Postmasters and bribery

So after the reception of an anonymous letter, I had a (rather whimsical) thought.

What about the creation of some sort of system that allows you to bribe the postmaster of a particular location, and have them reveal the last five people that have sent letters from their (the postmaster's) post office?

Suggesting five as the number to only give a list of possibilities, and not -entirely- defeat the purpose of 'anonymous' mailing.

Not entirely fleshed out, was more interested in overall feedback on the topic than details at this point (details would come later).

Thoughts, opinions?

Comments

• Based on the frequency with which mail is sent, I think they could hurry straight to the post-office that uses crows/gremlins/etc and see the last person, no matter how many you include on the list. Of course if he randomizes the order....

Anonymous letters are fine as is. You'll just have to wonder about that secret admirer forever.

(I did have thoughts for a Forensics system a while back, but it would reach down to levels of the code that it'd probably not be worth implementing. Maybe for a future game.)
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    It can take two minutes for mail to arrive sometimes, if not longer.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    Randomizes or alphabetizes. And Kyrra's right, the letters don't get sent right away. 

• I like the idea of the bribe revealing random details like that. I'm slightly afraid it'd be deemed useless, but I think it could be fun, and I think fun is more important in this case than any sort of hard usability.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    A bribe-type thing would be interesting, so long as no actual names are given, but details of the person, as per Bluji's suggestion

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• I don't see any problem at all with the OP. Ya know why? Because, given the number of post offices and the time delay, the likelihood of you bribing the correct postmaster is pretty slim. Even if you did run to each city and Delos and come back with a list of 30 names, I just don't see that being useful in any way.

Good idea in principle, but...
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Taraus said:
    If you pay attention to what delivers the letter, you'll know which post office to check. Each city has their own thing to carry the mail!
    Ah, very interesting! I didn't know that :D

That being the case, I also think that if a character is Hidden etc. then the clerk shouldn't be able to identify them to the recipient.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • I get mail from people sending them from Mhaldor often enough to know this will just have me going, "Man, not again" and they're completely anonymous too. Bribing could be interesting, but the mechanics would be hard to code in.

Perhaps the only place this could work for would be Delos. If you're enemied to everywhere but someone sends you something from there, you can then maybe find out who tried to send something to you. Might help suss out that it could be an enemy trying to hide that fact given the neutrality of Delos.

Sorry brain is half asleep...I think that made sense?
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

• I'm kind of on the fence here. I've got some really cool anonymous letters recently that seem like they would be wonderful opportunities for RP, but there's really no way for me to follow up with the sender. A mechanic like this could give me some way to interact with the sender, but could also kind of kill the magic of not knowing.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Morro said:
    I'm kind of on the fence here. I've got some really cool anonymous letters recently that seem like they would be wonderful opportunities for RP, but there's really no way for me to follow up with the sender. A mechanic like this could give me some way to interact with the sender, but could also kind of kill the magic of not knowing.
    Or down-right kill the magic of people sending anonymous letters at all.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• - anonymous letters.
  • AmunetAmunet Spokane, Washington, USA
    Frankly, if I get one more anonymous letter containing an insult or a retarded joke, I might send @Mizik after anyone caught standing in a post office. ;)

Seriously, though, least funny prank ever. Pandorans/CIJ really need to get some fresh ideas.
    My avatar is an image created by this very talented gentleman, of whose work I am extremely jealous. It was not originally a picture of Amunet, but it certainly looks a great deal like how I envision her!
  • KyrraKyrra Australia

Amunet said:
    Frankly, if I get one more anonymous letter containing an insult or a retarded joke, I might send @Mizik after anyone caught standing in a post office. ;)

Seriously, though, least funny prank ever. Pandorans/CIJ really need to get some fresh ideas.
    That's kind of incentive to stand in a post office..
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."