introduced my cousin to Achaea (his first MUD) [transcription of feedback]

2»

Comments

• gotta add the best part of our ongoing dialogue so far:

Sedraxis: to sum up how im feeling right now, the first couple verses from lose yourself by eminem
    Sedraxis: im so anxt for my interview
    Monday 6:02pm

Sedraxis: Blade Aspirant Sedraxis, Recruit of Black Squadron

good work son, wish I would have reflink'd you
  • HataruHataru Midwest USA
    @Sarapis Out of curiosity, which classes are those going to be? Because Infernals, for example, are better off with decay than a shortsword (until duality) and serpents don't usually go for garrote first they get sumac. But then of course you have classes like Runewarden where they do absolutely need that shortsword.

I think its a brilliant idea just so they have it, just curious how it'll be handled!
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Melodie says, "Get rekt scrubbbbb."
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): You say, "Scrubbbssss."
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Trey says, "Austere was hangin' out the passenger side of his best friend's ride, apparently."
  • Hopefully Duality will be obtainable immediately after Paladin classleads are evaluated, so giving Knight classes a couple of shortswords as part of the intro would be fantastic.
  • HataruHataru Midwest USA
    @Antonius I agree, right now it just sucks for Runewarden novices and for anyone who would try to be a rogue Infernal (yeah I know that's contrary to our current IC politics but whatever) who didn't know about decay they'd be a bit lost in the wind.

From an ~experienced~ HoN's point of view I'd love to see DSL and garrote lowered because leveling is so much faster in general now at those levels, at least than when I was a wee bitty one, and most of them have it by level 21/30 anyway (DSL at least, I can't remember garrote) so I don't see the harm at all in lowering in so novices could actually have the typical bashing skills of their class right from the beginning.
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Melodie says, "Get rekt scrubbbbb."
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): You say, "Scrubbbssss."
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Trey says, "Austere was hangin' out the passenger side of his best friend's ride, apparently."
  • Hataru said:
    From an ~experienced~ HoN's point of view I'd love to see DSL and garrote lowered because leveling is so much faster in general now at those levels, at least than when I was a wee bitty one, and most of them have it by level 21/30 anyway (DSL at least, I can't remember garrote) so I don't see the harm at all in lowering in so novices could actually have the typical bashing skills of their class right from the beginning.
    Lowering garrote would also require reworking it a bit, mainly the accuracy. Right now it's not much better than sumac (worse than sumac if you have a crappy whip, which is common) when you first learn it, trying to use it as it is with even less subterfuge would be terrible.
  • I'd like to see garrote moved down, and set its accuracy with something like, when you get garrote it's accuracy/strength will stay the same as if it's at Expert/Virtuoso, then increases for the last few ranks of the skill.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• Titonus said:
    Azi said:
    thought it might be useful to see how a true newbie is progressing, and under what circumstances

(6 hours later)
    cousin: okay. killing pixies is becoming tedious, I've a small fortune and still no idea where to get a shortsword
    (2 hours later)
    cousin: okay finally got a longsword

Arms of the Maldaathi has like, 20 shortswords for 1000 golds... they're priced low specifically for newbies...you should have him do some exploring in the city shops.
    Pricing really crappy items at prices that only newbies will buy pisses me off. 

@Sedraxis don't ever buy armour or weapons in a shop unless you ask someone the stats and whether or not they are any good.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    In the case of knights, chivalry, weaponry and proficiency level all matter on top of weapon stats unless that got changed somewhere.

And nobody said they were crap swords, @Peak, only that they were affordable for novices.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• All shortswords are crap swords. 1k is way too much for them. IMO novices should be handed them and told, "these are shit but will work for now. Eventually you will need to buy better swords."

• Peak said:
    IMO novices should be handed them and told, "these are shit but will work for now. Eventually you will need to buy better swords."
    More accurate would be "These are shit except for their accuracy, which makes them the only thing you can reasonably use. Eventually you will be able to buy better swords."
  • I can live with ^that.
  • edited June 2013

:-O 

:-t

• (Party): Sedraxis says, "And i just finished my last final, im free from college for the summer."

awesome
  • Free from college, bound to Achaea to be forever lost!
  • TitonusTitonus Youngstown, Ohio
    Peak said:
    Titonus said:
    Azi said:
    thought it might be useful to see how a true newbie is progressing, and under what circumstances

(6 hours later)
    cousin: okay. killing pixies is becoming tedious, I've a small fortune and still no idea where to get a shortsword
    (2 hours later)
    cousin: okay finally got a longsword

Arms of the Maldaathi has like, 20 shortswords for 1000 golds... they're priced low specifically for newbies...you should have him do some exploring in the city shops.
    Pricing really crappy items at prices that only newbies will buy pisses me off. 

@Sedraxis don't ever buy armour or weapons in a shop unless you ask someone the stats and whether or not they are any good.
    The Maldaathi doesn't coddle their young members. If you want something, you work for it. The low price doesn't mean, "These are shit, but you need swords so lawl at you buy them." They are priced because you have to work for what you want in the Maldaathi. Even if it's only 2000 gold for a pair. It's a place to start, and it hopefully teaches some responsibility and self-reliance. Again, just to reiterate, it has nothing to do with taking advantage of newbies, and everything to do with making supplies available while educating.