I am newbie: hear me ... ?

(I composed this over a period of about a week and changed my stance and understanding of a thing or two in that time, so please forgive the disjointed nature of this post.)

I've been playing Achaea for about a month now and I love it.  I love the depth of history and culture the game sports.  I, the player, actually have to study to advance in my house ranks.  My inner bookworm (okay, so it's not that inner actually) is in love.  

I am somewhat new to MUDs: I played on a MUD around '95 and enjoyed it, though it had nowhere near the depth present here.  I have played on MUSHes and other RP-centric games for the last ten years or so, and my concept of RP is different to what I see here.  I'm used to sending a short paragraph of my own words (perhaps a bit longer than the one above) and waiting five minutes for the other person to write a response.  I find it strange to use pre-written emotes.  In my MUSHing experience, scenes are usually pre-arranged or at least agreed-upon by players in a particular location, so there's no such thing as a surprise attack OOCly: we know we're going to do a scene where such-and-such attacks the other guys or what-have-you.  It's quite different here, where there are people busy doing this or that in-game and not willing or able to RP.  But how to tell, aside from insanely asking?  

When I first began playing I had no desire to get into PvP.  I'm starting to come around to the idea, though I'm very nervous.  I would also like to take part in other offensive activities such as shrine attacks, but I don't want to wind up unable to walk the world without being randomly ganked.  I've walked away from games where I'm 'farmed' -- I don't find that fun.  I'm willing to take the consequences of my actions, but I'm not sure how much I can get involved in without winding up with a character who steps out onto the highway and is instantly atomised by an adventurer.  I once blundered into the under-construction Targossas when a member of the Ivory Mark was there, and I was sure he was just going to hand me my heart.  My own OOC heart was pounding as I tried to get away from him before he killed me.  I don't find that terribly fun either.  How true is it that if I stick my little toe over the wrong line the world will descend to annihilate me?  HELP PK seems to indicate there needs to be a cause, but that doesn't inherently preclude anybody from just nuking you 'cos you're there.  If there's IC reason for someone/group to be antagonistic toward me, I should at least hope there might be some IC interaction of the spoken kind before I visit Thoth.

Many of my questions can be answered in-character by my betters and those I'll direct that way, in due time (so as not to be the 'oh no, here she comes with another twelve thousand questions' one).  A few I thought I'd toss out here as well.

I'm starting to learn Runelore now and I'm starting to want to stock up on inks.  The biggest batches I've seen are tens.  I'd love to buy 50s or 100s (provided I can scare up the cash required).  Is it possible for a Mhaldorian to shop outside Mhaldor or Delos?  From an RP standpoint I expect my Mhaldorian betters would frown on such a thing: I should support Mhaldor with my coin, not its foes.

Speaking of RP, it's quiet in Mhaldor much of the time, to my experience.  I'm shy and low-ranking and the IC culture of 'speak when spoken to' and general harshness (which I like, by the way: it's very Klingon) makes me nervous about trying to start anything up with anybody.  When my character was first enslaved I had the opportunity to chat with a few other Malefics in the tavern, and that was wonderful.  I learned a few things and got to RP as well.  I haven't had much RP beyond that I've had with my mentor since then.  Maybe it's just me, but I get the sense that folks are too busy to RP, especially the high-rankers in Mhaldor.  I don't want to be a pest, but I would love to discuss the Seven Truths or Sartan or whatever with people IC, beginning in a safe place (i.e. Mhaldor).

Comments

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo

You'd be surprised. Just speak to people. I am new  in Mhaldor too, but I'd love to meet your character ic.

As for shopping, you can shop in Ashtan too. Hashan is enemying mhaldorians who trespass into the city, but maybe you could sneak in a few purchases first. Likewise with Cyrene.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• VayneVayne Rhode Island
    CITY ENEMY CHAIMRA sneaking a few in.
  • DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    edited March 2013
    Ninja'd by @Vayne.
  • As far as worrying about getting ganked for getting involved in shrine conflict/raiding/etc, it's probably not a huge concern. It's not completely without risk, of course, and some Marks will go after whatever Infamous members of an enemy city they see. But whatever infamy you get from a single raid/skirmish will generally wear off within a day, and most people aren't going to be super gung-ho about going after an obvious newbie/lowbie. You'll almost certainly end up enemied to whatever organisations the conflict is with, and will need to be a little careful about where you wander on account of that (though that's going to be nigh unavoidable as a Mhaldorian anyway, so you might as well get used to it now), and you may well end up getting killed a few times outside of those conflicts; generally, though, people are pretty good about showing restraint in such things, and I would say none of that should keep you from getting involved in group combat if you want to.
  • Vayne said:
    Does that mean you've just enemied me to your city?
  • Shirszae said:

You'd be surprised. Just speak to people. I am new  in Mhaldor too, but I'd love to meet your character ic.

