Simplified PK Discussion

Comments

• One thing I will say in response to @Melodie's otherwise reasonable points above is that while the majority of people wouldn't get ganked outside of cities if they're careful/casual about their PK involvement, Veldrin certainly would, mostly because of the prolonged OOC frustration of players who've opposed his playstyle for years.

But I think this thread has been dedicated to Veldrin vs. PK for quite long enough.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    @Silas, fair enough point.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Veldrin said:

@Nadiel Shallam would do just fine without Evil, Darkness and Chaos, in fact the teachings state that the ideals Shallam stand for would be standing even without the opposite to 'define it'. They are Eternal and are not defined by their opposites, if anything the opposites are defined as by going against the teachings. Shallamese are supposed to be upholding Good, Light and Creation because it's the natural order of things, not because it's 'right'.
    See, here's the problem: Achaea is a huge interactive story(book), set in a magical fantasy genre. The underlying Good vs Evil vs Nature vs Chaos vs Darkness vs Mudsex is an ongoing tale, where legends grow and die. Now, the ending is ever-uncertain. Perhaps Good will win and usher in a utopia of growth and Creation. Perhaps Evil will turn the continent into a dystopia of eternal suffering. Perhaps Chaos will eventually sink the world into a huge mass of nothingness. In fact, players in factions like these work with the mindset that their ideology will triumph over all, and that's perfectly fine, as it is a very IC mindset. Hell, my character will even accept that your idea of 'in the end, Creation will persist with the fall of the opposing ideologies'. And these mindsets should naturally foster conflict. That is the atmosphere of a fantasy epic. You can't have a fantasy epic about the daily lives of Old John Synbios as he embarks on a quest to pull out the weeds growing in his farm(note, I said fantasy epic, not slice-of-life. You can have a cool story of weed-killing, but it's not the type of story that would qualify for this genre).

The problem with your arguments, as far as I can perceive at least, is that you are already skipping to the ending by taking that IC ideology and trying to enforce it in an OOC sense. From what I can interpret about your comments, it's like opening the book and being promised that there would be fantastic depictions of the struggle between Good and Evil, only to find out "Oh nonononononono, we can't have fighting here. The heroes would be extremely inconvenienced with that. Here's a wonderful story of everyday life in a victorious Shallam, yep, no fighting, all 500,000 pages of peace." 

tl;dr: I, for one, welcome our simplified PK rule overlords, and I am confident that the current generation of these "PvP asshats"(hm, given that I do enjoy a healthy desire to fight others within reasonable bounds, would that classify me as a PvP asshat, then?) will exercise a reasonable amount of restraint. I am also confident that the admins will be able to sort out those trying to circumvent these rules.

tl:dr for the tl;dr: My body is ready.

• Synbios said:

I am confident that the current generation of these "PvP asshats" will exercise a reasonable amount of restraint. I am also confident that the admins will be able to sort out those trying to circumvent these rules.
    Quick note, but that's the crux of the disagreement. Veldrin has no confidence in either of these from years of exposure to what he considers unacceptable levels of forced participation. I'm not going to bother advocating for either side, since my own stance is well-known, but Simplified PK is going in either way and time will tell who was right.

• Just because Veldrin considers it unreasonable and forced  participation does not mean it is either unreasonable or forced participation. If I decide that Tanris is a 12 year old girl (he is), that doesn't actually change reality and make him a 12 year old girl (even though he is).

In Achaea you have lots of choices. One of Veldrin's biggest choices as a character is to be a member of the faction that is pretty much opposed to half of the world/everything and has sworn to fight and protect everything. If he didn't like PvP, he should have made the choice that the rest of the people who don't like PvP but still want to be able to roleplay on the 'Good' side, and joined Cyrene. 

Instead, he's purposely stayed in a city where he doesn't fit in, bitches every single time there is a fight, gets so mad on OOC channels that he threatens to kill himself/quit playing forever/threatens people irl/etc. Then he comes to the forums and says how 'most people' or 'many people' hate the PvP aspect of Achaea, that PvP should be gotten rid of, anyone that fights is a griefer/asshole/kills kittens irl, deserves to actually die in a fire, etc.

That all could have gone away with the (correct) choice of being a citizen of Cyrene and staying away from PvP, which is 100% possible. I have no sympathy for Veldrin and never will because he makes the choice to PvP.

• I thought it already went in. Good thing I didn't start using it yet!

• @Veldrin's complaint, its like trying to play BF3 and getting pissed when the other team kills you. Why the hell are you playing a game that literally requires player/team/PvP interaction then getting pissed when it HAPPENS?

I for one, am glad to see the SPK going world-wide even though I'm trying to stay away from anything IRE, this PK lawyer (lolyer) less move is a good one for the atmopshere of Achaea.
  • Veldrin said:
    And the fact that I, the player, is against PvP stuff because I find it more repulsive and moronic than anything else that's ever been thought up by mankind.
    Is this a recent change? Cause I seem to remember you having no trouble one-shotting Tenebrus in and out of Shallam on a regular basis back when firelash was broken.
  • Veldrin and Tenebrus had a sort of rivalry going. And everyone and anything could oneshot Tenebrus. He provoked people through theft, then let them have their vengeance. 

I miss Tenebrus :(
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    And believe me, the ex-Lord of the Spire knows all about makeshift and other strange weapons.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • You know it.
  • This page is quality stuff, and I don't have to be sarcastic when saying that for once.
  • Someone should copy/paste the Announce for me...Just sayin.
  • Yes, First Comment badge! 

• ANNOUNCE NEWS #3700
    Date: 9/5/2012 at 3:40
    To  : Everyone
    Subj: PK Rules

After an extended trial, we're pleased to announce the upcoming release
    of our simplified PK rules!

Starting this coming Monday at 00:00GMT (8pm Sunday EST/5pm Sunday PST),
    we'll be dumping the ridiculously long compendium of rules and replacing
    it with a streamlined set of guidelines. Now you no longer need worry
    about balancing an appropriate in-character response to conflict with
    whether or not you'd be violating "chapter 5, section A, subsection 2B."

Of course, this does not grant you license to go around killing anyone
    and everyone. If you're planning on trying this, we hope you enjoy
    rustling in the wind as a leafy green shrubbery! The spirit of the
    guidelines is this: don't be a jerk. Those who do not respect the spirit
    of the guidelines can expect severe consequences.

So without further ado, we invite you to look through HELP SIMPLIFIED
    PK!

Should you have any questions, comments, or concerns, we've set up a
    dedicated forums thread:

Penned by My hand on the 1st of Valnuary, in the year 605 AF.
  • @Orklanishkal I clicked the link but nothing seems to be happening?
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • edited September 2012
    The link directs to this page @Sylvance
  • So, folks, how has simplified PK been treatin' y'all?
  • Barely noticed a difference.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Simplified PK has been interesting. It actually allowed Mel to get attacked, in which she -fought back- (with @Aerek, since he brought friends), and upon her death, she hired a city champion, who slew the main person in a duel (left the assisting friends be, this time), and all was well.

So far, so good. :)
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • I for one am thoroughly enjoying the impotent rage of people who used to play Achaea as though issues were the greatest IC armour and weapons.

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    edited November 2012
    I got told that it was illegal to kill AFk people today. It is against the laws of the land :(

I killed eeveryone anyway

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Mishgul said:
    I got told that it was illegal to kill AFk people today. It is against the laws of the land :(

I killed eeveryone anyway

Who told you that, @Mishgul?
  • It's only illegal on the roads, so I heard.

• Man, Silas would've had us all shrubbed months ago if that was the case D: