Fishing

Comments

• edited March 2013
    @Wysteria I guess it depends on what satisfies one as profit, H is easily satisfied, and as for me, I genuinely enjoy fishing as opposed to some other activities and don't find it boring because I'm usually reading in-game news, or actually reading a book, or doing other game-related stuff like working on my triggers/aliases etc. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Also, I'm usually music-nerding while I'm fishing. ;)

Also, re timing improving your odds catching fish, that's very true, but you also have to factor in that some hours of the RL day, the nibbles are few and far between. I'm wondering if this is true of all rivers or just certain rivers at certain times. There are times the river I fish in (not going to say which) has a "dead time".

• Ugh, fishing. Profitable or not, I don't know how anyone can stand it.

Then again, to each their own!
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    I rather enjoy fishing as something to do and I usually donate any deep sea baits I fish up to @Oceana.

I just don't really the time to spend on it as an activity for relaxation. I wish that I did.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• OceanaOceana North Sea
    Fishing has many purposes really:
    - catch deepsea bait yourself
    - catch fish to cook for ship crew
    - fish and talk/teach/socialize
    - fish and write (posts/poems/designs)
    - fish and forestwatch
    - finally catch that elusive record fish...
  • Oceana said:
    - fish and forestwatch
    My grove is in Black Forest on the really leafy side! Can't forestwatch and fish from 15 rooms in a mix of e, se, n and ne from my spot!

Fly fishing from kilometers away...that'd be an idea.
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

• I wish I hadn't put lessons in seafaring >_> Or well, perhaps I should raid the taverns around the world and look for a fun crew looking for another member :s Shouldn't be too hard for a Siren right? ;))
  • Oceana said:
    - fish and forestwatch
    - finally catch that elusive record fish..
    Want to like this more than once. Especially the bolded bit.
  • OceanaOceana North Sea

Wysteria said:
    Oceana said:
    - fish and forestwatch
    My grove is in Black Forest on the really leafy side! Can't forestwatch and fish from 15 rooms in a mix of e, se, n and ne from my spot!

Fly fishing from kilometers away...that'd be an idea.
    Allied or ported groves!
  • Oceana said:
    - fish and forestwatch
    You forgot that with the new communication changes (which I do think are great) commscreen is the only real way to get some sense of privacy, avoid idiocy and still get things done, and hey fish for profit while you redesign and edit whole bag full of awesome.

• OceanaOceana North Sea
    Rinzai said:
    Oceana said:
    You forgot that with the new communication changes (which I do think are great) commscreen is the only real way to get some sense of privacy, avoid idiocy and still get things done, and hey fish for profit while you redesign and edit whole bag full of awesome.

It's not the only way. ;)
  • I'm all for an increase in pay out, but I'd like to see a larger endurance AND willpower drain based upon the type of fish you have hooked. Anyone who has fished all day knows that it is actually pretty tough on your mind and body. 
  • Oceana said:
    Rinzai said:
    Oceana said:

It's not the only way. ;)
    Before commscreen, bed was a great investment.
  • Wolverine's claws cost 500 credits and offer privacy accessible from wherever you are, as long as it's burrowable ground.

Beds cost 475 credits, plus the price for building a room to place it in, and you need to walk there first to get privacy.
  • After listening to people talk about fishing in the open seas,

• Tekk said:
    I'm all for an increase in pay out, but I'd like to see a larger endurance AND willpower drain based upon the type of fish you have hooked. Anyone who has fished all day knows that it is actually pretty tough on your mind and body. 

My character spends most of his time running around biting, stabbing, and beheading people while getting slashed by swords, afflicted by venoms, attacked by chaotic entities, and blasted by powerful magic. You expect him to get all tuckered out while -fishing-?

• Yeah. Any high level/might adventurer is likely to be capable of much greater physical and mental feats than most RL humans.
  • That's really not the point of willpower and endurance. ;) They are gating mechanisms that can as easily be applied to fishing as anything else that we wish to discourage the 24/7 nature of. 
  • Sarapis said:
    That's really not the point of willpower and endurance. ;) They are gating mechanisms that can as easily be applied to fishing as anything else that we wish to discourage the 24/7 nature of. 
    This. If you want more 'bang for your buck' you have to give up something in return. Engaging in an activity that has little to no risk but a moderate pay out shouldn't leave you capable of running around biting and stabbing people all day. You have to either accept fishing is a low profit/low cost activity or you're going to give up something for it.

The con to the WP/endurance drain is it will only hurt combat and bashers. 
  • Can we just cut out the middle man and have a denizen that buys willpower and endurance for gold?
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    edited March 2013
    Campfires, grove rain, alchemist willpower fills, endurance and willpower housing upgrades, sleeping, meditation, endurance rings, willpower circlets and the non-circlet equivilent.

Edit: Tattoos as well! Ox and megalith.

Lot of options!
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Fitness and Philosophy!
    ~:>
  • Dying!

Does that still reset endurance/will? I knew a few people bashing to dragon years ago that would die to recover, because regaining the xp was faster than waiting to recover.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • It does, yep.
  • But...what do ways of regenerating endurance and willpower have to do with anything in this discussion?
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Eld said:

But...what do ways of regenerating endurance and willpower have to do with anything in this discussion?

Sancero said:

Can we just cut out the middle man and have a denizen that buys willpower and endurance for gold?

• No no, I want to sell my willpower and endurance to a denizen for gold, instead of fishing all day. O:-)
  • Kyrra said:
    But...what do ways of regenerating endurance and willpower have to do with anything in this discussion?
    Can we just cut out the middle man and have a denizen that buys willpower and endurance for gold?
    But none of the things you listed are people you can give up endurance or willpower to and get gold in return. I'm still lost.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    edited March 2013
    Well, if you can provide half those things, you can get gold for regenerating someone elses endurance or willpower?

I have a house will full regens that I let friends use, and when I am on my forestal, some people will pay a lot for a grove rain and the use of a circlet.

It's not exactly the same as selling your own directly for gold but it's a happy compromise!

• There's currently no gold profit activity in the game that is significantly limited by either willpower or endurance, so I don't know what you all are going on about.

• Sancero said:
    No! Because you still need a risk of losing said gold.