Roleplaying in Mhaldor

Hello.  I made a character in Mhaldor a while ago, several months at this point, under this name, and while I did get deleted from dormancy, I'm going to come back eventually, probably this summer (though under a different name).  I was just wondering, however, if I could get any pointers on how one goes about roleplaying in Mhaldor?  Admittedly, the city's concept as a whole is kind of intimidating and I guess that's why I'm here.  I'm interested, and I want to try it.

Anyway, sorry that the question is so broad, but I guess what I am asking is... what kind of background did you give your character?  I am having a hard time justifying why my character decided to join Mhaldor, or rather, will have a hard time once I actually make the alt in a few months.  Why would you willingly want to become a slave?

And how frowned upon is it to demonstrate resistance -- though not outright, in-your-face obnoxious resistance -- to authority?  Would that be annoying to try to do?  What are some cliches that everyone is tired of seeing in each of the Mhaldorian Houses, or just some general things to stay away from?  Or maybe it is better to give a general idea of what I might expect or have expected of me?  I'm not sure.  Or... should I just try to learn these things in-game?  I don't want to be hated from the get-go, though, so I thought asking here might be better.  But now I'm rambling.

In any case, sorry that this post is so disorganized and kind of all over the place, but these are my thoughts/questions!  Thank you for reading!

Comments

• I personally want a Mhaldorian alt, but my current issue with that is... how do I even roleplay?

Actually, before @Mishgul comes in and corrects me, my actual issue is that Achaea as a game can bore me at times (especially playing as a newbie character), and insufficient character interaction can very easily cause me to get bored of a character before I even get past any sort of novice stage. Thus, my actual issue is either "how do I find character interaction, even at an early stage?" or, more difficult to solve, "how do I make tedious things in Achaea more fun, without character interaction?"

I've heard the solution is to just "fulfill your requirements, do things, and people will roleplay with you," which probably seems fine, except I never needed to do that on Nim. Nim just talked to people, and sometimes people just talked to her. The first few of them were creepy as heck, but even then, at its worst, it was still interaction, and still helped give me chances to define Nim's personality.

In Mhaldor, though, there are multiple things that state, quite plainly, that novices should shut up and focus on their studies, and nothing else. It even makes finding a mentor really awkward and hard to justify. On one hand, it seems like the logical answer is to just ignore them and roleplay anyway, but on the other hand, it is a strict military culture, and privates don't just go up to the general and say "yo, how's the weather treatin' you?"

(@Alianor: sorry if I end up hijacking your thread or something like that @_@ it was just called "Roleplaying in Mhaldor" and that was very literally an issue I happened to be facing!)

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    I am here to correct Nim. Consider yourself corrected.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Yesss, now I'm correct! >:3

Time to go argue on the internet and win!

assimilated

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    Seriously though, most of the novice heads, Xenomorph, Myself, Jurixe, Ruth love novices that ask lots of questions. As long as they don't beg for freebies. Ugh my beard keeps curling into my mouth

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • Note that if you need some reading material in Mhaldor on pretty much all you could want for a long time, check out "The Scriptorium." in Mhaldor. It's a public library. Many of the books there are very valuable for if you're looking for a feel of what stuff's about. The sermons and posts by Wulfen are pretty great. Working on House requirements help guide you in whatever direction you may like.
  • edited April 2013
    @Drauka Thank you very much for that post!  I will probably be referring back to that when it's time to actually play and I have time.

@Nim No worries; a lot of that stuff I am wondering about, too!  I never did choose a mentor when I first made this character before she got deleted, simply because I just had no reason to randomly, out of the blue ask someone if they'd be willing to take me on as a protege.

