What next?

2»

Comments

• AmunetAmunet Spokane, Washington, USA
    "Politically fatigued" is a polite way to put it. More frankly, it's "sick and tired of all of the jackasses who don't contribute anything to Ashtan (or Achaea) save for a dip in its collective IQ and the occasional venereal disease." ;)

Honestly, though, I think the "crazy" bit has kind of run its course. To borrow a comparison everyone will probably recognize, Amu's been playing politics long enough that, in regard to her attitude and her tactics, she ought to be a little less Cersei Lannister and a little more Olenna Tyrell. It's been a while since I've changed it up, so I think it's about time the evolution continued.
    My avatar is an image created by this very talented gentleman, of whose work I am extremely jealous. It was not originally a picture of Amunet, but it certainly looks a great deal like how I envision her!
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Spend another lifetime trying to get people to join Mhaldor and make it cool and I will fail inevitably when we still have no active gods 10 years down the line.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Mishgul said:
    Spend another lifetime trying to get people to join Mhaldor and make it cool and I will fail inevitably when we still have no active gods 10 years down the line.
    Active gods are nice, since they makes many things easy, but they're by no means necessary. Failure or the lack thereof will depend on the players.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
    dont have players because they won't sstick around :( mhaldor's plaayerbase has changed like 4 times in my short stay here.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
  • edited February 2013
    Mhaldor is still hands down the best experience for novices in the game (assuming you don't get one of those crazy people that has a high rank for some reason). I was there for well over a year, and only started getting bored towards the high end of the rank spectrum.

It definitely felt a lot less hardcore towards the end of my stay, partially due to changes in the playerbase and partially because once I wasn't a novice, it was easier to see how much of the whole Strength dealie was just RP'd bluster.

But seriously, hoping Sartan is the absolute highest priority role to fill at the moment.
  • They did just call for celani, and it's the most glaring opening. Bet you see new demigods pop up to help out soon
  • edited February 2013
    Tvistor said:
    Mhaldor is still hands down the best experience for novices in the game 
    ... if your playing time coincides with the playing time of other Mhaldorian players. If you play at odd times, you may run into the trouble of not actually meeting any other adventurers to interact with, which doesn't make for a great novice experience. That's a sad thing, because the Mhaldorian players really can't be faulted for it. It's just a result of a generally small playerbase at certain times of the day combined with Mhaldor inherently being a "niche" city (due to them being villains rather than heroes, and due to the very strict and imposing environment).
  • @Amunet one of the cool parts of RPing with you is that Amunet's actually changed a lot over the years...almost cyclical but not entirely. From being crazy and skittish to being crazy and fearful to being crazy with power to now sort of being crazy and "politically fatigued."
    Looks like @Amunet is very consistent with her craziness  ;))

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    I had a Mhaldorian alt for a while. There was barely anyone visible in the city and the House was always empty. Granted that I don't get the opportunity to play at peak times in general, but the lack of any real people being around most of the time was off putting. Especially for House related tasks.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• I picked serpent and Naga and Mhaldor because serpent is drool, saboteur RP is exciting and enjoyable, and I thought I could RP the snot out of the Seven Truths. Mhaldor was so-so, Naga was cool, serpent is still drool.

I never intended to defect. The whole 'Antvisdaeyue decides to be homeless' thing is just one of those strange, unexpected events that good arpee thrives on.

There are so many other classes I would like to play - not to reach some predefined level of combat proficiency in each of them - but because the lore, background, history, etc. intrigues me.

Maybe I will alt in a few years when I learn what the heck I'm doing with serpent.
  • edited February 2013
    I don't play this game with the intent to level up/complete goals/whatever. I play this game as Averi. It's exciting to learn things about her, see her grow, develop as a character. She means a lot to me and has been a really big part of me for the past year or so.

That doesn't mean I don't get sick of her though. Sometimes, playing a egocentric airhead is a bit too much and sometimes I just don't want to interact with her at all. Although I do love her a lot. In those times, I go on my alts. Because I haven't spent quite as much time with those characters, I don't know them as well. That's why they are alts.

I play this game strictly for the rp. And because of that, any situation thrown at me is exciting.

edit: for proper spelling and whatnot.
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • I realize my post wasn't very concise. What I mean is that Achaea gives us a very rich environment to develop characters in. I could probably play Achaea for the next ten years and not do everything I would like to do.
  • Current goal is Knighthood, of course. Then I have some other things planned that I'm saving until afterward, in the hopes of staving off post-Knighthood inactivity.
  • Cooper said:
    Definitely hear you on the frustrations of playing a character with a large ego.
    Are you fighting with your character again? :(
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • You can try to win Achaea in a few ways. But you have to hit more than one to be like a super-winner. Like Tanris or Penwize or <insert other relevant name here>.