As for shopping, you can shop in Ashtan too. Hashan is enemying mhaldorians who trespass into the city, but maybe you could sneak in a few purchases first. Likewise with Cyrene.

I look forward to meeting you IC.
  • Eld said:
    You'll almost certainly end up enemied to whatever organisations the conflict is with, and will need to be a little careful about where you wander on account of that (though that's going to be nigh unavoidable as a Mhaldorian anyway, so you might as well get used to it now), and you may well end up getting killed a few times outside of those conflicts;
    I realise the rest of Sapience has problems with Mhaldorians, so that's not unexpected, and I would expect to be branded an enemy if I help to defile a shrine.
    Eld said:
    generally, though, people are pretty good about showing restraint in such things, and I would say none of that should keep you from getting involved in group combat if you want to.
    Glad to hear that.  Thanks for the reply.
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    Chaimra said:
    Vayne said:
    No I'm just teasing, if you get caught in Hashan and you actually will be though.
  • Vayne said:
    Chaimra said:
    Vayne said:
    No I'm just teasing, if you get caught in Hashan and you actually will be though.
    Well, alright, then. :)
  • You don't have to worry about being killed in Targossas, the saferoom works both ways.

• RuthRuth Singapore
    You should always feel free to approach any high ranking individuals in Mhaldor. You'll find that we are perfectly cordial - if you can call it that - to newbies/slaves/new people who talk to us. I enjoy talking about the Mhaldorian ideologies and I don't find myself bothered by taking the time out to do so. @Jurixe, @Aepas, @Xer, @Sherazad, @Kaevan and even @Carmain are names I'll throw out as people I'n sure who wouldn't mind the interactions.

That said, also feel free to initiate conversations with other slaves/citizens. I don't believe they will entirely shut you out.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• (never posting after Ruth again. I kept getting distracted by the waving bear in her signature just above the posting box >( )
    And your red pandas do the same thing to me and others, probably.

When my alt got recruited to Mhaldor, it was amazing the interaction I had with @Nizaris and @Mishgul. I really wish I had been more active with that alt, but I had gotten Senator shortly after making that alt. I'd say all high-ranked city people, and especially in Houses will help you however and whenever they can. Yes, it's a busy job, but helping novices is one of the more important things to most of us, if not all of us.
    meh

• Most of us won't bite. Novices anyway. :)

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• I feel you. I never interacted with anyone as a novice short of apologizing for being inactive all the time and taking forever with my requirements, and still don't interact with people much. This is entirely my own fault, of course, as it really isn't hard to get more involved, and all the above testimony should show that.

I just like to remember that all the players are really friendly, and want nothing more to make the game an engaging experience. They just play gruff sadists for whom the definition of 'fun' is committing mass slaughter and torture. So yeah, as long as you interact in-role, people will be happy to interact with you. It's why people play, after all

• RuthRuth Singapore
    Yes, we are cereal killers.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    for cereal!

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • This is a Mhaldor-centric discussion, so I'll keep my thoughts brief and let the appropriate luminaries, Ruth, Jurixe et al guide you.

First, welcome to Achaea. Stick with us and we will become your favorite hobby. New blood is of critical importance to everyone, and only the most myopic and embittered of the plauerbase will decline to go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable if you let us know your status.

Your bad experience with Targossas shouldn't put you off completely to interaction with factional enemies. That said, trespass is a perfectly valid IC cause for attack, and every faction has trigger-happy members. A novice Targossian/Shallamese should expect to get similar treatment if they set foot in Mhaldor, or even the greater island. Most people will give a stern warning or even forcible but nonlethal ejection to a newbie before unleashing hell on them.

If RP is what you're after, you're in luck. Achaea is in the midst of a game-wide player-driven renaissance of roleplay, where the always-on, enthusiastic player type is becoming common and the frequently-OOC, crass players are becoming a rarity.

Lastly, I have to echo those counseling you to be unafraid of interacting with superiors, including gods. Every single one of them has a player just like you behind the keyboard. Hell, I'd (conservatively) estimate that between a third and half the players you see at any given time are in their undies. If that doesn't help make interaction easier I don't know what will.

Welcome to your favorite time/money sink. If you're ever in the market for a cross-faction debate of Evil vs Good, drop Tan a line.
  • @Tanaar it's probably just you in your underwear, and you're projecting that on half of achaea to make you feel better about it. :P

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Chaimra said:
    (I composed this over a period of about a week and changed my stance and understanding of a thing or two in that time, so please forgive the disjointed nature of this post.)

I've been playing Achaea for about a month now and I love it.  I love the depth of history and culture the game sports.  I, the player, actually have to study to advance in my house ranks.  My inner bookworm (okay, so it's not that inner actually) is in love.  

