What's cooking?

Comments

• So... since tomorrow is St Patrick's day, and also my daughter's (3rd!) birthday, I do St Patrick's day dinnerstuffs the day before (TODAY!)

I found a recipe from my aunt on Irish Soda Bread... now, afaik, authentic Irish soda bread has no fruit, butter, or frills, and this recipe is just self rising flour and beer, I did Guiness. I forgot to grease my loaf pan, but it still turned out really good. And right now I have imitation shepherd's pie in the oven- I say imitation because I'm using ground beef instead of lamb since we can almost never find lamb of any sort nearby.
    meh

• edited March 2013
    Beer Brisket:

1 crockpot
    1 can beer
    1 brisket
    water
    potatoes, carrots, and cabbage as desired

chop potatoes and carrots and layer in bottom of crock (if desired, they usually don't taste awesome afterwards, but some people are funny about having meat on the bottom of the crock). put brisket in (fat side up) with seasoning packet (or pickling seasoning). pour one can (12oz) beer into crock. Fill with water (to cover brisket). cook on low for at LEAST 8h (mine'll be in for 12h, give or take). Add cabbage leaves during last 30m. DO NOT open crock at any other point!

Another awesome way to do potatoes (which i'll be doing tomorrow night) - 
    scrub and dice red potatoes into bite size chunks. put in saucepan. cover with water. Add dash or three of salt. Bring to boil, cut heat to simmer, cook for 15-20m. Drain. Slather with 4tbs butter/margarine. parsley for presentation. TADA. herbed potatoes that are full of nom. Hub didn't want baked potatoes tomorrow. 

And then there's the Bailey's fudge...

edit: forgot one thing

• Ah the soda bread I make has always been equal parts (maybe 250g?) wholemeal self-raising flour and plain flour, bit of salt, pinch of bicarbonate of soda (hence the name), and buttermilk (probably around 500ml? Sorry don't have the recipe on me, it's in one of my boxes).  Mix it all together, 200°C oven for 30 min, and there you go. So simple and quick, now I've a hunkering for it.

I've been ill for a week and have mainly been surviving from noodle soups and what have you. Last Sunday my dad made me lamb and egg soup:

Cut the lamb into small pieces, rinse and dry it.
    Soften a finely chopped onion in a saucepan with some butter. Combine the lamb, turning it to brown on all sides and season with salt and pepper.
    Dissolve a spoon of plain flour in a ladle of hot (meat) stock and pour it over the lamb. Add the rest of the stock to cover the lamb well, cover the pan and cook over low heat for about an hour, adding more broth if it goes dry.
    After that, pick out the lamb pieces and keep them aside, in a warm (but turned off) oven maybe.
    Beat 2 eggs with the juice of a lemon (or half a lemon, depending on how much you're making). Add it in the broth in a steady trickle, whisking constantly so that it breaks apart. It's supposed to have the consistency of egg drop soup.
    Add the lamb again, make sure it's lovely and warm, and serve up. You can add finely chopped parsley too if you like it.

• My recipe is quite literally 2 2/3 cups of self-rising flour (which is flour, salt, and baking powder) and a 12oz beer. 
    meh

• Shepherd's pie with beef is a cottage pie. Also, why is nobody making potato farls?

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Cottage pie is delicious. The lady that owns the diner near my office makes it once a week. She really inspires me to want to cook.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• My first try @ making French Onion Soup was a moderate success (aka "girl too sick and skint to go grocery shopping but with an abundance of onions" soup), even w/ limited ingredients, but then again the main ingredient's the caramelised onions and I love caramelising onions, it's fun watching them change.

Since my recipe isn't definitive and needs some tweaking, here's what I based it on, minus the Gruyere. I made the croutons in the oven with some parmesan and toast.

Trick to quick caramelising, a sprinkle of brown sugar and french sea salt (or kosher salt, or whatever salt you have handy) over the onions as they soften. I didn't have bay leaf, but thyme was good enough. Another recipe suggested a squeeze of lemon juice, and since I love lemons, I did just that. Lifted the flavour nicely.
  • I tried to microwave a cookie last night, managed to put it on for 2:00 minutes instead of 20 seconds...

• Wow. That's so cool.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    What's cooking? Two steaks, and some steamed broccoli. That's it!

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    I keep thinking about brownies and I haven't baked in a while but I wanted to share my recipe.

