPing being progressively nastier to people I came across during the late hours of the Hunt. If one passing snarl emote is enough to put you off then you need to stiffen up a bit!