Origin of the Horkval

The Horkval are a very strange race, being the only invertebrate humanoid in Sapience that I know of.
The only mention of them in mythology is that Aegis possessed a legion of them in a war, and that they lined up as a phalanx with their spears and reflective shields blahbluhblah.

Where did they come from?
Were there ever small societies of Horkval? What were they like? Did they differ as much as human societies in real life?
Would the Hair/no-hair, Mandible/no-mandibles, plate thickness/color imply that there are multiple "sub-species" comparable to real life human ethnicities?

When ever I ask any of these questions I am simply dismissed and told to read the massive lore scroll, that I have already read, and to go ask other players.
Correct me if I'm wrong but does that essentially mean that its up to the player what their long lost ancestors were like? To a given degree of course.
It sounds like what people are implying, but they're afraid to say it because of the potential for abuse.
And me asking around IC makes my character appear to be unconfident about her past, which would completely destroy the personality schema I'm trying to set up for her.

So lets get this straight, IS there any hard lore on the Horkvali peoples, and what do you personally think The ancient Horkval were like?

Comments

• The origin of the horkval has never been revealed/discovered, as far as I know. Regarding your first sentence, since I get the same messages about broken bones as anyone else, I've personally always pictured horkval as invertebrates, just with exoskeleton-like carapaces and other insectoid exterior features; that may well just be me, though.
  • Pretty sure there is no hard lore. On the other hand, I know who to ask.

Kuchiose no Jutsu! @Delphinus

Never really thought about ancient Horkvals. I suspect they were generic, created by Aegis. Ethnicities, such as they are, exist.
  • edited March 2013
    I would recommend the history of the Seleucarian Empire. It's a great story, and though it doesn't explicitly detail what you're asking about, there are hints of their origins within.

Edit: The largest NPC horkval colony, and the only dedicated one to date, is the Rapo'kir Hive out in Ulangi. For a general sense of culture, that might help.
  • Ah ha! My summoning techniques work!
  • @Delphinus
    Wow, just looking up "Rapo'kir Hive" in the achaea wiki gave me a good bit of the info I needed to know.
    I'm considering making a "Pilgrimage" out there. How would I get there? Any hazards I should know of? Reccomended level?
    You've been a great help by the way.
  • Kyorkcha said:
    @Delphinus
    Wow, just looking up "Rapo'kir Hive" in the achaea wiki gave me a good bit of the info I needed to know.
    I'm considering making a "Pilgrimage" out there. How would I get there? Any hazards I should know of? Reccomended level?
    You've been a great help by the way.
    HELP ULANGI will probably get you what you need to know. It's a ferry ride from Shastaan, nothing agressive there so should be safe for any level.
  • But if you run across stag's horn, give me dem.
  • All kidding aside, Ulangi is easy to get to, just gotta pay the ferry fee back and forth from Shastaan. No danger of death. Another race is also on Ulangi, you might be interested in (just sayin').

Like the guide said on the newbie channel to you today, the best way to find out is to talk to other Horkvals :) 
  • On the other hand, revealing more of the Horkvali origins would make for a great set-up for a new mega-event, so that's always nice.

• Drauka said:
    All kidding aside, Ulangi is easy to get to, just gotta pay the ferry fee back and forth from Shastaan. No danger of death. Another race is also on Ulangi, you might be interested in (just sayin').

Like the guide said on the newbie channel to you today, the best way to find out is to talk to other Horkvals :) 
    Nah, no one cares about you slimy frogmen.
  • I set up two Horkval clans in the 10(?) years I've been playing, first was on my first character that was shrubbed and was taken over by Delehyla, second was on Draqoom. I think the shortnames of each are Horvkals (Delehyla's) and TheHive (Draqoom's). Unfortunately in that 10(?) year span it's never been sat down and decided amongst the players what the Horkval History should be. This is largely in part to Horkval not being one of the more popular races I'd imagine, and the people who do pick them tend to be more of a hunter/pk mindset rather than a philosophical one.

If you ask me though Horkvals should come from another plane where there is constant war, strife and factionalism. Horkvals seem to be more or less like humanoid ants based on Ulangi Horkval society, the group fighting mentality and mention in the lore as well as their carapaces. They also seem to take some things from Mantis' (menace sounds like something a mantis would do) and grasshoppers what with leaping around.

If you'd like to contribute to the formalized history of the Horkval in game by all means pick the race and message Draqoom to induct you into the clan.

Also, eff them slimy toads that the Horkvals share Ulangi with. Horkval Pride!

• @Draqoom
    It seems like the lore implies the horkval originated from Nishnatoba. Isn't that the same realm the Icons are on? I'm probably mixing things up, though. I try to play my horkval as insectoid and alien as possible. Occasionally calling on non-game factors like pheromones for rp material. Since everything on Ulangi was so differently described from my horkval, when someone jokingly asked me if i was visiting relatives, I became edgy/aggressive saying that they possessed a different scent from me... and they were no longer my breed.
  • Kyorkcha said:
    It seems like the lore implies the horkval originated from Nishnatoba. Isn't that the same realm the Icons are on? I'm probably mixing things up, though.
    Nishnatoba is where the War of Humanity (where the horkval fought for Aegis in the Mythos) was fought. None of the races originated there, they were just brought there to fight.
  • @Kyorkcha
    I use the scent thing sometimes myself and have used it to explain how I knew a couple of my children from the rest of the populace. I think you're doing fine based on what you've said here :)

• edited March 2013
    Origin of Horkval?

Someone decided to test the 'Cockroaches can survive anything' notion and put them under extreme radiation for extended periods of time.

Ten years later.

Horkvals.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • That said, here's an interesting read. Aetolia's take:

http://dev.aetolia.com/game/helpview/aetolia/the-origin-of-the-horkval
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Trevize said:
    That said, here's an interesting read. Aetolia's take:

Interesting read, but eff that. There's no way I'd be cool with my race originating from some mentally unstable woman deciding to cannibalize her lover

• @Draqoom: On the origin of species,

Tsol'aa: creation.
    Human: tentacle rape.
    Troll: rape, then cross-breeding.
    Mhun: rape, then plagues.
    Rajamala: ???
    Atavian: rape, then wings.
    Dwarf: creation, then ensoulment.
    Xoran: rape, then more rape.
    Satyr: forced transformation.
    Grook: ???
    Siren: forced transformation.

Not that we should plunder Aetolia's lore, but I'm just saying, post-coital cannibalism wouldn't be overly weird or severe. Contextually.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    edited March 2013
    Draqoom said:
    Trevize said:
    That said, here's an interesting read. Aetolia's take:

Interesting read, but eff that. There's no way I'd be cool with my race originating from some mentally unstable woman deciding to cannibalize her lover
    This is why you always offered to buy the lady breakfast before sending them onto the walk of shame.  Feed her and avoid being cannibalized.
  • @Delphinus: Trolls are more of "Post-War of Humanity Me Love You Long Time shenanigans", iirc.