@Mishgul Okay, good to keep in mind.  Of course I won't beg for things, though, hehe!
  • @Nim, I thought finding interaction in Mhaldor meant "Join Naga, buy darkbow, use bow to interact with enemies".
    More seriously, encouraging novices to focus on their studies is not uniquely Mhaldorian, and I don't think it's generally prefaced with "shut up and", even in Mhaldor. Despite the militarism, slavery, etc, it's to be expected that novices will need guidance, so asking questions about the culture and ideologies and such would probably be a good place to start. I get the impression that a lot of the HLs and HoNs will also seek out novices to see how they're doing, make sure they get settled in, and such; the tone will certainly be harsher than you'll likely encounter in other cities, in keeping with Mhaldorian culture, but that doesn't make it a less valid way to get acquainted with the other characters in the city, flesh out how your character reacts to them, and the like.

@Alianor, on the OP, a couple observations from an outsider (Eld's not Mhaldorian, so I may be more or less off base, but hopefully people will correct me if I get too much wrong). You don't necessarily have to play someone who sought out slavery in Mhaldor: you could have grown up a slave in Mhaldor (born to slaves or enslaved at an early age), and come to embrace the Truths and the Mhaldorian philosophy of slavery and suffering as a path to strength. As for why someone would willingly become a slave, from my understanding of Mhaldorian philosophy, it's sort of like submitting yourself to a process whereby your weaknesses will be purged, so that you can acheive your potential.

• NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    Good in-game book on Mhaldorian slavery is Mhaldorian Freedom, by @Lodi. Pretty sure that you can find it in the Scriptorium. If not, I think that the Congregation has a copy in the estate library.

Besides that, welcome to Mhaldor, and have fun!
  • @Alianor : There hasn't been any problems with me approaching the higher ups. Most seem to appreciate people wanting to learn more about Mhaldorian culture and quite a few go on to tell awesome stories. There will always be people who are busy or just not up to interacting/rp right that moment. Just go find someone else to pester.

Also...
    Eld said:
    @Nim, I thought finding interaction in Mhaldor meant "Join Naga, buy darkbow, use bow to interact with enemies".

Works for me so far :D
  • Many people in Mhaldor have a story. Being the "bad guys" is a very precise role, and not a lot of people find it enjoyable to constantly be in conflict, and essentially be the guys that make everyone else in the world mad. People like the good guys. So, when it comes down to making a very "evil" and at that a "Justified evil", people are going to have long drawn out explinations as to why they are a huge dickhole to everyone all the time, yet still see themselves with a sense of honor and respect.

Not always the case, but many people will have stories to explain their turn to the "dark side". Just ask around, most of us are itching to make ourselves sound like badasses.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • SherazadSherazad Planef Urth
    There have been many novices (even new recruits) who are intimidated with speaking to their superiors, so no worries about that. What I try to tell them is if they have questions, they should just ask instead of remaining ignorant. You also don't need special reasons for asking someone to be their protege.

As for showing "resistance", it's good, as long as you do it in a respectful and nonblasphemous way. @Vasse wasn't really intending to join Mhaldor and @Tasuu and I sensed how his character had some problems with Mhaldorian beliefs so we had a little discussion about that. 
    Bleh, work ate my gaming life.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

• I've recently joined Mhaldor and I've been more than a little intimidated and overwhelmed by it all, unsure of how to act. Generally I've been playing the only speak when spoken to card or when I have a specific question, which seems fitting for my current rank (Or lack thereof).

I'm not the fastest typist and I tend to think carefully about what I want to say or convey, because of this by the time I actually go to react to something IC the moment has passed and I feel like I'm playing catchup while my character stands there apparently unresponsive, preventing me from presenting Valden's reactions to what is going on around/to him.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Valden said:
    I've recently joined Mhaldor and I've been more than a little intimidated and overwhelmed by it all, unsure of how to act. Generally I've been playing the only speak when spoken to card or when I have a specific question, which seems fitting for my current rank (Or lack thereof).

I'm not the fastest typist and I tend to think carefully about what I want to say or convey, because of this by the time I actually go to react to something IC the moment has passed and I feel like I'm playing catchup while my character stands there apparently unresponsive, preventing me from presenting Valden's reactions to what is going on around/to him.

