What are you reading?

So, I am not sure whether a thread like this exists or not already, but I think it is obvious most of us like, or at least are not overly annoyed, by reading. So, I was wondering, what is each of you reading? Any particular book to recommend? Any particular favorite genre?

As for me, I am currently reading Midnight Tides, the fifth book in the series of the Malazan Book of the Fallen, and awesome it is. Epic fantasy at its best.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Recently finished volumes 1-4 of The Book of the New Sun, by Gene Wolfe. Currently reading The Urth of the New Sun.
  • edited April 2013
    Currently in the middle of A Crown of Swords. Just finished reading the 3rd Beka Cooper book, Mastiff, which got me wanting to reread the first Tamora Pierce quartet, the Alanna Series, which I started last week and am about to start on the Looking Glass Wars.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • edited April 2013
    Books I've read recently that I liked a lot:

Djinn Rummy by Tom Holt,
    Zoo City by Lauren Beukes,
    and The Lake by Banana Yoshimoto

I also finished Pirate Cinema by Cory Doctorow, and while I initially didn't enjoy it as much as the above listed, I think the discourse surrounding it has grown on me. I'm also currently working through some Judith Butler and I've just started Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings. It hasn't started out well (for me, anyway). Has anyone else read this series?

Oh, also, in response to the OP: I really, really enjoyed the Malazan series until book 8, where it seemed that Erikson had really reached his limit on how much his writing has improved since the not-so-good book 1. I swear that he used the word "susurration" on every other page, and it threw me off.
  • Shirszae said:

So, I am not sure whether a thread like this exists or not already, but I think it is obvious most of us like, or at least are not overly annoyed, by reading. So, I was wondering, what is each of you reading? Any particular book to recommend? Any particular favorite genre?

As for me, I am currently reading Midnight Tides, the fifth book in the series of the Malazan Book of the Fallen, and awesome it is. Epic fantasy at its best.

That series was a tough one to get through for me. It's original and incredibly epic, but his writing can be a bit plodding at times I find, and he spends too much time working through quasi-philosophical problems by way of his character's thoughts to my mind. I almost gave up in book 8 but I'm glad I didn't. The reward in the form of book 10 is well worth it though. Just incredible.
  • I totally gave up on book 8, but you've inspired me to try again! 
  • Reading the The Collegium Chronicles from the Valdemar universe by Mercedes Lackey. I've read about every other book in this series at least 3-5 times.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    @Sarapis & @Dethea Is book 8 that bad?

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• edited April 2013
    Was in the library the other day, browsing through books, and found one trilogy within the huge series of books in the Midkemia universe by Raymond E. Feist. Decided it'd be cool to read and picked them up. Currently reading the third in the trilogy, 'Wrath of a Mad God'. Decent books, but I've read better recently such as The Left Hand of God, and The Last Four Things by Paul Hoffman as well as The Warded Man and The Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett.
  • I'm reading Ham on Rye by Bukowski.  I've been revisiting some old favorites lately.

• Dethea said:
    I've just started Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings. It hasn't started out well (for me, anyway). Has anyone else read this series?
    I have, but not for years. I remember enjoying the series, and not enjoying the first book. I also knew a friend who read them later say the same thing about the first book, and later enjoy them. But, like I said, it's been years, so your mileage may vary.

I'm currently reading a lot of books because I am really terrible for reading one thing at a time. Etiquette and Espionage by Gail Carriger, because I enjoyed her previous series of steampunky vampires and werewolves. Bossypants by Tina Fey. Songs of the Earth by Elspeth Cooper. Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett. Blood of Dragons by Robin Hobb.

I just finished The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett, and it was pretty good. More for the worldbuilding than the writing, and parts of the story made me go "I hate that cliche!", but overall I enjoyed it. Also just finished A Dance With Dragons by George R.R. Martin and am currently hating the author. Why does he play with my emotions like that? WHAT DID I EVER DO TO HIM TO DESERVE THAT?!

To be read: The Witch's Daugher by Paula Brackston, Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal, The Woodcutter by Kate Danley, and A Turn of Light by Julie E. Czerneda.
  • I'm 50% of the way through Hyperion according to my Kindle.

I'm taking a break from it though to do a quick readthrough of the second hitchhiker's book.

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Unchained: A Warrior's Guide to Self-Mastery

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway

Dorsaaaaaaaai. Why has no one ever read any Childe Cycle books.

Said the scifi geek on a fantasy role playing game forum.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    My friend loaned me the Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox. It's a great read for all the source material but the actual plot progression is pretty formulaic especially if you read all three stories at one go.

• VayneVayne Rhode Island
    Finding Darwin's God by Kenneth R. Miller
  • "Free Will", "The Moral Landscape - How Science Can Determine Human Values." - Sam Harris. 

And a couple of Christopher Hitchen's and Daniel Dennett's works.

Fiction-wise, I finished the Old Kingdom Trilogy a week ago, it was pretty good.

• The last book I read in full was Perdido Street Station by China Mieville, but that was a couple of months ago now. Haven't had much time to read since, and I prefer to get through a book relatively quickly rather than reading in small chunks.
  • Blujixapug said:
    I recently finished The Dark Tower by Stephen King, and consequently am never looking at another Stephen King book again.
    Why? I am really quite terrible with titles and remembering which book they correspond to, but I think I can remember liking that one. Is that the one with the two realities that some people can jump back and forth between?

I am rereading some Discworld novels by Terry Pratchett, always recommended.
  • Just finished the Dresden Files books, waiting for the next one. Moving onto The War of the Flowers.
  • Yue said:
    Blujixapug said:
    I recently finished The Dark Tower by Stephen King, and consequently am never looking at another Stephen King book again.
    Why? I am really quite terrible with titles and remembering which book they correspond to, but I think I can remember liking that one. Is that the one with the two realities that some people can jump back and forth between?
    The Dark Tower is the 7-book one with the gunslinger, Roland. He's trying to reach The Dark Tower. It's kind of a weird western, but not heavily so. King apparently considers it his opus, and wrote the books over about 30 years. I read them on and off over 5. It's hard to talk about it or why I didn't like it without giving any spoilers, but I felt it really started to drag after the first book or two with the pace not picking up again until the last one, and I did not like the ending, which was particularly disappointing after seven books over many years.
    Nemutaur said:
    Just finished the Dresden Files books, waiting for the next one.
    Ugh, I love these books. They're a little pulpy but I haven't read anything so page-turning since Harry Potter. It got so good in the last couple of books.
  • "Really quite terrible with titles.." seems like an understatement now. LOL

I read the first three and lost interest, so I suppose I have to agree with you on this one.

I hate to admit it publicly but I just devoured the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning (starts with Dark Fever). It's four terribly smutty action books, Also, The Sword of Truth novels are excellent fun.
  • edited April 2013
    I honestly couldn't say whether I loved or hated the Fever series. But I read them obsessively either way.
  • Tania said:
    I honestly couldn't say whether I loved or hated the Fever series. But I read them obsessively either way.
    EXACTLY! QFT

I definitely loved Barrons though.
  • edited May 2013
    My last 9 months history on my Kindle (non school related): 

The Road
    True History of the Kelly Gang
    The Iron Druid Chronicles 
    Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned
    Runaway
    Cloud Atlas
    The Art of Fielding
    Cold Days - Dresden Files 
    The Namesake
    The Brief Life of Oscar Wao
  • OceanaOceana North Sea
    Maxime Chattam - Léviatemps.
    (paper, the soft, supple kind that is a pleasure to touch and turn)
  • @Tekk - I love the Iron Druid chronicles. Pretty hilarious and a lot of fun!