Shimmering orbs are annoying.

I think this has been brought up before, but I'll say something again anyways. I get that shimmering orbs block appraise, that makes sense, but do they have to stop you from looking at someone's worn and visible clothing? I don't want to have to ask people to put their orb away every time they're wearing something that catches my eye.

Comments

• Splitting it into two separate enchantments (one to prevent appraise and one to prevent looking at worn item descriptions) is already listed.
  • Oh, I guess I need to look at the list, s'been a while, good to know!

• AmunetAmunet Spokane, Washington, USA
    Considering thieves can no longer target specific items in one's inventory, its utility is already fairly limited. We may as well just get rid of them and give magi something new to enchant.
    My avatar is an image created by this very talented gentleman, of whose work I am extremely jealous. It was not originally a picture of Amunet, but it certainly looks a great deal like how I envision her!
  • edited May 2013
    They still have purposes, ranging from simply "privacy" (i.e. not wanting everyone to know your possessions) to certain combat mechanics (i.e. it's generally useful if your opponent doesn't know your pipe numbers etc.), so I see no need to delete them.

They even still have a purpose for theft defence, since you still have to use hypno to make someone get stuff out of a container.
  • I've never seen any purpose at all in stopping people from seeing your worn/wielded item descriptions though.
  • Nor have I.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    I prefer not having X person commenting on my underwear because they decided to appraise me. I carry an orb for privacy and nothing to do with theft.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Kyrra said:
    I prefer not having X person commenting on my underwear because they decided to appraise me. I carry an orb for privacy and nothing to do with theft.
    Who wears underwear?
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    I do. I have quite a nice appreciation for lingerie which I am happy to share with my character. And it's not an excuse for people to be sleazy jerks when my character wears clothing over said underwear.

And I guess I could just not wear any, but that's hardly fair when it's something that I'd like to enjoy. Orbs prevent creepy peeping.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• edited May 2013
    Should definitely be able to look (person) (worn item) regardless of orb. If you can see that they're wearing it, you should be able to see the description. Make it happen.

• VayneVayne Rhode Island
    edited May 2013
    The shimmering orb is arguably more useful than selfishness now and is in no way obsolete. That said, separate enchants as has been listed would be better, though I do not see any need to hide worn items.
  • You can only 'l person x' for items of clothing you can see when you look at them anyway, so no underwear snooping.

• JiraishinJiraishin skulking
    Actually pretty sure I managed to look at someone's rings while they were wearing gloves.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • Inappropriate.