Thats a problem I have, too. I often think too much, and by the time I have decided on something, most people are like, "anyway, moving on." Best is to just let loose a bit. As for the ranks, if you feel unsure of talking to those above, just interact with the slaves. There are a lot more slaves than any other rank anyway, and I've had very fun interactions with most of them.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    @Valden and @Shirszae: Welcome to Mhaldor. First, it's pretty cool that you guys get affected on such an emotional level; that will help to keep the game fun for you. Most of us are pretty understanding OOC, so if you are nervous about that, shoot us an OOC message explaining what's up, and then continue to RP with us. Focus on one-on-ones at first, and then branch out when you feel more comfortable. Honestly, I have my fun in Achaea by helping make the game fun for other people in an RP sense.
  • Also, in seriousness, if you want to play a character who has a "problem with authority", Mhaldor is not the place. In fact, it's like the only place where that really doesn't fly. You could have legitimate problems with house/citymates - legitimate IC stuff, I mean - but that's going to lead to politicing/feuding, not disobediance or insubordination.

edit.. phone spelling
  • YueYue
    edited April 2013
    ....how does one ask for RP? Wouldn't that be OOC?

I think the Naga are pretty specific about what they expect of their Novices. If you read what is suggested and are attentive, there are few questions you would need a senior member to answer. Do what is suggested. Be quiet. If you pull both of those off, you'll probably discover that you have learned something about the roleplay climate, who's who, and maybe even make some IC acquaintances. I know I did, and I never went out of my way to "seek RP"

Daeir said: "Speak only when spoken to" really denigrates people who want to actively seek out RP"
    Oh yeah. I want to roleplay a super friendly, outspoken, sociable assassin from the city of evil.
  • edited April 2013
    Yue said:
    ....how does one ask for RP? Wouldn't that be OOC?

It's fairly easy to ask for roleplay, either if a person is in the same room as yourself or via tells or in-game channels. Could be anything from: "Greetings. I have been studying the facets of the Seven Truths lately but there are some things I would like a second opinion about. Perhaps you might be interested in meeting for a in-depth discussion?" to: "Oi. I heard the Drunken Dwarf tavern just got another shipment of their finest ale, so let's drink up!", depending on your character's personality/beliefs/hobbies/etc. Even messages and letters are good for setting up opportunities for roleplay and it can all be done in character. If people aren't interested, they'll generally make sure you know and you can just find someone else to roleplay with.

There's a distinction between being told not to speak unless spoken to and being super friendly, outspoken and sociable. Roleplay can be very dark, grim and evil, in fact a lot of popular tabletop RPGs have that angle (World of Darkness comes to mind), but unless people have an incentive to interact (as opposed to fearing punishment), there is a chance that roleplay will be quite limited. Not saying that this is the case with Mhaldor, just that an environment that invites people to develop their character will appeal to roleplayers in general. I very much loved going to the Sarapin Sacrifice when I first joined Mhaldor.
  • edited April 2013
    Rage comment. Unnecessary antagonistic, sorry. 
  • JiraishinJiraishin skulking
    edited April 2013
    I would have actually liked it if more of my Naga novices had talked beyond "I completed the task you asked of me" and "I am progressing well, Nagaraja. Thank you for asking" without me feeling like I was either nagging or stalking them.

EDIT: stalking in a way visible to the novice, I mean.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
    Agravain your post brought tears to my eyes, whyd id you edit it

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • Jiraishin said:
    I would have actually liked it if more of my Naga novices had talked beyond "I completed the task you asked of me" and "I am progressing well, Nagaraja. Thank you for asking" without me feeling like I was either nagging or stalking them.

I felt like that with @Jurixe and @Mishgul but when people encouraged me to get more in depth, I talked more and more, and I got encouraging conversations and more. Of course with Jurixe my conversations are a bit shorter, but it's not a simplistic one liner before I go back to my work. With Carmain, he's been encouraging me and giving me advice where I need it. The more I open myself up, and give them something to work with, the more I'll get back in the end.
  • Jiraishin said:

I encourage my citymates to stalk me. I've scarred more than one curious cad who poked his nose where it shouldn't have been and got a whiff of something disgusting.