New emote system

edited June 2013 in North of Thera
To  : Everyone
Subj: Emote overhaul

One of the features that we get asked about most is an expansion to the emote system, allowing a greater range of flexibility when expressing one's self. We agree, and we're pleased to announce the release of our overhauled emoting system!

Some of the features of the new system are:
* Emotes can now be combined with many basic actions, such as GIVE, DROP, and WEAR.
* Items and players can now be seamlessly referenced in emotes.
* Everything is wrapped up in one easy-to-use command: EMOTE - no more TMOTE!
* This is now compatible with artefact pets; those of you who have purchased the sentience add-on for your pets can now direct them to emote using the full system.

Excited yet? We sure are! For all of the details on the new system, check out HELP EMOTING!

We have also added a new CONFIG option: SII or SEEITEMINTERACTION. When someone uses a custom emote in combination a basic action like DROP, those who have this enabled will see a summary of the action following the emote. This is off by default, so CONFIG SII ON if you would like to use it.

(*) Note: The new system offers many changes to expand your options when interacting with players, but one thing that has not changed is our stance on using emotes to scam other adventurers or for advantages in player-vs-player combat. The rules are simple: don't do it.

Discuss!

Comments

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited June 2013
    Edit: Less lame response of SQUEE.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • OMG I LOVE IT SO MUCH!!!

However:
    Can we please, please, please get DRAW and SHEATHE added to the list of actions you can use the new emote system with?

Also, the ability to use @thing's and @container's. It's possible to reword them slightly to avoid needing it, but it would still be great to have.
  • This is literally the best change in years.
  • edited June 2013
    *swoons*

ETA: looked up "swoon" after I posted ... laughing at bad pun

Verb
    Faint from extreme emotion
  • How do these changes interact with custom reactions on arties and the like?  Do they still trigger the wear/remove reactions and such?
    Otherwise, looks seriously awesome.
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Penwize said:
    How do these changes interact with custom reactions on arties and the like?  Do they still trigger the wear/remove reactions and such?
    Otherwise, looks seriously awesome.
    Yes, all reactions still fire with the custom emotes.
  • I am so so in love with this. The fact that Obaku can do things like this is going to make me able to make him so much more alive. 

Love it.
  • JiraishinJiraishin skulking
    edited June 2013
    Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

One question: would it be possible to target actions to the liquid in a vial rather than the container itself, so SIP CORNJUICE: takes a reluctant sip from @thing shows 'Jiraishin takes a reluctant sip from a vial of corn juice' rather than 'Jiraishin takes a reluctant sip from an oaken vial'?

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • Bad grammar, worse joke, best use of the new emoting system.
  • NimNim
    edited June 2013

As a tintin++ user ($ is used for variables), I formally request characters other than $ to be used. Ideally a config option or something would be the most unversal option, but just allowing ^ as previous would be fine. If it still does work, then I request that it be documented.

ETA: The same could be said of @ characters, if there was a client that used those. I know tintin++ uses those for functions, but I'm almost positive it won't parse it as a function unless you have some braces after it.

• Nim said:
    As a tintin++ user ($ is used for variables), I formally request characters other than $ to be used. Ideally a config option or something would be the most unversal option, but just allowing ^ as previous would be fine. If it still does work, then I request that it be documented.
    Same for @ in zMUD.
  • This is just amazing and awesome and amazing.

Did I mention that this is amazing?
  • edited June 2013
    we can use $name_(she|herself|hers) but not $name_her. Is there a reason for that? 

I'm an idiot... it just clicked after two years of emoting...
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Vaehl said:
    You remove 1 nuts, bringing the total in the Rift to 95.

Yes, you can see where this is going.

You are holding:
          nut349714           a handful of nuts

Mhmm...

You have emoted: Ayoxele grabs his own a handful of nuts.

Loving this new system.
    issued

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • I really like this, I was struggling trying to figure out the tmote system, I like that it's all consolidated and I find the new help file a bit cleaner in explanation as well.  Thanks!
  • edited June 2013
    Sena said:
    Nim said:
    Same for @ in zMUD.
    I bugged this for Nexus. $ is used for variables too. No update :(
    ~
    You close your eyes momentarily and extend the range of your vision, seeking out the presence of Drugs. 
    Though too far away to accurately perceive details, you see that Drugs is in Mhaldor.
  • TuroiTuroi Missouri :(
    Having spent hours in the past writing custom emotes for Turoi, coming back to see this was like winning the lottery.

Bummed to see that SAY isn't incorporated, but it's definitely a very awesome start.

"Slowly disappear. Never really here."

• Jonners said:
    Sena said:
    Nim said:
    Same for @ in zMUD.
    I bugged this for Nexus. $ is used for variables too. No update :(
    See the latest announce post (#3898) for a fix to this problem. :)
  • Yep, all my targeted emotes are back up and working! Huzzah!
    ~
    You close your eyes momentarily and extend the range of your vision, seeking out the presence of Drugs. 
    Though too far away to accurately perceive details, you see that Drugs is in Mhaldor.
  • edited July 2013
    I don't get why adventurers and denizens/objects need to be targeted separately with different operators. If standard emotes and other actions like 'give' can work without needing to specify the difference why can't the new emote system? I can't use any of my targeted custom emotes on denizens because I have it set to target adventurers. Can someone explain why it's like this please?
    ~
  • Coincidentally, I wish there was a way to specify that you want to target an adventurer or a denizen, in ambiguous cases where the input you give could refer to either, without figuring out the thing's number and typing that up.
  • Nim said:
    Coincidentally, I wish there was a way to specify that you want to target an adventurer or a denizen, in ambiguous cases where the input you give could refer to either, without figuring out the thing's number and typing that up.
    When does that ever happen? I've not come across that one.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • All I can think of for that are situations where a denizen keyword is the beginning of a player's name. For example, a group of Mhaldorians hunting Dun Fortress and targeting Orchist instead of an orc, or going after Yudhi and killing Dragonknight instead. Or, for that matter, if Ormyrr had happened to return from dormancy during the Bal'met event. Not sure if @Nim had a more common situation in mind.
  • JiraishinJiraishin skulking
    Man for Mannimar?

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."