What House should I join?

edited June 2013 in North of Thera
I had this idea for my Mhun Shaman. In short, he used to be a slave in Mhaldor but he was freed (probably by his master, kinda doubting about that as most mhaldorians would not do that). He found out about his powers and went on a journey to become stronger, the thing is, he is still  a citizen of mhaldor, he still considers himself to be from Mhaldor. Even though he was treated there terribly he cannot leave it, it has been his home his entire life. Sorry for keeping it so short and bland, just trying to give a quick overview.

Now I was wondering what house to join, I joined the Spiritwalkers which seemed appropriate, but it seems kind of empty and I looked at influence and they are really low. So I was wondering is there another house that would fit which is somewhat more active, or should I stay in the Spiritwalkers?

P.S. I dont know if this is the right forum for this question, please move it if it isnt.

EDIT: Also I would like a house that is not in Mhaldor, to make the roleplay complicated, so not the Blood Congregation if possible. Also I was told you need to be in a House's city to advance within the house, is there no way around this, is there not a house who would make an exception?

Comments

• edited June 2013
    I'm sure some of the more experienced players will weigh in more accurately than I, but in my opinion, RP is what you make of it.  Not knowing the activity level of the Spiritwalkers I can't say, it might be really bad and you never see anyone, but as I'm finding IC if you don't like how something is done, work on changing it.  Spiritwalkers too boring? Then be the catalyst of change, not only will it immerse you in your character, but it'll get you known and thus enrich your experience even more, not to mention earn the respect of your peers.  Just my 2 cents.

Edit: Missed your edit, I say probably not, Houses exist to support their cities from what I can tell.  Notably in this case being Mhaldorian and in a Hashani house would also be contradictory due to the current nature of hostilities.
  • edited June 2013
    Hmm, maybe I will have to leave Mhaldor and make my home somewhere else and still rp like I miss it.

EDIT: Well I joined Hashan, another point of roleplay. I can feel for my character now, making rp more easy, always look at the bright side :).
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    As the Mhaldorian players will be sure to tell you, small is not necessarily a bad thing. The Spirit Walkers are the house to join for Shaman RP, originally being the Shaman guild. There are some excellent players in the house, I would suggest you look out for @Aitox who is an awesome Shaman. There is plenty of opportunity to be had in the Walkers and Hashan right now if you put in the effort.
  • Thank you I will do my best as a citizen of Hashan, but retain the rp of longing back to Mhaldor.
  • AmunetAmunet Spokane, Washington, USA
    The Spirit Walkers would be a better House for shaman RP if they actually Housed shamans, rather than rogue occultists. ;)

Seriously, though, @Vayne has the right of it. The best RP for a class is always going to be found in the House where that class was initiated. Give the Spirit Walkers a chance. It may be the case that you have to put forth more effort in this House than you might in one with a larger base of players, but I'm certain you will find the experience more rewarding.
    My avatar is an image created by this very talented gentleman, of whose work I am extremely jealous. It was not originally a picture of Amunet, but it certainly looks a great deal like how I envision her!
  • AitoxAitox South Africa
    @Seakas, seek me out in-game and we can explore some of your character's aspects to determine if the Spirit Walkers is the House for you. It's very difficult to give you advice on the forums without knowing where you want to take your character.
    Amunet said:
    The Spirit Walkers would be a better House for shaman RP if they actually Housed shamans, rather than rogue occultists. ;)

Seriously, though, @Vayne has the right of it. The best RP for a class is always going to be found in the House where that class was initiated. Give the Spirit Walkers a chance. It may be the case that you have to put forth more effort in this House than you might in one with a larger base of players, but I'm certain you will find the experience more rewarding.
    Apostates first, then we can talk about Occultists.
  • Thanks for all the comments. I will just stay with the Spiritwalkers, after all you only need a few people to help you and have fun with. Plus the rituals sound like really great rp. And there is still the rest of Shallam too.

Seakas said:
    Thanks for all the comments. I will just stay with the Spiritwalkers, after all you only need a few people to help you and have fun with. Plus the rituals sound like really great rp. And there is still the rest of Shallam too.
    Not sure what you mean by "the rest of Shallam" but Targossas does not accept Shaman.
  • Sorry I meant Hashan. As in there is still te rest of Hashan to communicatw with
    edited June 2013

Seakas said:
    Sorry I meant Hashan. As in there is still te rest of Hashan to communicatw with
    Indeed, you find good interactions in most any organization if you look for it, and people will be excited to interact with newbies who want to learn about the lore and ethos of their orgs and who are eager to get involved.
  • Shamans should be in the Warlocks, they study runes because they're earth element based!
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    edited June 2013
    @Seakas: I wish that we could keep you in the Congregation, but it seems like you already have your mind made up about which way you want to go. If you do decide to stick around in Mhaldor, I recommend seeking out @Xer or @Vrah, who are both seasoned Mhaldorian shamans. In regards to figuring out a backstory, you may have a tough time at that. Your master would not release you, unless they themselves were a traitor. Or, more likely: you will be encountered by someone in leadership, who will question why you are not in a Mhaldorian house; you will refuse; they will kill you; and then cast you from the city (just a ... friendly heads up that this is where this is going, and you should ask yourself if you're ok with it). Your character would then be more or less labelled as being "unfit for service" or some such by Mhaldor. So, that might be some useful material for you to base a backstory off of. You will need to discuss the inadequacy of Mhaldorian teachings on Suffering to bring about Strength in your character.

To clarify your question about being told you need to be in the city of your house in order to advance, that is simply untrue from a mechanical standpoint. That said, the source of your confusion is likely Mhaldorian law that all Mhaldorians must be members of Mhaldorian houses; and the converse: all members of Mhaldorian houses must be Mhaldorian citizens. Other cities and houses may have similar, or looser laws or rules, as fits their RP.
  • CIJ.

• Thanks nizaris, I already am a citizen of Hashan which is better as I would never be allowed to walk freely in Mhaldor. And there are some really nice people in the Walkers.
  • Ty Beirdd if you're hardcore enough for Cyrenian RP.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Daeir said:
    It's funny how all of the Magi Houses are basically one big massive joke. They should take jesters as well.
    @Daeir - serious comment?
  • Never! It sounds like "thy beard". And i thought that was a bard house.
  • edited June 2013
    Yes, but Bards are awesome, especially following classleads.

ETA: But, yes... yes it does indeed sound like Thy Beard
  • Seakas said:
    Never! It sounds like "thy beard". And i thought that was a bard house.
    It's actually tie beard.
  • DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    I say it's "kitten lovers anonymous."

I agree with @Triak.

Ashura. It's simple, go monk, join Ashtan, join Ashura, win forever.
  • Daslin said:

I agree with @Triak.

Umm, if I did that would I not forgo my entire idea for my character?

Also, as monk I would go Ebon Fist, Mhaldor ftw!
    Seakas said:

I agree with @Triak.

Umm, if I did that would I not forgo my entire idea for my character? Also, as monk I would go Ebon Fist, Mhaldor ftw!
    Whoa, whoa, whoa...
  • Dont worry Vayne, I will stay a Shaman in Hashan. Some nice people in the walkers, had a really nice ic conversation.

Seakas said:
    Dont worry Vayne, I will stay a Shaman in Hashan. Some nice people in the walkers, had a really nice ic conversation.
    I'm just teasing, as long as you are enjoying yourself, man.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    druids ar ea good house

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    @Mishgul quit mhaldor, go monk, join ashura, the end.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    monk boring.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae