Artefact alternatives II

This was brought up previously by Silas - http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/140/artefact-alternatives - then closed, and not listed, on the grounds that "a rework of the artifact system is already on the cards". Tecton has stated that the in-game upgrade and customisation system WAS that rework of the artefact system (despite previous comments), and that didn't address this at all. Can we take a second look at this, please?

There are a few suggestions in the linked thread, and I have some of my own which I'll mention below. Hopefully other people will have suggestions they'd like to see as well.

Vestments of the Magi in place of Robes of the Magi, though you could also do most (if not all) of the clothing types sold in the "Robes and dresses" bin in The Tailors Union Headquarters.

Boots of Dashing. There are no good boot artefacts currently - dexterity is nowhere near worth the price, and the buckawn's amulet doesn't have the downsides that the boots do - and anklets are pretty meh.

Various instrument options for the Lasallian Lyre. I'm not sure exactly what the options for Bards are, but they'd probably be good choices.

Comments

• Yes to a Lasallian Trombone.

• Iocun said:
    Yes to a Lasallian Trombone.

Vuvuzela, triangle or kazoo.
  • Vibraslap, please. 

• Being South African, I should really get a Lasallian Vuvuzela. When I use it, the noise makes you want to kill me even more. As an extra effect, using it should drown out channel comms.

• Big want for artefact alternatives. I was asking via issue if I could have like a "dress of the Magi" instead of robes. There's so many artefacts I desire to get that I simply won't because I don't intend to wear robes, or boots, and I already have 3 amulets on, more? No thanks. It seems like something that'd be nice, even if there was like a 50cr cost to change the type, I'd be willing to do it.
    -
    (Whiners Anonymous): Alcaro says, "If I overdose on anything, though, it'll be a lack of anything."
    (Whiners Anonymous): Alcaro says, "Isn't Morimbuul that Arab that was banished to beneath Mhaldor or something."
  • @Cesarina: I e-mailed customisations earlier today about the price of changing item types. I'm still waiting to hear back but the figure I've heard people quote in the past is 500 credits, but that was for artefact bows; it might be less for other items.
  • Almost /disagreed/ because of how high that was. Cmon IRE gimme my dress of the Magi and my adorable rectangle-rimmed glasses of the sphinx D:
    -
    (Whiners Anonymous): Alcaro says, "If I overdose on anything, though, it'll be a lack of anything."
    (Whiners Anonymous): Alcaro says, "Isn't Morimbuul that Arab that was banished to beneath Mhaldor or something."
  • edited May 2013
    Arador said:
    Being South African, I should really get a Lasallian Vuvuzela. When I use it, the noise makes you want to kill me even more. As an extra effect, using it should drown out channel comms.

A noise that makes people want to kill you... Someone will inevitably suggest bagpipes. I don't even want to read someone playing bagpipes. :/
    "Under all that we think, lives all that we believe, like the ultimate veil of our spirits." --Antonio Machado
    "The belief that becomes truth for me is that which allows me the best use of my strength, the best means of putting my virtues into action." --Andre Gide
    "It is not enough to have a good mind; the main thing is to use it well."  --Rene Descartes
  • I'm curious, @Sena, @Eld: Are you disagreeing because you disagree with Keres not wanting to see someone playing bagpipes, or are you disagreeing with bagpipes being implemented altogether??

• @Sena: I like you already for saying that.

• EldEld
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, what @Berenene and @Sena said. The only problem I see with reading people playing bagpipes is that I wouldn't actually be hearing them.
  • @Cesarina (and anybody else interested): I got a response from customisations last night, this is the relevant part:

"In some instances, a new, custom artefact can be created that duplicates the functionality of an existing one. The cost for this kind of thing varies; it begins at a base of 500 credits due to the custom work required by our team, but the cost can be much more depending what is needed. If you're still interested in this, please contact artefacts@achaea.com with the specific artefact(s) you're considering, and they can give you a quote."
  • edited May 2013
    Antonius said:
    @Cesarina (and anybody else interested): I got a response from customisations last night, this is the relevant part:

"In some instances, a new, custom artefact can be created that duplicates the functionality of an existing one. The cost for this kind of thing varies; it begins at a base of 500 credits due to the custom work required by our team, but the cost can be much more depending what is needed. If you're still interested in this, please contact artefacts@achaea.com with the specific artefact(s) you're considering, and they can give you a quote."
    Liked for response not for content >.< I hope they can do that process AFTERWARDS, like if I already have something they can make it something else... Because I can't just shell out 500cr to make robes a dress or something before even having essential stuff.

edit: How do I punctuation?
    -
  • I've sent an e-mail to artefacts@achaea.com with some follow up questions, one of which was how having the original artefact changes the process and the cost (I already own an anklet of dashing, but I hate the item type and I can't find a decent way to customise it to make it less awful). I'm wondering if it's worth starting a new thread about artefact customisations to keep track of any customisation related queries people have and the answers they've gotten for them.
  • edited May 2013
    I won't comment on whether 500cr is a reasonable cost-to-work, because I just have no clue what is required at the back-of-house to change a Lasalian Lyre into a Lasalian Lute. As a consumer, I can say that reading that response made my sphincter contract. I mean, that's, what?, Trans Survival with change left over for a serious start towards your crit pendant.

It's sad, because the feeling that there's a Taiwanese Jaruvian child-labour factory churning out mass-produced items of power is not-quite-jarring, but unfortunate in Achaea. It's the same as that WoW experience of seeing 50 Paladins charge the Horde front lines in identical armour, toting identical swords, because they're t3h b3st 4pwning n00bs.

Customisation has always been Achaea's greatest draw for me, with the closest second so far away that it might as well not exist. There's already so much to customise that this post isn't a rant, merely observation, but doing something, anything to bring down that lubeless 500cr minimum price tag would be very well received, and I'm pretty sure would increase the money coming in.

ETA: lrn2grammar, @Sylvance
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • edited May 2013
    Keres said:
    Arador said:
    Being South African, I should really get a Lasallian Vuvuzela. When I use it, the noise makes you want to kill me even more. As an extra effect, using it should drown out channel comms.

A noise that makes people want to kill you... Someone will inevitably suggest bagpipes. I don't even want to read someone playing bagpipes. :/

Reply: What is wrong about the sound of a cat being deflated?

• where is the custom deathsight this time? :<

I missed the last auction and now... there isn't one! 

• I'm going to go ahead and say that it would be awesome if we could just purchase artifact powers unto an item directly in Delos:

BUY ARTIFACT POWER (power) FOR (artifact) LEVEL (level)

Example: BUY ARTIFACT POWER ASP FOR RAPIER
    Example: BUY ARTIFACT POWER MAGIC_POTENCE FOR ROBE LEVEL 3

• Tecton said they considered that when doing the customisation system but that the effort involved didn't match the gain from it. So while I agree that it would be awesome not likely to happen any time soon I imagine.
  • It is well worth the effort. They use this system in other IRE mud and it is just awesome and convenient and awesome. Alternatively, copypaste attire for us. Please. O my god I would love you forever, Tecton.

I really don't like the idea of wearing all these random and very odd artifact items/enchantments as it clutters my item list and makes me look like a bit like clown.
  • KatzchenKatzchen Mhaldor
    edited May 2013
    Concealed items... please. Ugh, way too much stuff to wear with arties, accessories, containers, etc.

The wearing things different ways would be awesome too, but concealing crap would be better.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• Katzchen said:
    Concealed items... please. Ugh, way too much stuff to wear with arties, accessories, containers, etc.

The wearing things different ways would be awesome too, but concealing crap would be better.

You could go Emperor of the New Clothes and conceal everything, and say "Only smart people can see my arties."

• KatzchenKatzchen Mhaldor
    Synbios said:
    Katzchen said:

You could go Emperor of the New Clothes and conceal everything, and say "Only smart people can see my arties."
    Yeah actually... now I'm imagining that sexalt going "I AM WEARING  A SHIRT. You just can't see it, hmph."

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• Katzchen said:
    Synbios said:
    Katzchen said:

Yeah actually... now I'm imagining that sexalt going "I AM WEARING  A SHIRT. You just can't see it, hmph."
    Or just as hilariously, a fully-artied person concealing everything. Only for a novice to point out: "Mom! That soldier looks like a sexalt!" "Shhh!"

• "I understand the inventor of the bagpipes was inspired when he saw a man carrying an indignant, asthmatic pig under his arm. Unfortunately, the man-made object never equaled the purity of sound achieved by the pig." - Alfred Hitchcock

"A gentleman is one who knows how to play the bagpipes, but doesn't." -Mark Twain(?)

You know how you can tell if a bagpipe is out of tune? Someone is blowing into it.
    "Under all that we think, lives all that we believe, like the ultimate veil of our spirits." --Antonio Machado
    "The belief that becomes truth for me is that which allows me the best use of my strength, the best means of putting my virtues into action." --Andre Gide
    "It is not enough to have a good mind; the main thing is to use it well."  --Rene Descartes
  • I once put on a cloak in Aetolia and became super, duper, uber man.
  • Katzchen said:

Might not happen because they are specifically selling the orb of suppression for that.
  • Iocun said:
    Katzchen said:

Might not happen because they are specifically selling the orb of suppression for that.
    Orb of suppression would still have a use though, hiding your artefacts from things like appraise and hiding the wear/remove messages.