New Forums

Comments

• I am having a very difficult time posting to the forums from my phone. It is an HTC Inspire, identical to the Desire, or Evo, in most respects. Android 2.3 OS, rooted.

The last version of the "new forums" had a clickable thing to disable rich text or some such in posts, which would suddenly allow me to post like normal. However, I can't see that option here. So what happens is I have to force open my touchscreen keyboard (via the menu key) and when I type, it makes the letters come out all capitalized. Additionally, using a swype keyboard type doesn't function, each character has to be entered one at a time.  It's very frustrating.

I am guessing this problem is caused by java or some such being involved? Not entirely sure, I'm not a programmer.

Is there any way to bring back that functionality from the last forums? Or is there a way to perhaps add the extension to the forums so that the app Tapatalk can access it? That app is amazing for phone browsing of forums. Thanks for looking into this, I appreciate it.

• On the profile pages of a user (or even your own account) the WTF/LOLs/LIKE/DISAGREE is clickable, but does nothing. Likewise, when you get a notification that you 'earned a badge' for one of those reaching a certain threshold, clicking on it just tells you 'We like that'. 

These clickable items should at the very least I think, SHOW YOU the post/comment that earned you the badge, while clicking on the overall number should probably lists the posts/comments and the users who wtf/lol 'd that post.
  • I dont particularly care for these new forums... What was wrong with the old ones?
  • OceanaOceana North Sea
    Is it possible to make the orange box with "2 new comments" next to a discussion click-able, and let it take you directly to the 2 new comments? I think the old forums had this feature.
  • @Oceana: Clicking the thread itself -- the names, not the page numbers -- should take you to the latest posts.

I love the way in which these forums are, well, usable! Here's hoping for a more Achaean theme on the horizon.
  • Oceana said:
    Oh, 5-like badge, where art thou?
    and @Delphinius appears to have earned one too. :(
    Miin-aan baash kimini-sij-i-gan bitooyin sij-i-gan-i bukwayszhiigan = blueberry π
  • I don't like the existence of a badge for 5 WTFs. Seems like that sends the wrong message.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • This may have been asked before, but is there a way to permanently mark a thread as viewed, or something similar?
  • yes please, listen to your Eld(er)  this idea has merit
  • @Vasool LOL on your above comment is actually for WTF'ing Jiraishin's anti-WTF badge comment.
    Miin-aan baash kimini-sij-i-gan bitooyin sij-i-gan-i bukwayszhiigan = blueberry π
  • no idea why, but suddenly Avast is telling me that *.vanillaforums.com has insecure content. I'll restart chrome to see if it still does it, but it only started today.
    meh

• I like that you can see a tally of likes/etc.
    I don't like that clicking on them doesn't show the appropriate post. I just spent ten minutes frantically searching for what post someone could have disliked because I'm that vain.
  • I did that too D:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • Couldn't find a more appropriate place for this request and didn't want to make a new thread so here it goes.

Can we get an increase to the character limit for posts? Or at least within The Matsuhama Arena? It's inconvenient having to post links to pastebin or pastebin like sites, and I've just found myself posting less because of it.

Party right, party hard,

Sing and dance, perfect bard.

Prefarar loop, accentato whore,

Buy a new rapier, get nerfed some more.

• Just doubled the limit, to 16k characters.
  • wow thanks!

Party right, party hard,

Sing and dance, perfect bard.

Prefarar loop, accentato whore,

Buy a new rapier, get nerfed some more.

• Cinya said:
    Sarapis is actually the Logos IRL also. 
    He'll hate you for all the angry emails he'll get about wars, famine and maladies now.
  • What're you talking about? Everyone knows the most prayers happen at convenience stores, after buying lottery tickets
  • I thought it was after buying a pregnancy test.

• I thought it was during the 'Season of Exams'(not to be confused with Xmas) that prayers were rife.

• I noticed that some Achaeans have what I can only describe as "forum ranks". If you go to someone's profile, for instance, next to the their account name there will sometimes be several stars, and if you put your cursor over them it'll read "Stalwart Achaean", "Distinguished Achaean", or something like that. I don't know how long this has been there, but I got a notification this morning that I was 'promoted', and I had no idea why.

Out of curiosity, how does this system work, and does it have any practical effects? I haven't noticed any hard correlations between number of posts, number of likes, etc. 
    Mathonwy said:
    dactylic hexameter is
    way more interesting than the inside of anyone's vagina.
  • Damn, only two stars. I'm a forum equite.
    (Party): Mizik says, "This can't possibly go wrong."
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    @Cinya: I was trying to figure it out too. wtb information on how to gain forumrank.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • I am higher ranked than all of you! B-)

Peasants.

• Pssh. Where are Your stars?