Rankings IC or OOC?

I'm unclear of if it is.

An in-game reasoning can be that they are just so famous, everyone is talking about the top people.  The entire in-game world should know of Delphinus as a great explorer and historian, or no?

Comments

• Depends on the rankings, I would think. The explorer and combat rankings are both nominally governed by IG organisations, though it's less clear how the explorer rankings are supposed to be tracked. XP ranks seem more ooc.
  • edited March 2013
    I treat them as IC, while trying not to put too great an emphasis on them. I'd generally avoid talking about the numbers too much (particularly past the top five or ten ranks or so) and would only do so if it was particularly relevant in a situation. After all, if someone challenges Iocun to a combat spar, the rankings are certainly a relevant point of discussion there, but otherwise I wouldn't mention them overly much. And in most situations I'd refer to someone ranked 6th in experience simply as "one of the greatest hunters", but I'd have no issues with mentioning IC if someone passed Penwize and achieved the first rank.

So, all in all, I'm fine with seeing them as an IC thing, but I prefer verbal descriptions to numbers whenever feasible.
  • Iocun said:
    So, all in all, I'm fine with seeing them as an IC thing, but I prefer verbal descriptions to numbers whenever feasible.
    Indeed. I sorta view it as just someone famous or that people talk about at. Definitely only really the top people, the "champions" if you will.