I am somewhat new to MUDs: I played on a MUD around '95 and enjoyed it, though it had nowhere near the depth present here.  I have played on MUSHes and other RP-centric games for the last ten years or so, and my concept of RP is different to what I see here.  I'm used to sending a short paragraph of my own words (perhaps a bit longer than the one above) and waiting five minutes for the other person to write a response.  I find it strange to use pre-written emotes.  In my MUSHing experience, scenes are usually pre-arranged or at least agreed-upon by players in a particular location, so there's no such thing as a surprise attack OOCly: we know we're going to do a scene where such-and-such attacks the other guys or what-have-you.  It's quite different here, where there are people busy doing this or that in-game and not willing or able to RP.  But how to tell, aside from insanely asking?  

When I first began playing I had no desire to get into PvP.  I'm starting to come around to the idea, though I'm very nervous.  I would also like to take part in other offensive activities such as shrine attacks, but I don't want to wind up unable to walk the world without being randomly ganked.  I've walked away from games where I'm 'farmed' -- I don't find that fun.  I'm willing to take the consequences of my actions, but I'm not sure how much I can get involved in without winding up with a character who steps out onto the highway and is instantly atomised by an adventurer.  I once blundered into the under-construction Targossas when a member of the Ivory Mark was there, and I was sure he was just going to hand me my heart.  My own OOC heart was pounding as I tried to get away from him before he killed me.  I don't find that terribly fun either.  How true is it that if I stick my little toe over the wrong line the world will descend to annihilate me?  HELP PK seems to indicate there needs to be a cause, but that doesn't inherently preclude anybody from just nuking you 'cos you're there.  If there's IC reason for someone/group to be antagonistic toward me, I should at least hope there might be some IC interaction of the spoken kind before I visit Thoth.

Many of my questions can be answered in-character by my betters and those I'll direct that way, in due time (so as not to be the 'oh no, here she comes with another twelve thousand questions' one).  A few I thought I'd toss out here as well.

I'm starting to learn Runelore now and I'm starting to want to stock up on inks.  The biggest batches I've seen are tens.  I'd love to buy 50s or 100s (provided I can scare up the cash required).  Is it possible for a Mhaldorian to shop outside Mhaldor or Delos?  From an RP standpoint I expect my Mhaldorian betters would frown on such a thing: I should support Mhaldor with my coin, not its foes.

Speaking of RP, it's quiet in Mhaldor much of the time, to my experience.  I'm shy and low-ranking and the IC culture of 'speak when spoken to' and general harshness (which I like, by the way: it's very Klingon) makes me nervous about trying to start anything up with anybody.  When my character was first enslaved I had the opportunity to chat with a few other Malefics in the tavern, and that was wonderful.  I learned a few things and got to RP as well.  I haven't had much RP beyond that I've had with my mentor since then.  Maybe it's just me, but I get the sense that folks are too busy to RP, especially the high-rankers in Mhaldor.  I don't want to be a pest, but I would love to discuss the Seven Truths or Sartan or whatever with people IC, beginning in a safe place (i.e. Mhaldor).

There is this guy called Carmain, in your house, i think he's a droch or something, but if you give him dead lycopods crazy things happen. Cereally crazy.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    Hi @Chaimra. It's been fun playing with you so far, and looking forward to interacting with you more.
  • Katzchen said:
    @Tanaar it's probably just you in your underwear, and you're projecting that on half of achaea to make you feel better about it. :P
    Probably right. I certainly wouldn't put on underwear just to play Achaea.
  • The leaders of Mhaldor and Congregation House that I've encountered in-game have been super helpful and very generous with their time. Me, as the person behind Drauka, do realize that actual people are taking time out of whatever they may have had otherwise planned to allocate a chunk of it to spend on me and I value that.

The game may have different ideals and beliefs in each city and house in-game, but we're all just nerds typing on the same mud. I would hope almost everyone is in it to have an enjoyable time :)

As a Mhaldorian, you can get killed by stepping into the wrong places or at least an attempt on your character's life. Hashan and Targossas areas could put you in the cross-fire. I did get cleanly in and out of Cyrene without anyone saying anything until I waved at Blu (I didn't realize Mhaldor and Cyrene were at odds at the time), but they were polite about asking me to leave and explaining why I wasn't welcomed which I thought was cool and peaceful of them, so Cyrene. Conflict makes things interesting.
  • @Chaimra: We're generally nice enough folks. If we see a Mhaldorian novice stray into our area, we give them the courtesy of a warning to portal out. Unless they're being stubborn, then we skip to the 'throwing them off the waterfalls' part.

• Leave targossas. You can do this by embracing death. This is your first and last warning
  • @Seftin: Is this before or after we kill the trespasser?

• Theres a before you kill them part??!