Final Words

So, similar to the Motto and Warcry, this idea is an option to choose something that your character whispers with their dying breath when slain.

inb4:
  • People will write dumb shit (Go figure. People write dumb shit already in mottos and warcries, but many other people use them responsibly)
  • It'll be annoying to read (Gag it, or perhaps allow a CONFIG to ignore them)
  • You could code it yourself (You could? Someone tell me how, plx)
Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
I take my hat off to you.

Comments

• JiraishinJiraishin skulking
    Don't like it for the first two of the three reasons listed in the OP.
    Sylvance said:
    • It'll be annoying to read (Gag it, or perhaps allow a CONFIG to ignore them)
    I don't think the bolded is a good argument in this case. While I can see gagging something like the indoors tags on rooms, the point of that tag is to give you a bit of extra information about the game environment. The point of this is game atmosphere. If it has to be gagged not to annoy people, it shouldn't be put in.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Really like the idea. 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• "You had more people"
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    "issuing"

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• "Whoops."
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • This is kind of a cool idea, but I feel like if it was done, it should have a credit cost to change/set to mitigate abuse, and not happen on every death.  Maybe just make it a shop of wonders item, with a 30% chance of saying something on true death.

Similarly, it'd be interesting to have that sort of thing in the reverse situation as well: automatically say something in some interesting way after you kill someone.

There's room for interesting bits here, but having it as open as warcries/mottos would water it down and open it to terrible OOC things.
  • The fact that you linger as a soul after death makes this pretty pointless.

• Sena said:
    I don't really see the point, you can already talk as a soul. If you want to say something when you die, just say it. That way you can also make it more relevant to the situation, instead of having a stock phrase that you say every time you die.
    Agreed. I'm not that worried about people writing "dumb shit" (because we have to accept that this can happen almost anywhere), but much more about people writing up something that may actually be perfectly acceptable, but will still grow old very quickly. If a death is meaningful enough for your character to require some kind of final words, I think you can be bothered to actually think of something to say that is appropriate to the given situation. In all the other cases where this seems like too much trouble, it might be better to say nothing at all. Giving your character "catch phrases" isn't inherently wrong, but it can get over-the-top and annoying extremely easily if it's automated.
  • They should all require approval by a CR6 or similar. Or basically be bestowed like titles are. Reduce the number of people to blame for silly ones.

+1?
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Lot of people are irresponsible with titles though. Not just the people wearing stupid titles but whoever does the titling too.

Was in Ashtan for like 1 day before someone titled me Sartan's Whore for lulz. Wasn't something I asked for either.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• #trigger {You have been slain} {say This is a bad idea!} {HelmOfThoughts}

• Kyrra said:
    Lot of people are irresponsible with titles though. Not just the people wearing stupid titles but whoever does the titling too. Was in Ashtan for like 1 day before someone titled me Sartan's Whore for lulz. Wasn't something I asked for either.
    You can always issue them and get their powers/position stripped.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Cooper said:
    #trigger {You have been slain} {say This is a bad idea!} {HelmOfThoughts}

Come on, @Cooper... This isn't even in that ballpark :'(
  • @Trey if you read my inb4 is as 'rendering the points invalid' then you're mistaken as to my intent. I simply wanted to address the most obvious flaws in the idea. More people should do that when writing ideas.
  • Penwize said:
    This is kind of a cool idea, but I feel like if it was done, it should have a credit cost to change/set to mitigate abuse, and not happen on every death.  Maybe just make it a shop of wonders item, with a 30% chance of saying something on true death.

Similarly, it'd be interesting to have that sort of thing in the reverse situation as well: automatically say something in some interesting way after you kill someone.

There's room for interesting bits here, but having it as open as warcries/mottos would water it down and open it to terrible OOC things.
    I'd buy this as SoW item.
  • Can't you just say something when you die?
  • Jovolo said:
    Can't you just say something when you die?
    This has been suggested quite a few times during the thread, yes.
  • The idea, I think, is to have something more flavourful than 'The soul of Person says, "Ow."'  Saying something with your dying breath, or even just a particular emote as you die, has a lot of room for interesting bits.
  • Except that it makes no sense to be able to say something as you die for the majority of ways you're going to die in Achaea.

Oh that guy just snapped my spine with a backbreaker? Let me say something quick.

My head is being chopped off, let me say something witty quick.

Etc.

• edited June 2013
    Cooper said:
    It's not realistic.
    No, you're right. It isn't. It's a fantasy text-game.

[spoiler] Yes, I know that isn't what you said, so at this point I'm straw-manning. But come on, this could be fun and interesting, although, yes, it might require a little suspension of disbelief in some cases. [/spoiler]
  • Jovolo said:
    Can't you just say something when you die?

• Sylvance said:

@Trey if you read my inb4 is as 'rendering the points invalid' then you're mistaken as to my intent. I simply wanted to address the most obvious flaws in the idea. More people should do that when writing ideas.

Oh, I agree with the intent. Was just a kneejerk reaction, most times you see 'inb4' it's used to dismiss talking points before they're ever brought up.

• There's the question of 'who' says the dying breath - the soul or the body. Because there are kills that sort of prevent the head from talking - behead, brokenstar, cleave and so on. If it's the soul that does the dying breath...well, others have already brought it up so you know what I mean.

This discussion has been closed.