Problems with lag and odd code

I really have no idea what's wrong. The problem started a short while after I got on today (first time back in a while). It goes away for a short while if I refresh the page, but it keeps coming back. Here's a pic of what it looks like:

(There is at least a 20 second pause between each of my prompts, and it usually took quite a bit before anything appeared after them.)

Also, for more info... I use internet explorer and the flash client

Comments

• edited May 2013
    You mentioned 'odd code' in the title, may want to post the code itself. Or start from scratch by disabling your scripts or triggers.
  • I could be wrong, but I believe the "odd code" Araea is referring to is the GMCP returns visible in her main display.

Serious problem, but unlikely (again, I could be wrong) to get much support for it as Achaea's main development efforts seem to be around their HTML5 client, located at client.achaea.com

If your computer supports it, I would highly recommend the switch, or to try out a client like Mudlet (http://www.forums.mudlet.org)
  • You spammed too much and broke Achaea's "box" that holds text that should be sent to you. Reconnecting will fix it.

This can happen on any client, I should mention, and is a problem with the Achaea game itself when you spam it too much.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Araea said:

I use internet explorer and the flash client

Now I may be wrong, but the first step might be to get a real browser.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Vadimuses said:
    You spammed too much and broke Achaea's "box" that holds text that should be sent to you. Reconnecting will fix it.

This can happen on any client, I should mention, and is a problem with the Achaea game itself when you spam it too much.

Most likely (it used to be possible to get this problem on dialup, from the symptoms I assumed that Achaea had a fixed-size output buffer per connection which you could overflow).

Alternative: some clients can have problems if a packet breaks in an unexpected location (most obviously control chunks like ANSI color, MXP, GCMP, ... but sometimes prompts).  This is usually only a problem if you're sending commands which generate lots of output quickly.

Things that might have an influence: speed of your connection, ping time to Achaea, whether you or someone else on the connection is doing something high-bandwidth like watching a movie, etc.

• Hmmm, different clients do seem to handle this differently. I can reproduce the overflow in the Flash client in IE, but using the same test, can not seem to make it do that in Mudlet.
  • Sorry for taking so long to get back to this (actually forgot I posted it, as I didn't have the problem again for a while).

I did just have it again though- it seems it starts when I give wood to Hectan in Hashan (as shown in the screenshot).

As for browsers, I tried switching to firefox, and the problem does not appear there. Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions!