LA, Cali?

AktillumAktillum Philippines
edited September 2012 in The Wander Inn
I'm here until Sept. 5th
What's good

Comments

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Food wise some moderately price places that are good.  Father's Office, Unami Burger, Daikokuya, Kyochon, Dino's, any of the thousands of legitimate mexican restaurants in LA

Expensive: Mastro's, Lawrys, SLS, Fogo de Chao

Places to go: Griffith Park Observatory/Hollywood Sign, Getty Museum, 3rd Street Promenade (Santa Monica), La Brea Tar Pits, LACMA, MOCA, Malibu, watch a movie at the Chinese Mann in Hollywood
  • AktillumAktillum Philippines
    edited September 2012
    Sushi is my thing, hit up a place called Sansai that was pretty good. Went to Malibu, will probably do Santa Monica pier and Hollywood over the weekend. Really, really want to hit up Venice. I'm in the Marina Del Rey area btw.

If you have a car check out pitfire pizza, alibi room (they have the famous kogi tacos that started the food truck craze), Sakura has good sushi, the Counter (burgers).  Aunt Kizzy has good soul food, there's a food court in the Mitsuwa (Japanese super market) that has a Santouka which is some of the best ramen in LA.  And the ramen is nothing like top ramen you might associate it with.  If you want really really authentic sushi go to Sushi Zo but it will cost $200 a person.
  • edited September 2012
    There's a better place in the other supermarket (which is now Korean for some reason) It's on the third floor of the mall, and it's called Hanaichimonmei. They don't have sushi that I know of, but they have, in my opinion, the best ramen in LA.

They also have japanese shaved ice...milk is the best XD ((it's sweetened condensed milk...what's not to like?))
    @Nicia - That's in Little Tokyo, the Mitsuwa I'm referring to is in West LA on Centinela and Venice.  Little Osaka/Sawtelle has some good curry places (Hurry Curry and Curry House) as well as some high end Shabu Shabu places.  Blockhead is good (and immensely popular) for taiwanese shaved iced.  
  • edited December 2012
    Bump. Semester is almost over and I'm still in LA. Cinya texted me over a month ago and I couldn't meet up because I was in a play. Anyone want to meet up soon in the LA/Santa Monica area? Worst case scenario, @Achilles @Cinya and I can get mildly drunk before noon and play bumper cars again.
    Sure.  Has to be this weekend or in January though.  Out of town from Dec 9-30.
  • edited December 2012
    Sorry, we had like 3 weekends in a row that didn't line up from what I heard from you two, and I totally let that slip through the cracks. :( 

I'd be down for this Sunday. Maybe we can hit up Venice this time? 

Edit: Oh, or maybe Saturday could work, if you're out on Sunday, @Achilles. Let me check. My company has a holiday party this weekend, but I forget if it's Friday night or Saturday. 
    Mathonwy said:
    dactylic hexameter is
    way more interesting than the inside of anyone's vagina.
  • I'd be more tempted to set a date in January, so anyone else who wants to get their ducks in a row can. This weekend I am seeing a Sunday matinee if nothing else, so could be free on Saturday, but it's not a prime weekend.
  • Bumping this. I'm booked this coming weekend, but the weekend after, anyone? @Achilles, @Rispok
    Mathonwy said:
    dactylic hexameter is
  • Sure, I'm in winter classes, but that leaves friday/sat/sun free
    I'm in Asia right now until the 3rd.  Shoot I think I'm missing the Super Bowl.  I'm free Feb 9-10 weekend though (if not supremely jetlagged). 
  • That would work for me too, probs, as the winter session will be over on the 7th. Who else can we wrangle into going? @Kellonius?
  • KelloniusKellonius Cape Girardeau, Missouri
    I dont live in San Diego anymore. Sorry guys. I got out of the Military and moved somewhere a wee bit quieter.
  • Should work for me! I'll hit you guys up closer to it. 
    Mathonwy said:
    dactylic hexameter is
  • The weekend is a week and end away, @Cinya and @Achilles, have we figured out anyone else we can rope into going?
  • I don't know of anyone, but I'd be down for just us hanging out again if that's all we can get! 

Maybe lunch or hanging out in Venice or Culver City, on Saturday afternoon?
    Mathonwy said:
    dactylic hexameter is
    works for me, I don't know anyone else in the area that would meet up with us though.  Lurkers we won't gank you when you show up, promise.
  • For anyone lurking, the plan seems to be looking like Venice Beach this Saturday the 9th.We haven't decided on an exact location yet, but I'm going to make the other two pick for me, since I'm not familiar with that area.
    I think Rispok and I agreed to meet at Father's Office (Santa Monica Location) on Montana on Saturday.  They open at noon so that seems to be the best time to meet (no reservations).  
    add Cinya.  Cmon there has to be more than 4 Achaeans in the LA/So Cal area.  
  • Very last minute, but a few of us I think will be meeting in the WLA/Santa Monica area this Saturday, June first. Not sure what we're doing, but get in touch with @Cinya or myself if you're interested.
  • We totally didn't have our shit together. Maybe another week! Or maybe @Cinya just had lunch without me. As I've mentioned elsewhere I'm leaving the country fairly soon, but when I get back (late July) I'd love to meet up with anyone who'd like to do so.
    Sorry I had to lay waste to my liver this weekend for the greater good. An August meet works for me.
    Rispok said:
    We totally didn't have our shit together. Maybe another week! Or maybe @Cinya just had lunch without me. As I've mentioned elsewhere I'm leaving the country fairly soon, but when I get back (late July) I'd love to meet up with anyone who'd like to do so.
    Yikes, just read about the shooting at SMCC, hope you and your friends are okay.
  • I and all the people I know (so far) are okay. I was on campus when it went down. As far as I know the gunman was not directly targetting the school, but a series of events happened that culminated there. As many as 7 are dead, two confirmed, one of which was the shooter.

I can tell you that hearing assault rifle shots echo through the palm trees in the quad wasn't really good motivation to take my last final exam. Guess I'll have to reschedule... Again...
  • Glad to hear you and your friends are alright, but it's terrible that it happened. :/ Why are people going insane?
    meh

• Rispok said:
    We totally didn't have our shit together. Maybe another week! Or maybe @Cinya just had lunch without me. As I've mentioned elsewhere I'm leaving the country fairly soon, but when I get back (late July) I'd love to meet up with anyone who'd like to do so.

Nah, she was with the boyfriend and work. We did meet up on Sunday at Venice Beach, though. Gorgeous area. I didn't know there was a meet being planned and hadn't checked the forums, otherwise I would have said something. I don't think she knew either. It would've been fun, but I only had a week in the area, so I'm out.

At any rate, I'm glad you all are safe. I heard about the shootings a few hours ago. Unbelievable.

(Party): Mizik says, "This can't possibly go wrong."
  • Eh, I considered trying to put something together, but then people couldn't go and other people's availability didn't line up, etc etc. I would be down for some weekend in August. 

Also @Rispok, that's crazy. My office is down the street from the school and we were on hardcore security crackdown, but I can't imagine having been on campus. Glad you're okay! 
    Mathonwy said:
    dactylic hexameter is
  • EiredhelEiredhel California
    I would say yes for August, but I know I'd be fooling myself. All my free time will be spent on FFXIV: ARR since I want to be the highest ranked female for at least a month. >.>

Meow, meow, etc. 
    Eiredhel's Family Tree