level dead zone mid 80s

1235»

Comments

• One idea I had was to maybe make commidites part of the "end game" bashing process? Drop rates would have to be factored into gold drops as well, but it would incentivse cities and players to engage in commodity exchange more. Consideration could also be given towards crafting class goods, like a vial of partially filled health or venom from an advanced knight mob, or some mana or sigils from a mage. Value would have to be considered in addition o gold drop rates, but this could be factored in to all levels of play. Pixies might drop cloth for example. Even skills for skinning or mining.

Anyhow. Maybe alternative rewards than gold that have impact on the economy as well, particularly consumables.

• Amedinias said:
    Not to mention the fact that most people who quit playing Achaea and never come back is based on the discouragement of leveling past 70. I imagine we would have a lot larger player base if this game wasn't so difficult to level in. There's just not enough incentive to level to dragon, other than more health.
    I think it's easy to make grand statements like this without a shred of evidence. And, I'm sorry, it just isn't hard to bash to 80.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.

I want to be a part of this universe with bathmats and zeroes and ones guys
  • edited June 2013

Amedinias said:

@Sylvance

Not trying to make 'grand' statements here. I PERSONALLY know several people who have quit playing this game because it was too hard to level, or the grind just got too long and too boring had a strange idea of what Achaea offers, and so went back to playing Wow.. I think my personal knowledge counts as much better evidence to me than whatever crap you might be able to pull outta yur bum at a moments notice interpersonal skills are t3h pwnage. Go troll somewhere else. PS - I love you.

ftfy
  • Cooper said:
    @Amedinias - if it is taking you 4 hours to gain 50% at your low level, you are doing something entirely wrong. Without arties you can go from level 98 to 99 without any experience bonus, no pk, etc. in one 24 hour period.

You're probably one of those people who go afk for 30 seconds after every mob, or take 10 seconds to move after you kill something, etc.

I PERSONALLY know over 20 people that think getting to Dragon is way too easy and should be made a lot harder.
    100% agree with the above. It seemed hard as I was doing it because I am bad at repetitive tasks, but honestly after you get it done you look back and think huh, that wasn't as impressive and challenging as I was told. 
    -
    (Whiners Anonymous): Alcaro says, "If I overdose on anything, though, it'll be a lack of anything."
    (Whiners Anonymous): Alcaro says, "Isn't Morimbuul that Arab that was banished to beneath Mhaldor or something."
  • I was actually surprised at how fast leveling was in Achaea, at least in the beginning. It seems about right at the upper levels but I guess I've played some grindfests in the past. I don't think the current system is too painful for those who hate bashing to at least get up to the 70-80 range for PvP if that's their goal.
  • A lot of people forget about questing, but that's another source of XP you can intersperse with the bashing to liven up the process. With a bonus, there's less people doing quests than bashing.
  • Yeah, but xp for quests is awful compared to bashing.
  • nevermind the xp gotten from KILLING the quest denizens. 

• Anaidiana said:

nevermind the xp gotten from KILLING the quest denizens. 

I lol'd because I thought you meant killing the quest givers.
  • Eld said:
    Yeah, but xp for quests is awful compared to bashing.
    Depends on how fast you bash/what things you bash, which for some classes is not that great either.
  • NimNim
    edited June 2013

I think @Amedinias makes some pretty good points, and just lacks the class and taste to present them in a likable manner. (ETA: Don't get so upset when people disagree with you on the internet! That's practically what it's there for!)

Bashing to 80 is easy because you know everything. Achaea is a game shrouded in secrecy and mystery, and a lot of people think that ought to stay its main selling point, but as long as that's true, new players will not find it so easy to reach 80. They have to learn as they go along, and it's very easy to just stick with inefficient methods because they work, and then get discouraged when they start to not work as well.

(Personally, it's off topic, but I think houses should assign each novice like five mentors instead of just one, so that they have multiple people to go to for help without feeling awkward. Nim arguably had four or five different mentor-like people and a best friend, and that's a huge reason why I stuck with her! More on topic, though, just about each of them showed her one or two bashing spots.)

Commodities could be a cool alternative incentive, although I'm not sure if they would always make sense. Still, I could see some dragon-themed quests about "protecting" (quotes optional) villages for their gems and gold.

edited because wow can I write run-on sentences when I'm tired

• Rispok said:
    nevermind the xp gotten from KILLING the quest denizens. 
    I lol'd because I thought you meant killing the quest givers.

Well...uh...you see...that is to say...you know...

• CarmellCarmell Eastern Washington
    Cooper said:
    @Amedinias - if it is taking you 4 hours to gain 50% at your low level, you are doing something entirely wrong. Without arties you can go from level 98 to 99 without any experience bonus, no pk, etc. in one 24 hour period.

You're probably one of those people who go afk for 30 seconds after every mob, or take 10 seconds to move after you kill something, etc.

I PERSONALLY know over 20 people that think getting to Dragon is way too easy and should be made a lot harder.
    Getting to dragon is a lot easier now that you have all the new area's.  I know when I was bashing to dragon it took me ages and I hunted basically one place timed I could hunt the whole thing offer then start over and I would do it for hours on end it got boring.  Sadly I still bash that area quite often because I haven't learned any of the new area's while I was sleeping and there isn't much you can bash as a dragon really.  Besides what I already bashed.
  • Azor said:
    @Korben, I think what you say makes sense, but I predict a lot of rage if Achaea ever releases an area you have to pay credits to get to.
    I don't see why. There is plenty of game available as free to play with a few features for paying customers, that's the point of the freemium model which Matt invented. I would actually consider buying wings or some similar artefact that provided access to the elemental planes for example. These sorts of areas could provide excellent bashing for people like Penwize or even myself and help clear out the main areas for regular bashers.
    Also, while it may take an age it is very possible to never pay real money and get all the expensive things people buy. I know of several people who have earned thousands of credits this way.
    ~
    You close your eyes momentarily and extend the range of your vision, seeking out the presence of Drugs. 
    Though too far away to accurately perceive details, you see that Drugs is in Mhaldor.
  • edited June 2013
    Jonners said:
    Azor said:
    @Korben, I think what you say makes sense, but I predict a lot of rage if Achaea ever releases an area you have to pay credits to get to.
    I don't see why. There is plenty of game available as free to play with a few features for paying customers, that's the point of the freemium model which Matt invented. I would actually consider buying wings or some similar artefact that provided access to the elemental planes for example. These sorts of areas could provide excellent bashing for people like Penwize or even myself and help clear out the main areas for regular bashers.
    Also, while it may take an age it is very possible to never pay real money and get all the expensive things people buy. I know of several people who have earned thousands of credits this way.

I'm with @Korben on this one. Whether it would be reasonable to rage is another question entirely, but there would be a mass bitchfit if this ever happened. There's already a ton of rage over the fact that you can't do everything for free right away and with little effort.
  • edited June 2013
    Clearly I should just create and be omnitrans with all artefacts, I mean why would I play the game if I actually had to work for something? *sarcasm*
    ~
    You close your eyes momentarily and extend the range of your vision, seeking out the presence of Drugs. 
    Though too far away to accurately perceive details, you see that Drugs is in Mhaldor.