What's wrong with being a Houseless Alchemist?

Other than the general pros cons of joining a House, is there any particular reason why being a rogue Alchemist is a bad idea?
Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
I take my hat off to you.

Best Answers

• edited April 2013 Accepted Answer
    Having a city is important for an alchemist (anchor, lab). Having a house much less so, except for the general cons of not having a house.

The only classes that gain specific mechanical benefits from being housed are magi (master crystal, ourobori), occultists (eschaton), jesters (suicide mice) and serpents (milking room). Milking room and suicide mice aren't a huge deal in most cases though. It matters most for magi, as sustaining crystals without a master crystal can get very costly otherwise.
  • Accepted Answer
    Uh... yeah, this is why when Shallam got sunk, Cyrenian Alchemists pitched in to exchange transmuted stuff for primes (though I don't know how often it happened...) You have to attach yourself to your city's anchor just to -learn- Alchemy. You also can only use your city's lab for transmutations (aside from fills, you can do that anywhere) so, while it's viable to get started with Alchemy training, if you wanted to use Physiology - which is almost purely just for your homunculus, you wouldn't be able to since you have to have a lab in order to get nuclei to make homunculi. Don't have to join a House... but city, you basically have to be in one
    meh

Answers

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Seriously?
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• edited April 2013
    Not sure I understand the question. If you're asking whether my question is serious 'Yes'!

ETA: @Kyrra - Sorry if it's a dumb question, but if so it's dumb in earnest o_o
  • edited April 2013
    Thanks, @Iocun!
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Does anyone remember shadow of memories, on the subject of alchemists.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Shadow of Memories was bamf.
  • Iocun said:
    Having a city is important for an alchemist (anchor, lab). Having a house much less so, except for the general cons of not having a house.

The only classes that gain specific mechanical benefits from being housed are magi (master crystal, ourobori), occultists (eschaton), jesters (suicide mice) and serpents (milking room). Milking room and suicide mice aren't a huge deal in most cases though. It matters most for magi, as sustaining crystals without a master crystal can get very costly otherwise.
    Grove users are slightly gimped for not being in a forestall house.  I still have no fucking clue what grove harmony does.

• Batang said:
    Iocun said:

Grove users are slightly gimped for not being in a forestall house.  I still have no fucking clue what grove harmony does.
    If I understand right it's the same thing as alchemy empowerment.

• Harmony is basically the same as Astronomy in Alchemy (empowerment, as Shunsui says), and should be useable on any forestal (i.e. members of any forestal class, Eleusis, an Eleusian house, or Oakstone), I believe.