Earning the favour of cities

I'd like to hear pros, cons, and opinions on this and potential reward/benefit (if any) - only constructive criticism please

What I'm thinking:
Having a city or leader of a city be able to give a city favour (or disfavour) to a non-citizen. 

If they get several favours, they can work their way up to getting most of the benefits of being an ally (leaving out ability to speak the language). 

If they get disfavours, denizens become hasty and may attack if the person does something as simple as spamming emotes. Or, since people don't often enemy for yelling stupid things in the city, it can be used effectively as a 3 strikes and you're out policy

Comments

• Starting Achaea, I was really interested in playing a rogue. Until I learned Achaea. I think this would be a really cool way to balance things for rogues without adversely affecting the existing system (which encourages people to join Houses and Cities). Some hard-coded way for people to earn formal ally status with a City, and conversely, something to lose if they abuse or neglect that status. As with everything else in Achaea though, it could easily be abused. Would the guidelines for non-citizen favours and disfavours be determined by the players in the city, the city's Divine, or the administration? We don't want Order members in city leadership positions giving out favours/disfavours based on Order bias.. or do we? not implying that some players see corruption as desirable (but really I am)
  • On a tangent, I personally consider roleplayed corruption as totally desirable, as it's a very realistic thing. The only undesirable aspect corruption could take is when it's somehow OOCly derived. 

• NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    edited June 2013
    Problem is, this can already be done with the existing system.

When I was Ambassador of Mhaldor, we had numerous applicants for citizen and ally status that just didn't cut the mustard at first blush. After sitting down and talking about it with the interested Mhaldorian parties, it was discovered that observed commitment was desired out of certain individuals before the city would consider them. At best, this ended up being organized as a formal contract that detailed what the applicant would do -- what was expected of them -- and over what time frame. Most would be required to apply again for either ally or citizenship status after their service period. But, it was all spelled out, and in my opinion, a better system than just hoping that someone recognizes a non-citizen for favouring (when it's already hard enough to get recognized as a citizen because people can't be aware of everything).

I can think of one character who is doing this right now for Mhaldor off of the top of my head; I'm certain that there are more.

So, in short: this is not needed, and in my personal experience, not desired -- a better system can already be created without coder time by savvy player administrators.

EDIT: Also, @Katzchen, since you recently got the nod, I recommend that you read this post for my advice on your recent promotion. :-D
  • I want a less formal association with cities. I'm really not interested in becoming a formal ally of anywhere, but wouldn't mind people of places being able to know who they can expect to be friendly to them
  • I don't think anything like this needs to be hardcoded. This is already present via people's reputation. Anyone who's been around a while will know most other people and what stances they hold. Learning the atmosphere of your city and about other characters is part of the fun in the game's roleplay.

• If anything though, the strikes should cancel each other out, so if you got favoured by the city and then disfavoured, you'd be a zero strikes. With two favours you'd be at -2 strikes. Of course some cities aren't as tolerant as others so keeping this idea on the rp side of things is probably more efficient anyway.
    Not bad to have as an option though.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • I'll second the above, it wouldn't be bad as an option.
This discussion has been closed.