For those who appreciate art...

So, I've been thinking...

Lilley is an artist... she likes to paint, sketch, sculpt, the works. Well, since we can create food, clothes, 'jewellery'... why can't we create art? I would certainly like to decorate Lilley's plot structure with some artsy things, and make it look GRAND. :D

Basics
200 credits for an artist's license, send out your examples to the crafting guild, whether it be a sculpture, a painting, or any other form of art! (Note: sculptures and statues are not the same thing. A sculpture would bear the mark of the person who made it)

How would they appear in a room? 
Since they are works of art, they should have special ways to be displayed in a room, right?

For the drawings, you can HANG or PLACE a painting/picture (on the wall by default), and PULL it off of the wall (provided there isn't a sigil attached to it of course). Dropping it is not the same as placing it. 
Perhaps there will be frames for sale in the Delosian Crafter's Union? With a picture frame you can actually HANG it on the wall.
For the sculptures, perhaps in the shop in Delos you can sell BASES. For instance, "a stone base" or "an empty sculpture base" or something like that, then you can DROP the base wherever you want, and the base cannot be moved (but it can be destroyed, say... with a sigil, like everything else that is crafted). Then, you ATTACH the sculpture to the base, and the sculpture stays there permanently until it decays. It cannot be moved by picking it up, pulling it, pushing it, or any of that. Without a base, the sculpture just sits there and can be picked up.

Format for the sketch
Of course this would mean a new format for "a blank artist's sketch" or whatever:
"Item type, components, appearance, dropped, PLACED, examined"

Here are some ideas I had for this:
1) Paintings
There are many things to choose from. For paintings, you can buy "a schematic for a simple painting" which would have your general painting information: type would be painting, "a simple painting," a simple painting is here, etc. since it is a simple painting, the components required would be 1 of each INK (gold ink, red ink, so on and so forth), and CLOTH as the canvas with the amount of cloth depending on the size. If you want to paint a more extravagant and detailed painting, you would instead buy "a schematic for a detailed painting" and for this  you would need 5 (or more) of each ink, and CLOTH (the number of cloth comms depends on the size as well). No metals or gems can be used to create the entire thing, because it is a painting.

2) Pictures:
Pictures are not paintings, they are PICTURES made from different materials, such as furs, metals, or even gems. There are two options to choose from, here: "a schematic for a simple picture" would imply that it is made solely from soft material, such as cloth or fur or something, and made into something with or without form (it could be a rajamala made with real fur and some other soft materials as the background, or a mass of many coloured cloths made into something nice). It is simple because it does not require gems, or metals. Now, the other option to choose from would be "a schematic for an intricate picture" which would imply that it takes more time and effort... this is because the "intricate" ones are pictures made from metal. Basically, you create the picture in some type of metal. If you want your picture to be made purely with gems, you STILL need to get this kind of picture because the gems set better in the metal. The amount of metals and gems depends on the picture, of course, and just as the amount of gems and metals is specified for you when you send in a jewellery schematic, it will be for this as well!

3) Sculptures:
Sculptures are a bit more detailed. I still haven't figured this part out completely, but there are two options here: either you can choose from a number of sculpturing materials (such as "a schematic for a gold sculpture," or "a schematic for a bone sculpture," "a schematic for a gem sculpture," and any other type of commodity/metal/etc.) OR you choose "a schematic for a simple/medium/extravagant sculpture". Simple would be made of stones and bones, medium would be made of metals, and extravagant would be made of gems. Really, the latter doesn't have to be exactly how I put it... the label of simple/medium/extravagant can be decided upon by the complexity of the sculpture. I'm trying to think of the easiest way to do it, for the person who actually reads all this crap and passes it through or not. Heh.

Other stuff

Also, to be able to craft these things, a painting would require "an artist's paintbrush" and a sculpture would require "an artist's chisel" and the picture would require both, or one or the other. Bahah. I don't know, something like that.

This sounds a bit complicated, but it really isn't! It's 1 a.m. for me and I am sick, so I am probably delirious, but I still wanted to try! I would LOVE to be able to do this stuff... some of you may agree with me, some of you may not. But hey... if the denizens can do it, with only so little of an amount of things to choose from because it is THEIR OWN work and inspiration, why can't the players?! We have inspiration, too! It would be so awesome to really be able to title Lilley as an "artist" and sell her work.

I'd like to know what you guys think, and if you have any suggestions. Be easy on me, though. I don't want my whole idea going into the dirt. :P

Comments

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    I don't know, in a way, it makes sense to have something like this, but I also quite like it that someone can be an artist without having to spend 200 credits.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• I think there's a clan or something that can make actual canvases and painting via Scarlatti? I remember Arahan used to do those all the time and you'd get roaming exhibits of said canvasses that he'd created. I'd love this idea too!

I have Wyst carving things all the time out of wood for bookplates (this would be awesome if Wyst could sell bookplates that can mounted into journals and manuscripts) or just general wood engravings, but it's mostly snowflake RP or gets added into a room description.

Right now the closest thing to at least sculpting is in jewellery. I've been working on a series of rings and pendants with various animals and stuff that's been engraved, but it's still not the same when you think about it. That and no shop license to sell them to make any gold out of it >:
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

• Wysteria said:
    I think there's a clan or something that can make actual canvases and painting via Scarlatti? I remember Arahan used to do those all the time and you'd get roaming exhibits of said canvasses that he'd created. I'd love this idea too!