Brownies

200g butter
    ½ cup cocoa
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    2 cups brown sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla essence
    2 eggs
    1 cup flour
    ½ cup chopped walnuts

1. Turn over to 180°C (350ºF). Grease a 30x18cm tin.

2. Put butter and cocoa in a big pan. Melt gently over very low heat. Don't boil it!

3. Add salt, sugar and vanilla. Stir it really well.

4. Take pan off heat. Sift in flour. Stir it in.

5. Add eggs. Beat them in really well.

6. Add chopped walnuts. Stir in.

7. Spread evenly in tin. Bake 20-25 minutes.

8. When cool, ice with chocolate icing.

I never actually thought to take pictures after they were done cooking and I had sliced them up. My brownies always turn out incredibly moist, very rich in flavour, and they just melt in your mouth. I might joke about them being toe curling, but they are seriously that good. >_>
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Apricot Loaf

½ cup finely chopped dried apricots
    ½ cup milk
    125g butter
    ½ cup sugar
    3 eggs
    2 cups self-raising flour
    1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
    ¼ cup chopped walnuts

1. Put apricots and milk in a bowl. Set aside for 30 minutes.

2. Turn oven to 180°C (350°F). Grease 23x13cm loaf tin.

3. Beat butter and sugar well until smooth and creamy.

4. Add eggs. Beat them in very well.

5. Mix in apricots and milk. Stir in lemon rind.

6. Sift in flour. Mix it in well.

7. Spread mixture all evenly in the tin.

8. Sprinkle walnuts on top. Bake 55-60 minutes.

Before the oven:

After the oven:

My apricot loaf turned out a lot more dry than anticipated. I put this down to the motor in the mixmaster being wet because some idiot decided it would be a fantastic idea to clean the entire machine and not dry it out before putting it back in the cupboard, and the machine blowing up. I had to mix everything by hand which either resulted in too much airation or not enough. The consistency of the dough wasn't that great and the loaf should have turned out much more moist.

• Looks and sounds almost like a chocolate hedgehog.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Berenene said:

Looks and sounds almost like a chocolate hedgehog.

They were cut up into squares and the walnuts were really broken up. It made for nice texture and a little bit of crunchiness.

Less mental images of chocolate coated hedgehods with walnuts impaled in spines. ;)

• Kyrra said:
    Looks and sounds almost like a chocolate hedgehog.
    They were cut up into squares and the walnuts were really broken up. It made for nice texture and a little bit of crunchiness. Less mental images of chocolate coated hedgehods with walnuts impaled in spines. ;)
    What? You don't eat chocolate coated hedgehogs with walnuts impaled on their spines?
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Epic Steak Sandwich 

• edited March 2013
    imageimage

Ended up being my dinner as I had to take someone to the hospital. No complaints! My rasta egg is kinda cool.
  • Drauka said:
    imageimage

Ended up being my dinner as I had to take someone to the hospital. No complaints! My rasta egg is kinda cool.
    How does having to take someone to the hospital not involve complaints?
  • Update on the carrot cake: total success. I brought it into work, and had a bunch of people ask for the recipe and tell me how good it was.
  • @Eld: like it didn't ruin my night or anything, just doing what you gotta do. (difficult for me to get bummed out)
  • I've raved about them before, but tonight I'm caving on my "eating somewhat healthy" thing and eating mint chocolate meringue cookies. So that's what's cookin for me!
    meh

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    I forgot to take a picture. I made a leftover nacho beef pasta thing.

everything was leftover except the pasta.

Some strips of panfried beef,
    1 diced tomato
    nacho cheese.
    milk

add the beef and tomato into a small pot, stir it around a bit on high heat as it starts to sizzle. dump in the cheese and lower heat, keep stirring while melting the cheese. add milk to desired consistency and peri salt to taste.

Pour on pasta, pray leftovers hadn't actually gone bad, and serve.

• not perfect, but damn good
    meh

• @Trilliana are those cinnamon swirls?

Augh, for various reasons I've hardly cooked from scratch in over a month. You lot are all making me jealous. The furthest I got was trying tea-stained eggs, but ended up eating them hard-boiled and forgot about the tea... Very scatty, recently!

• @Sybilla Cinnamon Rolls! it was a 90 minute recipe and it basically lived up to it. 
    meh

This discussion has been closed.