class choices

edited September 2012 in The Matsuhama Arena
hey, so i was wondering before what makes people choose the class they do and thought to make a thread here about it
so basically why you like your class and what motivated you to choose it
thanks

Comments

• VayneVayne Rhode Island
    Serpents sounded cool, turned out they were. They have some of the best utility in the game.
  • I chose my class based on city. Mhaldor had just been created earlier that month, so I rolled a character to be in the Maldaathi because I wanted to be in a guild/city from the ground up. I thought it would offer itself a very powerful narrative and I was right.
  • Going through the intro, and reading the help files on the various cities, I already knew I wanted to be in Mhaldor. But Knight characters aren't really my things, so I had to pick between Shaman and Serpent because I thought those were the coolest. I flipped a coin (not literally, just picked one of them for no reason) and got Shaman.

As for why I like the class... I think I would have preferred being a Serpent D: But I really like the House I ended up in so it's all good. My class only really comes into play when it comes to combat, and one particular ritual I've performed thus far. There are a few more rituals/stuff I had in plan for that a bit more Shaman specific, but they're on a lower priority for me now compared to some of the other things I'm doing so it probably won't come out for a while.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • I actually hate Serpent (OOCly at least), and chose it  for solely RP reasons. The utility is nice, but enough nice enough to make up for how difficult and not-fun I find the combat. I daydream on a regular basis of switching back to Runewarden. 

I originally chose Runewarden because it was the only unaligned warrior-tank type class, which I really wanted to play. It was even more fun than I expected - I love the utility of Runelore more than I can express, and the combat really appealed to me. 
    Mathonwy said:
    dactylic hexameter is
    way more interesting than the inside of anyone's vagina.
  • Chose infernal because of RP reasons, and because that was the only knight class my house at the time accepted.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• Paladin because the idea of a holy knight always appealed to me(though the fact that you can't encase your swords in a holy aura dampened the feeling somewhat).

Blademaster because RP and OOCwise, I loved their appeal.

• Doesn't heresy or something do that? Or is that just with a mace? Whichever one stops rebounding...
  • First I picked monk because I always enjoy RPing a monk-type personality (calm, humble, but badass enough to beat armored people to pulp with your fists alone). Later I went serpent because of the utility and how awesome the whole stealth thing sounded. Now I still stay serpent because I got involved in combat and it turned out to be utterly awesome, although RP-wise Iocun is really still much more a monk than a serpent.
  • Iocun said:
    First I picked monk because I always enjoy RPing a monk-type personality (calm, humble, but badass enough to beat armored people to pulp with your fists alone). Later I went serpent because of the utility and how awesome the whole stealth thing sounded. Now I still stay serpent because I got involved in combat and it turned out to be utterly awesome, although RP-wise Iocun is really still much more a monk than a serpent.
    I've been called a "Runewarden with phase" before. :(
    Mathonwy said:
    dactylic hexameter is
  • NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    I started as a Serpent because of the stealth, utility, and RP. Combat as a Serpent is very powerful, but it really is the trickiest class.

I ended up switching to Apostate because the combat is a lot simpler (though not as powerful as a Serpent's). Also, my personality tends to lend itself more to the religious fervour advocated in Mhaldor. The prospect of being an evil priest, who is certain in the moral superiority provided by his theology, and wants nothing more than to build a Utopia of Evil is just awesome.
  • edited September 2012
    Bard because it was accepted by the Sylvans (the House I knew I wanted this character to be apart of) and because I wanted to prove that Darby was not the epitome of bard combat.

Party right, party hard,

Sing and dance, perfect bard.

Prefarar loop, accentato whore,

Buy a new rapier, get nerfed some more.

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    I chose Paladin because there were fewer classes back then.  I want to say there were only Druids, Monks, Templars, Occultists, Priest and Serpent back in 1999.
  • Cinya said:
    Phasewarden.

• Synbios said:
    Cinya said:
    Phasewarden.
    So tempted to use that title IG. 
    Mathonwy said:
    dactylic hexameter is
  • Honestly...I was trying to bang a girl that played a druid...so naturally I rolled with the druid guild.  I must say, being the worst class (untill alchemist) for combat, and succeding as well as I have has made it quite interesting

• edited September 2012
    On my very first character, I started as a magi, in the Arcanists. I didn't know much of anything about Achaea yet, so I basically just chose a guild that seemed cool/fun. I failed the ridiculous novice test (which you could only take once), and had to find a different guild, so I chose the runewardens because I wanted to stay in Cyrene and they seemed more interesting than bards or monks.

On my next character (I don't remember why I stopped playing the first one), I was an Occultist. I wasn't as new to Achaea, so I knew a bit about the different guilds and had more to go on than just what sounded cool, so I chose the Occultists because pretty much everything about it (the atmosphere, the secrecy, the elitism, being not-good, the few Occultist characters I'd met) was appealing.

Autoclass went in about a year later, so I made a few alts just to try out different classes. Over the years I tried serpent, druid, magi (because I'd never made it past novicehood), priest, monk, bard, and apostate.

When I made Sena, I chose serpent because it was my favourite class. Eventually, RP stuff happened and Sena became a pacifist and changed to priest (in hindsight, that probably wasn't the best decision). I changed class again to shaman after Rho excommunicated Ashtani devotionists. I chose shaman partially because I hadn't tried the class yet and it seemed interesting, and partially because it seemed to fit Sena pretty well. The changes to blademaster and alchemist were mostly just wanting to try the new classes but not wanting to start a new character for them, though there was also the fact that the aesthetics of blademaster matched Sena as much as shaman (and obviously evade was a factor), and then wanting something with more utility and better bashing than blademaster (I got the better bashing, but not so much utility, and then traits made the better bashing pretty much irrelevant because blademaster would have been fine if not for raja being a poor race for it).
  • When i first started playing, we didn't have half the class choices there are now, so to use the vernacular, I 'rolled a monk' for nearly the same reasons as Iocun (tankiness personified, training of the mind and body, humility and so on). I've had some throwaway alts over the years, but I have too much to do as Ana to really keep one alive. 

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Batang said:
    Honestly...I was trying to bang a girl that played a druid...so naturally I rolled with the druid guild.  I must say, being the worst class (untill alchemist) for combat, and succeding as well as I have has made it quite interesting
    I'm hoping you meant a girl IRL and not a text girl.  Big difference behind the rationale.
  • Occultists sounded cool. Creepy sages of forbidden magic. Horrors from outer space. Tarot and tentacles. I have no idea what type of fictional characters I originally connected this with. I don't think I read Lovecraft until after I started playing Achaea. Didn't see The Ninth Gate until after I started playing.

Sylvans sounded cool. Dudes who turn into trees and destroy people with weather magic. Like ents in LOTR, hoom hoom. Or weatherworkers in Earthsea. I throw a hurricane at your face, pow.
  • I chose Occultist solely to try out a character in the House. There were a lot of good things being said about the RP environment there, and the best way to get involved was to just join. The more I learned about the history and the way some of the more well-known Occultists RPed the class, the more I liked, and now I have a hard time trying out other classes solely because I miss the skills I have with Morro too much.
  • I chose Monk originally just cause I love Monk flavor.  Plus, Tekura was bloody awesome.

I changed to Serpent mainly cause I was tired of not being able to do much outside a combat role.  I have a lot more utility now, though the combat is infuriating to me.  I so so wish Mojushai would accept Runewardens, cause it'd be really bloody OOC for Nell to leave the House >.<
  • Morro said:
    I chose Occultist solely to try out a character in the House. There were a lot of good things being said about the RP environment there, and the best way to get involved was to just join. The more I learned about the history and the way some of the more well-known Occultists RPed the class, the more I liked, and now I have a hard time trying out other classes solely because I miss the skills I have with Morro too much.
    *miss* /forum-RP

So much more for me to learn there.
    Miin-aan baash kimini-sij-i-gan bitooyin sij-i-gan-i bukwayszhiigan = blueberry π
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    I'd always thought Serpent sounded awesome because of the RP potential - spy/thief/assassin, come on. Chose the Naga because I wanted to try a character in Mhaldor (even though I was terrified of everyone in it at the time) and it seemed like there would be the most purpose for a character like what I was hoping to RP there.
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• I rolled a paladin because the holy knight role appealed to me. I thought it'd be way more crusader-y, though, than it was at the time, but I like to think I made it work. Switched to runie because I kind of expected to get excommed when I left Shallam (also to totem-behead in Annwyn for the lulz) and wanted to stay knight-classed. RP led to becoming Infernal - again, wanted to stay knight, but also wanted more of a f--k you to Shallam/Church.

Soon relented on that, since it's impossible to justify Necromancy as anything other than Evil for more than a couple of weeks, and became a blademaster which gave me the monk-style humility/repentance RP while keeping weapons (with the added bonus of also being a ridiculously cool new class). Monk was the next sensible RP choice from there (also artimonk vs Hashan got me about 5 levels in the 90s), then the switch to priest was something of a homecoming, bringing Silas back to his devo roots, and ultimately back to Shallam and hardcore Good, while taking into account the evolution of the character - i.e., different focus, different style led to priest rather than the complete 360 back to paladin.

• rolled a monk first because I do martial arts IRL and thought it'd be fun. Eventually rolled a serpent because I've always enjoyed playing the stealthy assassin/thief type, in p much every RP game i ever play. For some reason, it never gets boring for me.

• Infernal because...well....Evil Knight!!!! How much cooler than that can you get?

•  Bard made sense because I fancy myself as an amateur writer/poet IRL and I loved the uniqueness of the Bards Guild ("The Guild is dead. Long live the House!"). Similar to @Antidas, the only other alternative 'lifestyle' that I would have been interested in RPing would have been Serpent because 'thief' is my default RPG class, but I just couldn't bring myself to steal textproperty from real players.

Hmm, now that I know the breadth of what Serpents can do, perhaps I should roll a spyalt...
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Achilles said:
    Batang said:
    Honestly...I was trying to bang a girl that played a druid...so naturally I rolled with the druid guild.  I must say, being the worst class (untill alchemist) for combat, and succeding as well as I have has made it quite interesting
    I'm hoping you meant a girl IRL and not a text girl.  Big difference behind the rationale.
    Yes, it was a real girl.  SHe was in my distance learning/art class.