What do you teach novices?

2»

Comments

• OceanaOceana North Sea
    Hmm... a few things that haven't been said yet, that are not already in TASKS:
    - thirdeye
    - wilderness
    - survey
    - loyal pets/mounts and probing
    - what an arena is
    - what to do/can do when you are dead
    - what the canopy is

• Oceana said:
    Hmm... a few things that haven't been said yet, that are not already in TASKS:
    - thirdeye
    - wilderness
    - survey
    - loyal pets/mounts and probing
    - what an arena is
    - what to do/can do when you are dead
    - what the canopy is

What's the canopy?
  • OceanaOceana North Sea
    The uppermost layer in a forest, formed by the crowns of the trees. Also called crown canopy.

I would get you a quote, but I cannot log in right now. Won't connect.
  • Oceana said:
    The uppermost layer in a forest, formed by the crowns of the trees. Also called crown canopy.

Well yeah, I mean, I know what the canopy of a forest is. Was just having trouble connecting the word to something Achaean, and especially something to teach novices. I guess you teach them about swinging up?
  • edited April 2013
    Dear @Sarapis,

I have always tried to teach all new players to your world a basic set of behaviors that will lead to greatness. Nothing about skills or things you need to type...That all comes later, after they decided, Achaea is going to a home away from home for a LONG time.  

Last night, I sorta put together a small post entitled, ATTENTION - Code of Conduct.  And I meant this to be a topic where, we as players could come up with out own set of solid game play rules.  Without the help of the Gods telling us how to act.  And then, when you I say, please refer to the CoC...you would go...oh...yah.  There is a proper way to BE COOL.  Who knew? 

Usually I keep all this stuff to my house, and let the rest of Achaea do whatever they want.  Why help the bad guys? erm...Good guys?  But that was an old way to think when Achaea wasn't pouring with new characters.  Now I see where you had to make changes, and I am here to help in any way that I can, without bothering you.  

After I tell them my Rule Number One and  Rule Number Two...Which you can check out here, I usually keep this a secret...but,  I go into the basics of survival, maybe kill them myself a few times.  Show them first hand that wonderful ship ride and then...show them how to bat me around a bit, kill a few rats...and off they go!  Another Killing Machine born. 

Really, everyone is so very friendly, someone is always available to help a new comer these days.  Well done everyone!

Sincerely,

Cobra

P.S. Reason for edit...I try to check all my spelling and grammar errors..
  • Eld said:
    Oceana said:

Well yeah, I mean, I know what the canopy of a forest is. Was just having trouble connecting the word to something Achaean, and especially something to teach novices. I guess you teach them about swinging up?
    When you're in the trees. I have to keep saving novices who forget to go DOWN because they don't realise QL which change if you SWING UP/GROVE ELEVATE etc…and that you'd break your limbs if no levitation or hovering has been set up.
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

• Lukan said:
    Pretty much everything Collegiums in Lusternia teach(minus their game-specific things). They have it down pretty damn well over there.
    Yeah, the collegiums are great at getting newbies on the same page. It also comes with a lot of lesson bonuses as incentive. On the plus side, older members can get started with the RP quickly without worrying too much about orientations. On the minus, it seemed to me that the collegiums do such a good job that many older members don't bother with new members at all.

• My best experience being introduced to a mud years ago, was someone of the opposite sex randomly approaching me and picking me up from newb town. It was a central area where most newbies who didn't know what they were doing would most likely to be hanging about. She took me on power leveling trips, showed me how to do quests, and was generally available and friendly in the next week or two of me logging in before I started to find my own footing.

My suggestion would be to tailor the introduction to a few types of novices, based on your target audience for Achaea:

1) new to muds, interested in roleplay but might not be used to a command line interface in general
    2) experienced mudder, new to IRE games, possibly new to roleplaying

I played mostly DIKU muds prior to Achaea and there was a very minimal need for triggers or even roleplay in them. However IRE players would most likely be used to an affliction system etc. and more focus can be placed on the lore and roleplay aspects.
  • @Kalvon - not sure why you mentioned that they were of the opposite sex in that post..? Or don't I want to know?
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Oh, I was just stating the facts. I suppose that's not really relevant.
  • It depends some classes have more to teach on from the beginning than others. Some classes don't really need to learn till level 50 and others need intervention fairly early both for sake of the RP experience and for sake of their class is semi complicated (I'm thinking blade master quests here amongst other classes which aren't necessarily straightforward) And for some classes their class has an RP that is detrimental if it is not started earlier rather than later. There is a major learning curve difference for new players between something a new player learns with another player and that which they learn via newbie quests (newbies tend to respect elder players time vs a computers time if that makes sense and that's what makes mentor ship an effective and good thing). Just a couple quick thoughts.
    (Blades of Valour): He just has that Synbios Swagger enough said.
    (Blades of Valour): Draekar says: "Synbios if sunbeams sparkle off that I'll kill you where you stand."

(Party) Halos says, "Disbar?"
    (Party) Draekar says, "You know here we have disbar."
    (Party) Draekar says, "And over there we have datbar."
This discussion has been closed.