a. Own combat
    b. Run an org (city/house/order)
    c. own crafting (see Lavinia, Katia)
    d. Explore ALL THE THINGS
    e. Win worldwide competition

I'm missing pieces there, but after all of that runs out, innovate. Start something that doesn't exist. Change something that needs changing. Take up a denizen's cause and form a High Clan around them. ;) (don't pick Sallust)

In a world that hits 300+ active adventurers at peak times, there is always something you could do to make you legendary. Easy to stand out if you're standoutworthy (must be another word for this).
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    I personally never have, nor currently have ambition towards reaching dragon. I suppose it may very well happen eventually, but it's not something I actively pursue. I'm more concerned with, and enjoy, running the city Navy and being part of the Bastion. Honestly, going to Ashtan all those years ago, at the request of close friends after a while of being a rogue, was one of the best decisions I feel that I made in my character's life.

• edited March 2013
    My bar is so low, anything is up. I had the same character since 2005 and quit several times, but now I just have short term goals. I really would like to eventually get into some roleplay normalcy because it's the most dynamic part of the game (there are no rules, a collective of people make up 'what next' and 'what is going on', etc). 

I have no real desire for power or leadership, but maybe my character will. I have no idea yet. Still working on joining a city again at the moment and trying to learn lore and history on the side.
  • Having been a player for a decade and a half now (oofh...)....i'm still not 'out' of things to do. 

* committed relationship (both hubs have gone dormant, so .... meh)
    * GM/HL (rip *sentaari)
    * city minister (two different positions) (rip *shallam)
    * logosian
    * dragon
    * tritrans
    * omnitrans
    * licenses and permits
    * tsol'dasi
    * all the other languages (except Vertani 'cause that's not possible anymore....or Dragon outside of formed -_-)
    * order stuff
    * honoursline quests (this'll take a while....and again, some aren't possible anymore -_-)
    * explorer's rank (woooooooooo Monocle)
    * owning a ship 
    * have an awesome family (@salome, @kaiu, @garis, @karron, @ermot, @krognak)
    * make some really great friends/allies (too many of you!)
    * discover somewhere new before @delphinus >.>
    * meet Achaeans IRL (@alexandrite, @xeirt, @cenadrak)
    * complete-for-me set of artefacts
    * awesome house (still under water -_-)

and I'm sure there's other stuff than this, even typical 'endgame' stuff that I'm missing. I haven't done any creative writing since highschool/college, and while my stick figures are some of the best ever, they're not artisanal quality, but those could very well be things that someone else might want to get into. 

• Step 1: Choose an excellent mentor.
    Step 2: Declare to said mentor that you want their job.
    Step 3: 
    Step 4: Profit!

• Anaidiana said:

* all the other languages (except Vertani 'cause that's not possible anymore....or Dragon outside of formed -_-)

I had a thread about fixing this a while back. Not possible to learn all the languages. You could pay for a real-life house in full for the credits you'd buy for language gold.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
    Arditi said:

Step 1: Choose an excellent mentor.

Step 2: Declare to said mentor that you want their job.
    Step 3: 
    Step 4: Profit!
    Getting Profit's job doesn't seem so exciting

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • With a good credit sale, you could probably learn every language for under $300,000.
  • Xith said:
    Anaidiana said:

I had a thread about fixing this a while back. Not possible to learn all the languages. You could pay for a real-life house in full for the credits you'd buy for language gold.
    oh ye of little faith. I will be the first! it is on THE LIST.

• Aerek said:
    Others have already mentioned it, but when you reach the end of your road, or start getting close to it, you stop being the player and start being the GM. I log in each day to help the younger players find that same sense of adventure and "anything's possible" that I felt when I started. When they have fun, I have fun, even if it's a headache and a half to make it happen.
    And when you are no longer able to make it happen you become an OH... and when that ends you slowly fade into lore and history.
    (Blades of Valour): He just has that Synbios Swagger enough said.
    (Blades of Valour): Draekar says: "Synbios if sunbeams sparkle off that I'll kill you where you stand."

(Party) Halos says, "Disbar?"
    (Party) Draekar says, "You know here we have disbar."
    (Party) Draekar says, "And over there we have datbar."
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    I recently started finding myself growing overly bored and lacking motivation to keep involved with my character and Achaea. So I decided a change was needed, and migrated to new adventure and opportunity. Hopefully it all works out and will be a lot of fun. So far, it has been.

• Kakotas said:
    Aerek said:
    Others have already mentioned it, but when you reach the end of your road, or start getting close to it, you stop being the player and start being the GM. I log in each day to help the younger players find that same sense of adventure and "anything's possible" that I felt when I started. When they have fun, I have fun, even if it's a headache and a half to make it happen.
    And when you are no longer able to make it happen you become an OH... and when that ends you slowly fade into lore and history.
    Then come back after two years and have a blast! It's working so far...