Quests, and how to find them

edited September 2012 in North of Thera
It is often said that one can make it in Achaea without spending real money. Well, I lack the necessary survival lessons to make fishing profitable, definitely lack the lessons to ever think about deep sea fishing, and lack the levels/artifacts to make bashing profitable (though I am working on this). Judging from most discussions, it would seem like the best approach would be quests.

However, I have no idea how to make questing profitable and, more importantly, how to go about learning. So I'm curious: what is the best way to actually learn where good quests are and how to find them? What are some of the was people have used to do so?

Comments

• SherazadSherazad Planef Urth
    I used to just explore, talk to denizens to check out their stories and if you say something related to their problems, they will tell you what they need help with. Also, if you ask me in game even through messages, I'd point out something very useful from our house. ;) 
    Bleh, work ate my gaming life.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

• edited September 2012
    Not allowed to talk about fight* club.
    *quest
    It's sort of against the rules to offer quest help.

Easiest way to discover quests is to spam greet a denizen until they say something then say one of the keywords they mention. Or just try talking about something interesting you found in the area.

Also go through HELP BASE COMMANDS and do those on out-of-place or interesting items.
  • Sena said:
    *If you're not too lazy, you should try to say things that actually make sense. For example, instead of simply saying "Quest.", say something like "Do you have any quests for me?" or "Is there anything I can help with?". This doesn't actually matter much, I just find it a bit annoying and OOC when people say random words in an obvious attempt to trigger a quest.
    I am utterly lazy, but at the same time all that single-wordedness annoys me to, so I made me an alias that lets me type "inq <whatever>" (for "inquire") and it says a nice full sentence like "Could you tell me about <whatever>?" or "I'd like to know more about <whatever>". Still not as optimal as asking real questions, but at least it produces a relatively normal form of communication.
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    So all that time we were RPing, I was basically talking to an Achaean Jabberwacky? D:

If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• What is RP.
  • Never stop learning! Even when you find some comfy place to sit back and constantly reap your quest monies, always be pressing yourself to find more/better places. It's possible you have found the best place for yourself at your skill level, but people will no doubt take your quest monies all the time, so you should always have backups. Worst thing that happens to me at least whenever I try and get some goal accomplished is I get derailed because something is bashed out or something, and I'm not entirely sure how to adjust my routine and then I waste time and nothing gets done.
  • Jurixe said:
    So all that time we were RPing, I was basically talking to an Achaean Jabberwacky? D:

Sometimes I also just pay a dozen children from third world countries to turn my typed streams of lols and wtfs into credible RP.
  • SherazadSherazad Planef Urth
    Iocun said:
    Jurixe said:

Sometimes I also just pay a dozen children from third world countries to turn my typed streams of lols and wtfs into credible RP.
    I'd like to thank you for funding my studies, Iocun.
    Bleh, work ate my gaming life.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

• Iocun said:
    Sena said:
    *If you're not too lazy, you should try to say things that actually make sense. For example, instead of simply saying "Quest.", say something like "Do you have any quests for me?" or "Is there anything I can help with?". This doesn't actually matter much, I just find it a bit annoying and OOC when people say random words in an obvious attempt to trigger a quest.
    I am utterly lazy, but at the same time all that single-wordedness annoys me to, so I made me an alias that lets me type "inq <whatever>" (for "inquire") and it says a nice full sentence like "Could you tell me about <whatever>?" or "I'd like to know more about <whatever>". Still not as optimal as asking real questions, but at least it produces a relatively normal form of communication.
    Gods really don't like people just saying "quest" either. Percival threatened to kick me out of his tavern for it. :(
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena

ASK <denizen> QUEST.

Ta da.

• Lol dude shut up, they'll figure out that doesn't make you say anything aloud and then we'll have nothing to laugh at.
  • Alyssea said:
    Iocun said:
    Sena said:
    Gods really don't like people just saying "quest" either. Percival threatened to kick me out of his tavern for it. :(
    That could be because you are using say to denizen quest or something of the likes. Everytime a person interacts with a denizen, Gods see it. It is what allows for spontaneous roleplay with denizens. Some news post a while back about it. Ask Sena for additional info.

• Right, you shouldn't use SAY TO <denizen> for quests, just SAY <whatever> while in the room with the denizen.
    Krypton said:
    ASK <denizen> QUEST.
    Ta da.
    Does that work in general now, or only for certain denizens/quests? I've tried it a few times, unsuccessfully.
  • The announce post about this is 1337. Ask won't usually work, since that's handled separately/in an entirely different way from text spoken in the room.
  • I haven't used SAY TO <denizen> when asking about quests, only SAY. Spontaneous roleplay with denizens apparently does occur from just going around doing "say quest," "say <name of relevant nearby denizen>," etc. too.

ASK <denizen> QUEST only works for certain things, but it goes both ways. Some things don't respond do "say <whatever>" but do respond to "ask <denizen> <whatever>."
  • Hm, I suspect my answer there could've been a bit more helpful than it was. Normally, if you're going to need to use ASK instead of simply saying a key word, there'll be some indication. The denizen should give you some sort of prompt. If you say dwarves around Jerh'mias, he'll reply: "If you want to know more about the history of the dwarves, just ask."

The reason for this is that once you do ASK JERH'MIAS DWARVES, you're going to get a huge long story about the creation of the dwarves that you really don't want to hear a hundred times a day as random passers-by just happen to say the word. Splitting "What do I do if I hear dwarves?" and "What do I do if someone asks me about dwarves?" up lets us control the situation and save everyone's sanity. A few quests will work this way too, where you're fed some history or a story, but there will be some sort of indication to guide you in the ASK direction if necessary.

Regarding spontaneous denizen interaction: it's never a guarantee, but if you use SAY TO most of the garden will hear it. Sometimes using say is enough, if you're talking to a denizen that a particular volunteer happens to be listening to already, but say to is the best way of insuring you get heard.

• I would love love love if every NPC with a quest responded to the phrase "quest", and to being greeted. Most do. That's great. But it's been a bit un-fun wandering around Meropis and playing guess-the-syntax with some of the local mobs. If they don't respond to "quest", I say a few random words related to the area, and if that doesn't work I end up giving items I find to random NPCs in the area. But not every NPC returns items they don't want, so I often end up abandoning the area in frustration.