I have Wyst carving things all the time out of wood for bookplates (this would be awesome if Wyst could sell bookplates that can mounted into journals and manuscripts) or just general wood engravings, but it's mostly snowflake RP or gets added into a room description.

Right now the closest thing to at least sculpting is in jewellery. I've been working on a series of rings and pendants with various animals and stuff that's been engraved, but it's still not the same when you think about it. That and no shop license to sell them to make any gold out of it >:
    That would be Scarlatti's Commune/preOrder. Oddly, sculptures don't seem to come under our purview but we have canvases that can be turned to sketches, paintings and drawings. Order members also get lightweavings which are like sculptures except they're fashioned from light. 
  • Kaden said:
    Order members also get lightweavings which are like sculptures except they're fashioned from light. 
    This was the first thing that popped into my head:

That said, I'm completely fine with paintings remaining primarily the domain of Scarlatti's Order.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • I remember those lightweavings, we had some in Eleusis for a while (I think of a giant ash tree among other things). They were pretty excellent to have for that half year.

• edited May 2013
    @Shirszae The same could be said about being a tailor. I'd rather have the option and pay 200 credits then not have the option at all.

@Wysteria Well, you don't -need- a shop to sell your things! :)

Also, it seems a bit unfair that only members of Scarlatti's Order can create  paintings. Why? Because anyone should be able to have a chance at expressing their creativity and imagination. I have a feeling he might agree with me!

At this moment, the only way that -I- can think of to create -customised- "paintings" on achaea would be getting a blank canvas from... is it Zanzibaar? Then you spend 50 credits on changing it's name to "a painting of Hashan on a canvas" since it has to have canvas in the name because it is called a canvas, then 50 more credits to describe it. That seems a bit... extensive.

(edit) Expressing your creativity and imagination is not something that should be give freely to some and kept from others. The Order can still keep their special art things, but it seems fair to let everyone else do it, as well.

Perhaps @Scarlatti could be the one to view and check over all of the creations? :D
  • It would only be 50 credits to change the "name" (I assume you mean what you'd see on II, IH, etc), the full description (LOOK/PROBE) and the dropped description (what it looks like when LOOKing in a room), but it's still a valid point.
  • Lilley said:
    Also, it seems a bit unfair that only members of Scarlatti's Order can create  paintings. Why? Because anyone should be able to have a chance at expressing their creativity and imagination. I have a feeling he might agree with me!
    Similar arugments could be made for many, many things that are unique to certain organizations. We play a game that presents more chances to express creativity than any player will ever use. This one is unique to their Order at the moment, and is something very special and extremely fitting. I like that.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Lilley said:
    @Shirszae The same could be said about being a tailor. I'd rather have the option and pay 200 credits then not have the option at all.

@Wysteria Well, you don't -need- a shop to sell your things! :)

At this moment, the only way that -I- can think of to create -customised- "paintings" on achaea would be getting a blank canvas from... is it Zanzibaar? Then you spend 50 credits on changing it's name to "a painting of Hashan on a canvas" since it has to have canvas in the name because it is called a canvas, then 50 more credits to describe it. That seems a bit... extensive.

(edit) Expressing your creativity and imagination is not something that should be give freely to some and kept from others. The Order can still keep their special art things, but it seems fair to let everyone else do it, as well.

Perhaps @Scarlatti could be the one to view and check over all of the creations? :D
    There's a denizen that drops a roll of canvas if you kill her in Nimick, but I don't think it's the same :-\"

• edited May 2013
    Trevize said:
    Lilley said:
    Similar arugments could be made for many, many things that are unique to certain organizations. We play a game that presents more chances to express creativity than any player will ever use. This one is unique to their Order at the moment, and is something very special and extremely fitting. I like that.
    That is very true, and I appreciate your input. :)

I still wish we could have something like this... without having to betray the Divine that our characters currently serve, and pledge allegiance to another. It would be so cool.
  • If you want a painting or something of the sort, wouldn't commissioning the Commune be an option?

• Sure, if you just want a painting that's an option. If you want to roleplay an artist, and actually create art, then commissioning somebody else doesn't really work.
  • >_> We do allow commune members to make paintings. There are just some restrictions since it's an Order item. 
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    This doesn't apply to painting pictures, but pretty much everything else mentioned in this thread:

The List - Part II
          5. Woodworkng/Leatherworking/Sculpting/Drink making miniskills.

Am I the only one that checks the list? I've posted this exact bit twice now. D:
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Aw, man. I'm sad that more people wouldn't be interested in this. I still think that creative expression, in the ways that I have pointed out, shouldn't be limited to a certain number of people. I'm sure that the paintings created by those of Scarlatti's Order are special in other ways, other than being the only player-created paintings in the game. I don't know, though.
  • LiancaLianca Fire and Spice
    I have a few player-made paintings in my little text house, only one is from the Scarlattan's. The most recent addition is a customisation of a Caer Witrin painting, I redid the short, dropped, examined, and was even able to tweak the readable plaque.
    The sweltering heat of the forge spills out across the land as the rumbling voice of Phaestus booms, "I want you to know, the Garden reaction to that one is: What?"
    The voice of Melantha, Goddess of the Seasons, echoes amid the rustle of leaves, "That's the censored version."
  • See, I would do that, but after a while I imagine it gets expensive, you know? Not only that, but if Lilley or anyone else wanted to make a living out of selling the paintings, it wouldn't be very worth it, especially if anyone else can just customise paintings for themselves. It looks like I'm going to end up just doing what you said. :P