sanctioning raids

This is my idea: that war aides (not just the war minister and ruling council members) should be able to sanction raids.  This would allow more cities to appoint raid leaders more easily than at present.

Comments

• YenYen
    edited June 2013
    Since I saw this was denied I will add this comment: I don't think sanctioning a raid is like standing there and saying 'I hereby authorize this official act of aggression', more like, 'I authorize the use of military equipment,' which is the kind of thing a mid-ranking military officer (which is how I see war aides) would do.  You wouldn't expect the general (the war minister) to be there for every battle.
  • There would have to be a limit on the number of War aides I suppose, but if we could just get 3-4 people aided it would help since sometimes the ruling council of a city isn't really interested in combat and raiding.
  • This is why you need competent viceroys and war ministers.
    -----------------------------
    @DontarionDrakor for twitter boredom.

• HataruHataru Midwest USA
    @Nemutaur that was why I had previously suggested capping it at war aides above x city rank (my original suggestion was CR4 I believe) so it was clearly not like random CR1s going in and sanctioning.

A lot of people seemed against this idea (contrary to what was originally a positive response to it on clan, though none of those involved people commented) on the basis that 5-6 + 1 should be enough.

I think it would make sense, however, since not all cities are like Mhaldor or (current) Targ where to be a leader = to be on the battlefield (pretty much mandatory). I think it would really help those cities where to be a leader is more political and RP based SANS all of those 'expectations' the more military states require. I mean I've been a member of Hashan at varying times where not a single leader was a raider or a defender or combat competent and its not that hard to run across that in the other cities imo with the city leaders - obviously MoW should always be combat competent.

It could also help for when a city has that many leaders/ministers that are just clustered in specific time zones so they only tend to happen during x hours and never during y hours because none of them are ever on during y hours.
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Melodie says, "Get rekt scrubbbbb."
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): You say, "Scrubbbssss."
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Trey says, "Austere was hangin' out the passenger side of his best friend's ride, apparently."
  • It's up to you how you want to manage your city, but if you want it not to have a war-like bent, you won't have as many people willing and able to sanction raids. Sensible trade-off.

• Well honestly Hashan doesn't really go and sanction raids, and neither does Cyrene.

And yeah, there was already admin/Garden feedback that this wasn't going to happen. So I guess the only solution is to make sure you have at least 2-3 raiders on the ruling council and make sure that your Minister of War is also in a good raiding time zone.

The whole Ministry of War does need something else to do honestly, right now I just have a few people (who I really should aide, I just keep forgetting) who maintain the tanks/sparks and that is about it.
  • You don't even need to be an aide to do tank maintenance or summon spark. Would be nice for the ministry to get an overhaul at some point, though, with something added to supplement city destruction.

• HataruHataru Midwest USA
    @Silas oh I agree its a sensible trade-off in a sense that if you want to be able to raid at all your city should take that into consideration of how its laid out, half the reason I'd brought that up before is I hadn't really sat down to think of any other ways to make war aides... have a purpose... and because someone else had brought it up on a clan.

I think it'd just be the 'easy way out' of actually giving war aides a purpose and would rather see a total overhaul to the ministry itself of how to actually solidify it within the new war system instead of just sort of being there.

But any sort of change is going to be tricky to find a balance as far as that goes, finding a balance between giving boons for having an active ministry and not screwing over the cities who aren't militant or active raiders will be a feat in and of itself.
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Melodie says, "Get rekt scrubbbbb."
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): You say, "Scrubbbssss."
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Trey says, "Austere was hangin' out the passenger side of his best friend's ride, apparently."
  • edited June 2013

Silas said:
    Cities probably need a way to generate income outside of war and credit sales for those cities with smaller playerbases who don't have huge credit buyers. Maybe add something to Culture, or come up with a system to make it so that ally villages pay tithes to their parent cities and run it through the Ambassador.
    This is an interesting idea to propose and I do rather like it, but some players in cities - large and small -  have enough gold to pay tithes and it's seldom done, even 10% of personal hunts adds up after a while.

My only concern would be what if you tax/tithe the village too much for protection and they rise up with pitchforks and start storming the cities? We may start seeing death-sights such as: <Ambassador of Targossas> has been overcome by a mob of Sisters of New Hope in protest of tithes or The Salamandrin Guards from Enverren have ripped <Ambassador of Mhaldor>'s throat over taxation without representation.

“There is no greater sorrow than thinking back upon a happy time in misery--”

• edited June 2013
    http://www.lusternia.com/economics

Edit: I don't actually play Lusty, so I have no idea if this is good, I was just reading it yesterday.
  • Could help you out there by giving a basic idea of how their village system works:

There are villages scattered throughout Lusternia. Some of them can be converted to your city's cause by means of scheduled events colloquially termed as 'village revolts'. Every village generates resources for the city in the form of commodities and/or nexus power. Naturally, the more villages your city controls, the more resources and power you will receive.

During revolts, affected villages(usually two or three per revolt) will remove themselves from its city's control(and any guards/defensive structures will be also be removed), and people can attempt to influence the denizens to their city's cause. If enough influence was gathered by a city, the city will pledge its temporary allegiance to them and can no longer be influenced by others until the next revolt.

Depending on the villages affected, the revolt may or may not be PK-allowed - that is to say, some revolts will result in the entire village area having a pacify effect for its duration. 

One more thing - the government style of your city will also affect resource production. Commercial governments will produce more commodities with reduced power generation, Religious governments will produce more nexus power at the expense of reduced commodity gains, and so on.

More details here and here.