Player created tattoos

I've been thinking about this idea quite a lot, though I'm not sure what to call it other than 'tattooing".

The idea is to put a player-created tattoo into the current NDS set-up. The tattoo artist would submit a tattoo flash to the crafter's guild, get it approved and then be able to artistically tattoo that design upon another player, which would then show up in the player's wearable line.

Currently tattoos are played via descriptions, though some Divine (Hermes Ace of Spades tattoos for his order, the same with Artemis) and Zanzibaar's henna tattoos have the wearable tattoos that I'm basing this idea off of.

Comments

• TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    Yes, yes. Please. Would love a way to display tattoos without needing to include it in your description. 

• I like it. I suppose this would be a new miniskill requiring a license. Be nice if Tsol' got a bonus to make up for that dumb swinging trait.
    The Lotus has been wanting to have tattoos for a while now, but we kept hearing back that it was for Orders only and that's unacceptable.
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    I once put a proposal in for something like this, except not as an NDS pattern but rather, as things sold by a denizen for some Maritime stuff. The idea got defenestrated through the window and bashed against the wall repeatedly.

Doubt this will be possible, but it would certainly be cool.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Lusternia has a pretty nifty Tattoos skillset that actually does stuff. This just seems similar to something like what Warpaint does.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• EllodinEllodin Hawaii
    I actually was thinking of this just earlier today because of the henna on Zanzibaar.  I'd enjoy it, though I don't know about having it as its own skill.  The henna tattoos have a ten-month decay, perhaps being able to craft impermanent tattoos in similar fashion would be fun.
    And as he slept he dreamed a dream, and this was his dream.
  • I agree with @Tahquil's comment, only I wonder how feasible 'permanent' tattoos are in a world where you can change your eye colour in three seconds. And whilst it would indeed be bad RPz to change eye colour or tattoo out of the clear blue sky, I think that we should also remember that this is a world where 50% of players seem incapable of determining gender, so honestly who's going to notice when the kitty tatt becomes a squirrel in heat?
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Tahquil said:
    Will support if they are permenant and unremoveable. Or else we are going to have people swapping their pink kitty tattoos and pastel unicorns ever second day and maybe people won't have so many frivalous ones ALL OVER THEM.

The application and removal of a tattoo in Lusternia requires a tattoo parlour room, and takes anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes of uninterrupted channeling(sort of like a certain thing runists do to OH WHAT THE HECK, IMPLANTING). Would probably support something of that sort.

• Tahquil said:
    Will support if they are permenant and unremoveable. Or else we are going to have people swapping their pink kitty tattoos and pastel unicorns ever second day and maybe people won't have so many frivalous ones ALL OVER THEM.
    Like piercings? Then again though, a tattoo is a very big decision and will last you for life without corrective laser surgery...unless we introduce temporary water-based tattoos of X-Men on them...I'll stop now.
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

• RuthRuth Singapore
    This is my tattoo proposal, by the way:

Interest in Maritime endeavours have always been lackluster in Sapience, and has always seemed to be a niche in Mhaldor with only a few individuals keeping its naval operations afloat. However, renewed interest seems to have taken root in Mhaldor, and I believe that by supporting this interest with culturally-related or sailing-related tools, the Mariners of Baelgrim will grow to become one of the city's biggest draws/accomplishments. Having spoken with the Tyrannus about my designs for the Maritime ministry, I propose the following:

I would like to re-educate the cook on board Mhaldor's flagship, TLS Inexorable, and teach him to tattoo a few images for aesthetic purposes, in addition to his pre-existing duty of cooking the meals for the ship crew. The main idea of teaching him this ability is so that he may function as an assistant alongside the Maritime Minister and his executive officers (listed in MoB). He will assist in recognizing the accomplishments of Mhaldor's mariners. If teaching him to tattoo is not possible, then it would serve just as well if the cook sells these tattoo designs only to the Maritime Minister and aides to the office.

I don't believe the etched tattoos will last forever; we're using cheap techniques to ink the tattoos anyway (unless it's possible to ensure it sticks, much like warpaint?), but I am hoping that it will last for a good amount of time, until it comes to a point where the tattoo will have to be re-traced.

There are five tattoo designs I am requesting for, each to serve a different purpose.

a red-tipped swallow tattoo bearing the arms of Mhaldor

an ash-gray turtle tattoo

a crossed ballista tattoo featuring a golden escarbuncle

a chafed rope wrist tattoo

a black star tattoo

I look forward to hearing about the potential costs and viability of the tattoo implementations.

------------------------
    As to rejection reasons:

Message #1439       Sent by Xenomorph
    3/20/5:50 237* Tecton 3/20/5:49 Unfortunately we don't do custom tattoos.

Message #1450       Sent by Xenomorph
    3/21/5:50 11* Tecton 3/21/5:49 Right, that's a special non-decay item for the order, it's not
    something we offer as a regular decaying item.

---------------------------------------

For those interested.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• You leave my god damn cook alone!
  • edited May 2013
    Doesn't have to be a non-decay item, like Ruth said: the inks or process used just breaks down after a while, about the same rate as jewelery. Maybe make it so it cannot be removed during that time or if it can, it has to be by a trans tattooer. Here's the thing, people will pay to be tattooers just like tailors pay to make clothing and some people may pay to make their tattoos permanent. This means people will buy credits which supports Achaea. The messages Ruth received have no substance, neither is saying that tattoos are for Orders only because that limits some of the depth people want for their characters, even for simple things like tattoos. If they can be magical, like tattoos we already have, why can't they be more mundane?
  • edited May 2013
    Could be in inkmilling.
    Unwearing the tattoo in any way should destroy it though. We can't have "Xith gives a voluptuous dwarf woman tattoo to you." happening all the time.

EDIT: Also need new wearing locations for tattoos, including the infamous 'lower back' and slightly less trashy 'upper back'. Because the highway just isn't colourful enough yet. Also biceps. I bet @Kresslack wants an anchor or some spinach on there.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Xith said:
    Could be in inkmilling.
    Unwearing the tattoo in any way should destroy it though. We can't have "Xith gives a voluptuous dwarf woman tattoo to you." happening all the time.

EDIT: Also need new wearing locations for tattoos, including the infamous 'lower back' and slightly less trashy 'upper back'. Because the highway just isn't colourful enough yet. Also biceps. I bet @Kresslack wants an anchor or some spinach on there.
    I was thinking of that also. Cheek. Nape. Wrist. Shoulder. Etc.
  • I much prefer a list of a few tattoos than more nds crap, not directed at you @Amunet. Ink milling would be an option for who could access these tattoos, skill rank scaling with options available?
  • A tramp stamp / ho mark / skank flank?

Why yes these are terms we use often around here…
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

• Should work similarly to piercings, albeit non-decay and removable only through an exorbitant gold fee. Requires both tattooer and tattooee to agree, unless the tattooee is at a level of drunk above "Your mother warned you about drinking this much."

• My idea would be to have actual magical tattoos, linked to the Tattoo skill, that would differ per House and could only be inked on self.
  • TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    Still really want to see this implemented, in some fashion or another - would love the ability to put more detail into tattoos without it needing to take up a big portion of description.

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    I would get a tattoo of Taraus walking her bearsharktopus on a leash.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Would get one of Nyboe arena testing ImpaleSlash
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • CardanCardan The Garden
    To quote the classlead - "Something we'll investigate some time in the future."

So it's listed, but not necessarily something that will be looked at soon. 
This discussion has been closed.